Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
September Obs.

LithiaWx

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can say is wow, I'm jaw droppingly stunned...finally got trained upon. Just got back into town and got home to dump the Cocorahs gauge....it measured 5.01". This is the biggest rain event since "Faye" here, and looking at the radar estimates (which are under-done), most of the southern part of the county got clobbered..which is a switch. I'm extremely happy, the plants are happy, everything is washed clean and has a great look. I knew it was going to be a big total by the ditches, ponds and streams everywhere coming into my neighborhood, not to mention how things looked in uptown Shelby this morning even before the biggest part had got underway. Some seriously heavy rain, which we just don't get very often.

Shelby airport had 3.09", but just east and southeast of there was ground zero for this one (here and NC blizzard). I just hope I haven't used up all my big precip allottment for the next few years :arrowhead:

post-38-0-95624400-1316642380.jpg

Congrats Robert!!! Glad someone got a lot!

I think the radar estimates missed a lot because these rain clouds in many cases, were below the level of the radar.

:thumbsup:

All I can say is wow, I'm jaw droppingly stunned...finally got trained upon. Just got back into town and got home to dump the Cocorahs gauge....it measured 5.01". This is the biggest rain event since "Faye" here, and looking at the radar estimates (which are under-done), most of the southern part of the county got clobbered..which is a switch. I'm extremely happy, the plants are happy, everything is washed clean and has a great look. I knew it was going to be a big total by the ditches, ponds and streams everywhere coming into my neighborhood, not to mention how things looked in uptown Shelby this morning even before the biggest part had got underway. Some seriously heavy rain, which we just don't get very often.

Shelby airport had 3.09", but just east and southeast of there was ground zero for this one (here and NC blizzard). I just hope I haven't used up all my big precip allottment for the next few years :arrowhead:

:whistle:

the 12Z ECMWF gives all the Carolinas atleast one inch of rain, and by the time the upper low is gone completely, many get 2" and the coast is favored for a good bit more. Right now I'm not real impressed for my area to get much rain out of this setup so far. I think Friday morning will feature a decent amount of coverage , and maybe another spoke of vort will rotate through either over the weekend or early next week with another round of rain. Otherwise, pretty good rain in training over Alabama and scattered in GA and the central Carolinas, heavily favored though for the coast. The pockets of rain are so scattered it makes it hard for the models to get the areas right. I wouldn't be surprised to see a relative minimum though imby :axe: This makes 5 straight days of clouds, just a few drops of rain today though.

:thumbsup:

:whistle:

I blew it Eric. I was going to multiquote it, because I knew in this thread I was thinking I'd get the short end of the stick. Thanks for calling me on it. I take my lumps with this bad forecast. But honestly just look how small the max area was, but I think the bulk of the Upstate to here did ok for once. We never get trained on like this anymore, hopefully it happens again soon.

post-38-0-95624400-1316642380.jpg

I am totally surprised. It seems like its been forever since an event like this has happened. That extremely heavy rain just sat over us for hours. Our part of the county looks every bit like it received 5-6 inches. I was expecting to get at best half an inch over the next couple days and we sure did surpass that. I wonder how much rain we will get over the next couple days, the ground definetly can't absorb anymore.

Really wish everyone could have gotten in on some of this!

I blew it Eric. I was going to multiquote it, because I knew in this thread I was thinking I'd get the short end of the stick. Thanks for calling me on it. I take my lumps with this bad forecast. But honestly just look how small the max area was, but I think the bulk of the Upstate to here did ok for once. We never get trained on like this anymore, hopefully it happens again soon.

I'm just teasing you. I know you have been you have been on the short end of the stick in regard to rainfall over the years so it's good to see you finally cashing in on it.

I am totally surprised. It seems like its been forever since an event like this has happened. That extremely heavy rain just sat over us for hours. Our part of the county looks every bit like it received 5-6 inches. I was expecting to get at best half an inch over the next couple days and we sure did surpass that. I wonder how much rain we will get over the next couple days, the ground definetly can't absorb anymore.

Really wish everyone could have gotten in on some of this!

me too. It looks like near Athens was also hit with repeating rain. It seems to always work this way for us last few Summers. We watch the 77 /Meck corridor storms congeal into long lasting masses, while we just barely miss out in June/July timeframe. About every other year, the Aug/Sept time frame is when we can expect a deluge (and even then a lot of times its immediately north). I'm still amazed at this amount of rain in one day , just from southerly flow and not much else.

I'm just teasing you. I know you have been you have been on the short end of the stick in regard to rainfall over the years so it's good to see you finally cashing in on it.

I know you were. I was going to eventually bring up my old post about being shorted, but was too ashamed actually. As usual, it takes a due south or sw flow to really make it rain here good. I do feel I've lucked out this Summer compared to a few miles west of me for once as a number of small storms got me. I'd sacrifice 5 Winters of snow chances just to get back to regular sw flow in Summer. I know I won't get lucky again next Summer with nw flow.

Amazing location difference, Shaggy. We've only had 5.59" in that same timeframe, half of that with Irene. We're well below (7" approx) what RDU has had, and I'm sure their total has jumped considerably tonight.

Yeah i've had several really good training events and I had round 11 inches in Irene. So you guys can keep the rain and i'll take drizzle at the most. Seems we always get into a soggy pattern right before hunting season which sort of messes us up with farm roads and huge mosquitos.

Howdy folks, long time lurker first time poster. Awesome board y,all have here!

Just wanted to add to the observations. I got 5.5 in. just north of Shelby NC (hwy 18 N.). WAS NOT expecting those kind of numbers! People at work thought I was crazy when I told them!

WOW is all I can say!!! :lmao:

Howdy folks, long time lurker first time poster. Awesome board y,all have here!

Just wanted to add to the observations. I got 5.5 in. just north of Shelby NC (hwy 18 N.). WAS NOT expecting those kind of numbers! People at work thought I was crazy when I told them!

WOW is all I can say!!! :lmao:

Welcome, and congrats on the major league rain! You are Robert are wringing it out!!

I'm getting occasional heavy rain now, with thunder and lightening. Hope to add to my totals by morning. T

Getting dumped on ATM...woke me up. Nice! Tiny cell but totally pouring.:thumbsup: My VP2 says .21" so far but now it has almost quit tipping....funnel hole is clogged with crap again...literally. At least the rain water will still be in it to get the measurement of this downpour when I clean out the hole.

Getting dumped on ATM...woke me up. Nice! Tiny cell but totally pouring.:thumbsup: My VP2 says .21" so far but now it has almost quit tipping....funnel hole is clogged with crap again...literally. At least the rain water will still be in it to get the measurement of this downpour when I clean out the hole.

Same here - woke up to a monster storm about 130 that lasted quite a while. Just did a triple take at the rain gauge thisnmorning. A whopping 4.15" of rain woo hoo :thumbsup:

Edited to add: just heard thunder and checked radar....more rain moving in :lol: this is awesome and the most rain here in many months

Same here - woke up to a monster storm about 130 that lasted quite a while. Just did a triple take at the rain gauge thisnmorning. A whopping 4.15" of rain woo hoo :thumbsup:

Edited to add: just heard thunder and checked radar....more rain moving in :lol: this is awesome and the most rain here in many months

Wow...4.15". You drank some "Robert" kool-aid. I only got .37" from the overnight stuff but some heavy duty stuff is knocking on my door.:weight_lift:

Count it..

1.24" over two days. 1" of this came during the morning yesterday!!

Nice complex just to my SE this morning. But it only offering drizzle at my location in downtown Forest City!

Any thoughts on how fast the showers will peel out of the high country (boone area) on Saturday? My thinking is after midnight on Saturday...

Wow...4.15". You drank some "Robert" kool-aid. I only got .37" from the overnight stuff but some heavy duty stuff is knocking on my door.:weight_lift:

I must have lol. I was floored when I saw the amount. It took a min to realize just how much had fallen. I was looking for the level around the one inch mark lol

Sorry u missed out, when I saw your post from 230 this morning I figured you'd have done really well too :(

It's just pouring here again right now

Count it..

1.24" over two days. 1" of this came during the morning yesterday!!

Nice complex just to my SE this morning. But it only offering drizzle at my location in downtown Forest City!

Any thoughts on how fast the showers will peel out of the high country (boone area) on Saturday? My thinking is after midnight on Saturday...

Right now my hunch would be that the showers should exit by late afternoon. 850mb moisture is decreasing and the models have the 500mb low in the IN area drifting to the west away from the area.

I must have lol. I was floored when I saw the amount. It took a min to realize just how much had fallen. I was looking for the level around the one inch mark lol

Sorry u missed out, when I saw your post from 230 this morning I figured you'd have done really well too :(

It's just pouring here again right now

Pouring here too. Up to .58" today and VP2 shows current rain rate of 4.17" per hour.

Archived