joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Obs.

LithiaWx

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up .35" when that line of storms passed through. Wish it had been more towards the GR3 estimates of 1". Will take what it was, though, since there's not much rain in the foreseeable future. Since officially this counts for October rain by CoCoRaHS methodology, we ended up September with just 2.41".

No I'm sure he's correct. With the temperature and dewpoint it's really incredible that it is happening up there. Some of those stations are within 500 feet of the summit...

Agreed, elevation and placement of the station is critical, because we are dealing with a NW snowfall event.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

"Just for perspective snowing on September 30 is the equivalent of it snowing on May 1st in the spring.#wncwx #snOMG" Brad Panovich

"Snow on Beech Mtn tonight might be the earliest ever, the records aren't all that great. #wncwx #snOMG" Brad Panovich

"Here we’ll(watagaroads) update the reports of wind and possible snow reports we get from the Facebook and twitter feeds." http://wataugaroads....d-snow-reports/

"11:36pm- twitter report “Snowing on Deck Hill, elevation 3500′.”

Unconfirmed report of flurries lastnight near Greensboro on a storm chaser group on facebook.

Webcam image added below, added today.

Agreed, elevation and placement of the station is critical, because we are dealing with a NW snowfall event.

"Just for perspective snowing on September 30 is the equivalent of it snowing on May 1st in the spring.#wncwx #snOMG" Brad Panovich

Eh, don't know if I agree with his statement...yeah it's rare, but is it MAY 1st rare?

Eh, don't know if I agree with his statement...yeah it's rare, but is it MAY 1st rare?

We had snow on the highest elevation ridgetops in the SW NC Mtns (Great Balsams, Plott Balsams, Cowee Mtns, Smokies, etc.) on 5/17/11. Rare is relative I guess, unless we have stats to discuss which I don't; too lazy to look into it :arrowhead:

But I agree with you Jon, doesn't seem that rare.

We had snow on the highest elevation ridgetops in the SW NC Mtns (Great Balsams, Plott Balsams, Cowee Mtns, Smokies, etc.) on 5/17/11. Rare is relative I guess, unless we have stats to discuss which I don't; too lazy to look into it :arrowhead:

Yeah I can't argue it because I have no facts and lazy as well to look it up, haha...I'd just bet on a snow on 9/30 before a snow on 5/1...he's probably just talking about averages.

From the Slopeside Webcam on Beech it seems to be a fairly decent snow rate (light snow mainly, seems decent bc it's an early season snow) OR perhaps the high winds make it look rather dramatic, whipping the same flurry around and around and around :snowman:

I was messing with that webcam, trying to get another view but I can't figure it out...you can click the webcam at the bottom and enter username: visitor password: none

http://www.112skiway.com/webcam.htm

It snowed over like 50 + inches on MT Pisgah in the early 90's during the first week of MAY. even accumulated up west of Waynesville where you enter the parkway at Balsam several inches.

No SN here in ENC, yet... But the airport just recorded a 39mph gust after this line of strong storms, and check it, from the E. :huh: should have been w-nw right?

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KPGV.html

Nice line of storms through the east tonight, min svr, but 0.8 in the gauge within an hour, and 20 probs in the PM afd out of MHX ;)

Low of 37.7 for me so far, winds have died down so it may drop a little more. Some wind damage in spots around my house, a couple trees fallen and one snapped about halfway up.

Unfortunately my anemometer isn't in the ideal spot so it only recorded a maximum gust of 15mph last night.

Archived