Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
September Obs.

LithiaWx

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now my hunch would be that the showers should exit by late afternoon. 850mb moisture is decreasing and the models have the 500mb low in the IN area drifting to the west away from the area.

Pouring here too. Up to .58" today and VP2 shows current rain rate of 4.17" per hour.

sweet! i have to admit i was stunned this morning when i saw how much had fallen. it was up to 4.35 by the time i left for work. the streams and drainage ditches are full and a ton of run off this morning :)

Yep, we're still in the dreaded NO RAIN HOLE. This is getting old. I don't know how many times this year everyone around us gets rain and we get little to nothing. I suppose it's the luck of the draw but I'm beginning to wonder!

FFC believes it will build back in here later so we'll see.

FOR TODAY...AS SHORTWAVE MOVES NE...EXPECT PRECIP SHIELD TO CONTINUE BUILDING BACK WESTWARD OVER THE FORECAST AREA WITH MORE LIGHT TO MODERATE RAIN WITH EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPING.THERE IS INDICATED IN THE MODELS AN AREA OF ENHANCED LIFT TO DEVELOP LATE TODAY OVER NORTH GA. WOULD EXPECT THIS AREA WILL NEED TO BE MONITORED FOR FLOODING POTENTIAL AS SETUP WILL REMAIN CONDUCIVE FOR SOME TRAINING ECHOS. THIS AREA SHOULD BE SHORT LIVED HOWEVER AS MODELS INDICATE OMEGA MAXIMA LIFTING OUT OF THE AREA BY06Z FRIDAY.

sweet! i have to admit i was stunned this morning when i saw how much had fallen. it was up to 4.35 by the time i left for work. the streams and drainage ditches are full and a ton of run off this morning :)

I got another .7 over night, and I was feeling pretty good about it until I read your posts. Now I feel incomplete....thanks, buddy, lol! T

This is the last day of Summer. The Fall Equinox is less than 24 hours away!!

:thumbsup::hug::wub:

It sure felt like the last day of summer this morning! Lows in the low 70s with DPs in the upper 60s... NOT FUN! It sure looks like the convection in the GoM is taking all my moisture away :axe: Hopefully a little sunshine will help fire up some more storms so I can get my neighbors up in the ATL some more rain!!! Here's looking to a fantastic (and cooler) weekend ahead!

Early color already showing up on and from Grandfather Mountain in Avery County.

These pictures were taken this morning by Grandfather Mountain Staff and are courtesy of the Grandfather Mountain Stewardship Foundation.

I will post the forthcoming daily pictures in a separate folder.

gfm22sep11.jpg

gfm22sep11a.jpg

gfm22sep11b.jpg

gfm22sep11c.jpg

Commentary from Grandfather Mountain Staff:

Cool nights and shorter days are signaling the trees to close a valve between the tree and the leaves. This will signal the tree to stop producing the green pigment chlorophyll. As the green begins to fade – the natural color of the leaf begins to show through. Each tree and bush has a different natural color — so as those colors come to the surface the forest gets brighter and brighter. But if the sun continues to hit the leaves they will continue to make sugar, and these sugars will encourage the development of the red pigments. That is why for the brightest colors you want to look for south facing hillsides that get the longest exposure to sunlight.

Trees at the highest elevations turn first, so early in the month you’ll be looking up at the peaks. Consider a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway between Linville and Blowing Rock for a great view of the peaks of Grandfather. This east-facing slope (densly populated with maple trees) gets a lot of sun too, so the maples get extraordinarily brilliant!

Trees with “wet feet” (boggy situations) also turn early, so one of the first places to look is the cranberry bog at the intersection of NC 105 and NC 184 near Sugar Mountain.

Early color already showing up on and from Grandfather Mountain in Avery County.

These pictures were taken this morning by Grandfather Mountain Staff and are courtesy of the Grandfather Mountain Stewardship Foundation.

I will post the forthcoming daily pictures in a separate folder.

wow - great pics! love to see the leaves starting to turn....now when is our first monster cold front gonna move through lol

Got alot of rain at UNCC this morning. What i really don't get is why Duke Energy continues to release water from Lake Norman when the area in in a inflow stage 1 and stage 1 drought conditions. The lake it so low, it is causing stress on some docks, as they are sitting on sleep sloped ground now.

The red line is where the lake SHOULD be now.

Got alot of rain at UNCC this morning. What i really don't get is why Duke Energy continues to release water from Lake Norman when the area in in a inflow stage 1 and stage 1 drought conditions. The lake it so low, it is causing stress on some docks, as they are sitting on sleep sloped ground now.

I believe they typically try to keep lake levels down in the fall in anticipation of increased precip / lake levels in the winter/spring.

Yep, we're still in the dreaded NO RAIN HOLE. This is getting old. I don't know how many times this year everyone around us gets rain and we get little to nothing. I suppose it's the luck of the draw but I'm beginning to wonder!

FFC believes it will build back in here later so we'll see.

FOR TODAY...AS SHORTWAVE MOVES NE...EXPECT PRECIP SHIELD TO CONTINUE BUILDING BACK WESTWARD OVER THE FORECAST AREA WITH MORE LIGHT TO MODERATE RAIN WITH EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPING.THERE IS INDICATED IN THE MODELS AN AREA OF ENHANCED LIFT TO DEVELOP LATE TODAY OVER NORTH GA. WOULD EXPECT THIS AREA WILL NEED TO BE MONITORED FOR FLOODING POTENTIAL AS SETUP WILL REMAIN CONDUCIVE FOR SOME TRAINING ECHOS. THIS AREA SHOULD BE SHORT LIVED HOWEVER AS MODELS INDICATE OMEGA MAXIMA LIFTING OUT OF THE AREA BY06Z FRIDAY.

There are some storms firing up in NW. GA now so maybe they'll turn out to be right about this.

0.0 last night..... brings my storm total to .08. What a big load of fail in these parts, congrats to those of you that are cashing in.

Me too on the total rain fail. .06" this AM, "storm" total .14" The HRRR and RUC are pretty gung-ho about this afternoon and the current SB CAPE is AOA 2000 so today/this evening may be the last shot for this utter screw zone.

Me too on the total rain fail. .06" this AM, "storm" total .14" The HRRR and RUC are pretty gung-ho about this afternoon and the current SB CAPE is AOA 2000 so today/this evening may be the last shot for this utter screw zone.

Looks halfway decent for some action soon. I won't hold my breath but I'm fairly optimist looking at the radar.

The similated radar on the HIRES NMM and ARW on the NCEP site (EUS - Eastern US Region) seem to have a pretty good handle on the rain in and around Atlanta for this aftn. I tend to prefer these 2 when it comes to getting a general idea of where showers and storms are going to fire - not a big fan of them with winter storms though (cold sector precip).

Good luck! How are you going to mount yours?

In a perfect world with no budget, of course I'd have a Pro2 where I could separate components. But alas, the Vue it is. I know you have a Vue as well and have read your posts on WXforum and I know you feel the same way I do about wishing to have the Pro2. :D

I set a 6" x 6" post in my back yard a few days ago, buried 42" to get below even the worst winter frost line to ensure it stays plumb. That leaves me 54" above ground. I ordered the Davis mounting pole kit (which arrived at dusk last night, wish FedEx delivered earlier!) so I'll mount the pole to the post and mount the Vue on top.

The ISS should be about 6' AGL once installed so I'm sure I'll have some issues with accuracy both with rain and wind, but my location is fairly sheltered from wind so I figured I'd err towards the side of rainfall accuracy.

I'm also uploading to CWOP, WU, PWS and WeatherBug. Looking forward to setting up a web interface so I can access remotely on my own site rather than WU or WeatherBug.

My CWOP ID is DW8554.

Archived