• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
September Obs.

LithiaWx

Well, to be fair I'd like to see some historical data....since 30 years isn't much of a window into weather :) The 50's, 60's and 70's.... some of my favorite years, were a lot different from the last 30...at least to my feeble memories, lol. 60's colder and drier, 70's warmer and wetter...maybe? Although the 90's had a blizzard and that has to count for double, maybe triple just in style points :) But 60 years would probably show a more accurate average....and 120 even better.

I guess it will take Super Larry, and his Climo of Power to set the total record in place...but I suspect it will still be Oct. that is the driest. T

You also have 1996-2011 so another 15 years to a total of almost 45 years. The last 15 years has had a higher September average than the first 30 they measured.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got 1.20" last night in my new Davis Vantage Vue rain cup. Glad it got to get some exercise last night!

My old AcuRite el-cheapo rain gauge, which I was concerned about undercatching during Lee since it registered 3.6" and a nearby station had 5.6", only measured .82".

Gonna leave it in place for several months for comparison or until the batteries die, whichever comes first.

My next step is to get a CoCoRaHS gauge for comparisons.

Wow another deluge :). Lost power last night (which is why I am so up this early. Thought I overslept lol). Another 2.35" for a storm total of 6.82 wowowowow

Glad to see others are finally cashing in too. Its raining hard again here this morning, and my monthly total is now 7.95" which is great news. With the models so slow with the closed low to our west, it even drops southwest somewhat, I think over the weekend and Mon/Tuesday it will tap the Gulf once again, and more training will occur somewhere. I may have a shot at 10" this month, which would be extremely rare.

Wow another deluge :). Lost power last night (which is why I am so up this early. Thought I overslept lol). Another 2.35" for a storm total of 6.82 wowowowow

Amazing. I got .52" since midnight for an event total of....drum roll....1.59".

Well over 1" last night and still raining! Glad some others got soaked!

Excellent!

Well I got it good last night about 1AM. It was pouring for a good while. WE probably picked up about an inch in a short amount of time, Finally!!

We gotta get you a gauge.

Glad to see others are finally cashing in too. Its raining hard again here this morning, and my monthly total is now 7.95" which is great news. With the models so slow with the closed low to our west, it even drops southwest somewhat, I think over the weekend and Mon/Tuesday it will tap the Gulf once again, and more training will occur somewhere. I may have a shot at 10" this month, which would be extremely rare.

So much for being in the dry zone. I'm sitting at 3.88" for the month and 40.32" for the year which isn't too bad.

thats surprising! the storms just seem to be sitting and dumping in some areas. had a storm a few miles to my west all evening with thunder and lightning and just light rain. i guess it either slowly moved or another one developed imby over night.

i am amazed with the amount, esp since this wasnt a tropical system. almost 7" in two days (over 7" for the month)

So much for being in the dry zone. I'm sitting at 3.88" for the month and 40.32" for the year which isn't too bad.

I haven't calculated yearly, but this bout of rain has been from being in southerly or sw flow...which as you know, we just don't get into very long anymore. I'd be perfectly happy to keep the longwave trough just west of the Apps for the rest of the year. We spend way too much time in nw flow, which usually does me no favors. The rain has moved out, and you can see on vapor the swirling vort that pulled up the rain through here now into central NC. I think we'll have a couple more decent rounds as the closed low digs toward northern Missouri over the weekend or early next week. I was just out in the back yard and can hear the dry creekbed running full...it takes a lot of rain to generate that sound ...puddles and small lakes are everywhere this morning.:thumbsup:

We gotta get you a gauge.

Yep, but I need to scout a good location at home. I just don't have enough open space to get a non-contaminated reading. I might be wrong and the only way to find out if it's accurate is to try, I may order my CoCoHRAS gauge today. I may just resign myself to setting one up at work if I need to. It's only 3-4 miles from my home anyways.

I haven't calculated yearly, but this bout of rain has been from being in southerly or sw flow...which as you know, we just don't get into very long anymore. I'd be perfectly happy to keep the longwave trough just west of the Apps for the rest of the year. We spend way too much time in nw flow, which usually does me no favors. The rain has moved out, and you can see on vapor the swirling vort that pulled up the rain through here now into central NC. I think we'll have a couple more decent rounds as the closed low digs toward northern Missouri over the weekend or early next week. I was just out in the back yard and can hear the dry creekbed running full...it takes a lot of rain to generate that sound ...puddles and small lakes are everywhere this morning.:thumbsup:

You're right... we just don't get these setups that often anymore. This seems like the wettest week we've have since the '97 El Nino.

Yep, but I need to scout a good location at home. I just don't have enough open space to get a non-contaminated reading. I might be wrong and the only way to find out if it's accurate is to try, I may order my CoCoHRAS gauge today. I may just resign myself to setting one up at work if I need to. It's only 3-4 miles from my home anyways.

Just put one up anyway. Unless you literally have no open sky above you, you should be fine. You'd be surprised at how good of a measurement you can get with just small openings.:thumbsup:

My rain gage got knocked over so I cant say for sure, but I'd say we have between 5 and 6 inches here for the week. Very much appreciated. Hopefully it wont be another month before we get more rain. And best of all, no 60mph winds with it this time as had been the case with the summer storms this year.

Just put one up anyway. Unless you literally have no open sky above you, you should be fine. You'd be surprised at how good of a measurement you can get with just small openings.:thumbsup:

CoCoRaHS is the only way to go? Looks like with shipping it would cost $34.00, is that a good price? http://www.weatheryourway.com/cocorahs/store.html Do you recommend any other gauges that are as accurate as the CoCoRaHS approved ones? I want to measure to the 100th of an inch but I'd also like to not spend so much money if possible.

CoCoRaHS is the only way to go? Looks like with shipping it would cost $34.00, is that a good price? http://www.weatheryo...rahs/store.html Do you recommend any other gauges that are as accurate as the CoCoRaHS approved ones? I want to measure to the 100th of an inch but I'd also like to not spend so much money if possible.

I would go the CoCoRaHS route. By far the best you can buy for that price range IMHO. I believe they can capture up to 11" of rain before the thing will overflow and it measures accurately to .01". I'm not sure of the best place to buy it though but that sounds like about the range.

Archived