Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
September Obs.

LithiaWx

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a perfect world with no budget, of course I'd have a Pro2 where I could separate components. But alas, the Vue it is. I know you have a Vue as well and have read your posts on WXforum and I know you feel the same way I do about wishing to have the Pro2. :D

I set a 6" x 6" post in my back yard a few days ago, buried 42" to get below even the worst winter frost line to ensure it stays plumb. That leaves me 54" above ground. I ordered the Davis mounting pole kit (which arrived at dusk last night, wish FedEx delivered earlier!) so I'll mount the pole to the post and mount the Vue on top.

The ISS should be about 6' AGL once installed so I'm sure I'll have some issues with accuracy both with rain and wind, but my location is fairly sheltered from wind so I figured I'd err towards the side of rainfall accuracy.

I'm also uploading to CWOP, WU, PWS and WeatherBug. Looking forward to setting up a web interface so I can access remotely on my own site rather than WU or WeatherBug.

My CWOP ID is DW8554.

I started off with a 4x4 on my first weather station, it ended up warping so I pulled it out and got a 10' piece of galvanized fence post and buried it 1.5' down. Been there ever since!

Glad to hear someone else around here has a weather station!

I started off with a 4x4 on my first weather station, it ended up warping so I pulled it out and got a 10' piece of galvanized fence post and buried it 1.5' down. Been there ever since!

Glad to hear someone else around here has a weather station!

I would love to get one or at the least a rain gauge. I'm a perfectionist though and I don't think I have an area where I could set up a station and have reliable readings. There are trees around and nowhere to collect good wind data either.

I would love to get one or at the least a rain gauge. I'm a perfectionist though and I don't think I have an area where I could set up a station and have reliable readings. There are trees around and nowhere to collect good wind data either.

You could at least get a CoCoRaHS rain gauge and report that! Less than $30. Many places sell them, just do a Google search!

We are so fortunate to be getting all this torential rain this time of year. So often, this time of year is bone dry. Over 7" for the driest month of the year ! Hopefully October will bring more of the same. Having so much rainfall in our dry season will certainly help the drought situation.

Atlanta average Monthly Precipitation

Jan 5.02in.

Feb 4.68in.

Mar 5.38in.

Apr 3.62in.

May 3.95in.

Jun 3.63in.

Jul 5.12in.

Aug 3.67in.

Sept 4.09in.

Oct 3.11in.

Nov 4.10in.

Dec 3.82in

Actually.... April, May, June, August, October, and December all have less rainfall than September on average.

WInter begins in 91 days wow !

You could at least get a CoCoRaHS rain gauge and report that! Less than $30. Many places sell them, just do a Google search!

I have looked into them. My only problem is I think my numbers would be contaminated. There is an open area but there is a large tree nearby and with some wind I think my gauge gets contaminated with the tree... Any suggestions? How out in the open does a gauge need to be to be accurate?

Month Precipitation

Jan 5.02in.

Feb 4.68in.

Mar 5.38in.

Apr 3.62in.

May 3.95in.

Jun 3.63in.

Jul 5.12in.

Aug 3.67in.

Sept 4.09in.

Oct 3.11in.

Nov 4.10in.

Dec 3.82in

Actually.... April, May, June, August, October, and December all have less rainfall than September on average.

I don't trust that at all. No way Atlanta averages more precip in September than in December.

I don't trust that at all. No way Atlanta averages more precip in September than in December.

It is a fact....30 year average 1981-2010, the first set of numbers were from the old norms, regardless, September is not our driest month and not drier than December no matter which average you look at.

http://www.srh.noaa....nfall_scorecard

I have looked into them. My only problem is I think my numbers would be contaminated. There is an open area but there is a large tree nearby and with some wind I think my gauge gets contaminated with the tree... Any suggestions? How out in the open does a gauge need to be to be accurate?

Without wind, any clearing would be fine. I think the rule of thumb is three times the height of the obstacle horizontally from the obstacle. I'm nowhere near getting that kind of clearance, but I do have a fairly open spot (however narrow it might be) so I'll see what my CWOP quality checks show over the next few months to see if my data is remotely accurate. My wind measurements won't be very good though.

Of course rain varies over distances so that data may not be helpful anyways. You could always try a CoCoRAHS gauge and see how your measurements compare to a nearby personal weather station or airport.

Without wind, any clearing would be fine. I think the rule of thumb is three times the height of the obstacle horizontally from the obstacle. I'm nowhere near getting that kind of clearance, but I do have a fairly open spot (however narrow it might be) so I'll see what my CWOP quality checks show over the next few months to see if my data is remotely accurate. My wind measurements won't be very good though.

Of course rain varies over distances so that data may not be helpful anyways. You could always try a CoCoRAHS gauge and see how your measurements compare to a nearby personal weather station or airport.

I think I'm in your situation. I have an area that if you look straight up is definitely clear and clear for many feet around it. The problem lies in the big tree and there is no way I have that kind of clearance that would be needed. I may just buy one of those CoCoRAHS gauges and see how it goes.

I picked up .5" this morning, .03" yesterday, and .1" the day before. More is on the way but my monthly total is 3.93". I'm ready for some bluebird skies and 50 degree mornings.

That's a nice total compared to me. I believe I'm only a bit over 2", yet literally right next to you. I had .06" yesterday, and a measly.04" today.

Jan 5.02in.

Feb 4.68in.

Mar 5.38in.

Apr 3.62in.

May 3.95in.

Jun 3.63in.

Jul 5.12in.

Aug 3.67in.

Sept 4.09in.

Oct 3.11in.

Nov 4.10in.

Dec 3.82in

Table format http://www.daculaweather.com/rainfallsummary_new.php

We are floating over here! Anyone got a good radar estimate map they can post for west Georgia? Ark requested. Storms have been firing here in the same area and training....in laws basement flooded from a crack in the foundation somewhere :( be careful what u wish for! You just might get it.

922rain.png

922rain.png

Thanks! That looks about right...hubby says we got 3 inches...or more! Our middle school football game was cancelled....1st time I remember that happening in a while....we have had on and off thunder for a few hours now....we are right on the axis of development....we continue to have storms fire around us....It has been raining at my house non stop since 4:15 p.m. or so....

Well, to be fair I'd like to see some historical data....since 30 years isn't much of a window into weather :) The 50's, 60's and 70's.... some of my favorite years, were a lot different from the last 30...at least to my feeble memories, lol. 60's colder and drier, 70's warmer and wetter...maybe? Although the 90's had a blizzard and that has to count for double, maybe triple just in style points :) But 60 years would probably show a more accurate average....and 120 even better.

I guess it will take Super Larry, and his Climo of Power to set the total record in place...but I suspect it will still be Oct. that is the driest. T

Jan 5.02in.

Feb 4.68in.

Mar 5.38in.

Apr 3.62in.

May 3.95in.

Jun 3.63in.

Jul 5.12in.

Aug 3.67in.

Sept 4.09in.

Oct 3.11in.

Nov 4.10in.

Dec 3.82in

zing

Like a fine wine, your posts continually improve with time... :lol:

Scattered moderate to heavy showers continued today, and much of the county is nearing or over two inches for the event.

Archived