Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Hurricane Irene - Discussion V

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just hoping this holds together long enough to give the higher elevations some fun up here... H95-85 wind speeds are still pretty darn strong when it gets up here. Also the 4-7" of rainfall should be interesting, the stream/small river that flows past my property drains the entire east side of Mansfield and Smugglers Notch... I've seen it a muddy raging torrent only once or twice (where if you fall in you definitely die no questions asked) so the roar should be special on Sunday night.

A few of us are hoping to ride it out tomorrow evening and night, 5 miles up the road at the Visitors Center at 2,200ft in Smugglers Notch. Hoping for some locally enhanced wind speeds in there once it passes as NW winds are forced between 2,000ft vertical foot high walls. Another good spot would be Taft Lodge at 3,600ft but doubt we'll make it up there in the torrential rain.

I just realized that sorry... I like reading some of the posts up here cause good info.. but claims/posts that Irene is moving NE are clearly wrong. I have the Sat loop for the past two hours and its due north... maybe slightly NNE.

Thank you Dendrite and ORH for the lesson :lol:

Thanks for the reverse jinx in giving us the 090 wobble over the last 20-30 mins. :P

If you are tropical enthusiasts feeling a bit disappointed by Irene, sit tight...

Many of the operational guidance have been pegging another CV system developing off a wave east of Sierra Leone over Africa. This wave has a tight cyclonic gyre associated with it already. The Roundy Probs are still lighting up the Basin, and drilling positive anomalies up off the Eastern Seaboard right through to the end of September. In fact, the 00z ECM (no determinism) showed a precarious TC nearing the Bahamas D10 with a similar weakness/shear axis that drew Irene up along the EC in place. Frankly, this low amplitude PNAP pattern I believe is one we are stuck with as a 6 month mean, interrupted occasionally by attempts at pattern reverse. Post Irene there should be one such ridge and relative calm pattern, at or above normal in temperatures until said background re-asserts and the ridge retrogrades west.

This could very well be the first in a series of long trackers - point being that there should be in the least others to watch.

Just a thought... Any chance that Irene strengthens a tad if it stays over water after NC? Did Gloria strengthen a bit?

No it weakened with a near total collapse of the western semicircle. Keep in mind water temps cool one north of approx latitude of Hatteras and with a slow moving tropical system encountering cooler waters and also increasing westerly shear it will probably weaken or at best hold its own. Fast moving tropicals tend to weaken at a slower rate

No it weakened with a near total collapse of the western semicircle. Keep in mind water temps cool one north of approx latitude of Hatteras and with a slow moving tropical system encountering cooler waters and also increasing westerly shear it will probably weaken or at best hold its own. Fast moving tropicals tend to weaken at a slower rate

Couple of things contrary to your post, shear is with the flow this time, Jet dynamics impressive, will weaken pressure wise, size results much slower wind down than usual.

If you are tropical enthusiasts feeling a bit disappointed by Irene, sit tight...

Many of the operational guidance have been pegging another CV system developing off a wave east of Sierra Leone over Africa. This wave has a tight cyclonic gyre associated with it already. The Roundy Probs are still lighting up the Basin, and drilling positive anomalies up off the Eastern Seaboard right through to the end of September. In fact, the 00z ECM (no determinism) showed a precarious TC nearing the Bahamas D10 with a similar weakness/shear axis that drew Irene up along the EC in place. Frankly, this low amplitude PNAP pattern I believe is one we are stuck with as a 6 month mean, interrupted occasionally by attempts at pattern reverse. Post Irene there should be one such ridge and relative calm pattern, at or above normal in temperatures until said background re-asserts and the ridge retrogrades west.

This could very well be the first in a series of long trackers - point being that there should be in the least others to watch.

Lol... This is like "EURO looks good for next week's snowstorm" before tonight's snowstorm has even begun

Appreciate the analysis/outlook... in a season of a multiple blizzards, an F3, earthquake, northeast hurricane... 2 northeast hurricanes seems par.

From Matt Noyes

WOW. Irene officially 85mph but Cedar Island Ferry Terminal, NC, just recorded sustained 90mph!

Yes 90 mph steady and 110 mph gusts

The eye looks much better now and the storm is actually stronger now than at landfall.

Storm down to 947 mb

According to Knabb the storm will still be a hurricane up into SNE because it is so large, with a significant part of its circulation still over water, plus the frictional effects with the land causing the core to tighten up. Even if the center of the eye tracks just inland, it wont lose much intensity.

This further west track will make it very interesting for me. I am in Central NH at 1100 feet facing south. Yesterday my concern was flooding in the area but now the south facing hills could take a beating up at elevation. Live on a dead end dirt road so if power goes it will be out for awhile. Got the generator filled with gas and lots of water for toilets etc so all set. Worst problem maybe no internet, i.e. no AmWx. Diasaster! I have the trusty DroidX with the large screen so should be okay for backup.

Hype-O-Cane Irene's center holding up nicely right now, looking forward to a good ole Tropical Storm!

Gene

This further west track will make it very interesting for me. I am in Central NH at 1100 feet facing south. Yesterday my concern was flooding in the area but now the south facing hills could take a beating up at elevation. Live on a dead end dirt road so if power goes it will be out for awhile. Got the generator filled with gas and lots of water for toilets etc so all set. Worst problem maybe no internet, i.e. no AmWx. Diasaster! I have the trusty DroidX with the large screen so should be okay for backup.

Hype-O-Cane Irene's center holding up nicely right now, looking forward to a good ole Tropical Storm!

Gene

Yeah, a once in a lifetime storm for me too, to be in the right front quadrant of a Cat 1 lol. I hope you have wireless up there :P

Couple of things contrary to your post, shear is with the flow this time, Jet dynamics impressive, will weaken pressure wise, size results much slower wind down than usual.

Yes jet dynamics are impressive but shear is shear and dry continental air always win out in decreasing a storm. Speed is too slow as well. If it intensifies it will be due to the dynamics and baroclinic features. Size really is insignificant it is all about how fast its moving

Archived