Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Hurricane Irene - Discussion V

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little confused as to where the strongest winds will be. On the one hand I would think that they would be just west of the track over by New Haven or Bridgeport. But then it looks like there's this strong LLJ to the east by the cape. I almost feel like SE CT could be caught in a hole but maybe I am imagining that.

I think the Cape has the highest gust potential for SNE (E LI should out do everyone though I think). But there could be some pretty impressive winds out of the SE along the CT coast tomorrow morning. SE CT should do fine for winds as they are more exposed out of the SE than further west, so that makes up for some of the difference. But you have to remember this is not a compact wind field...its enormous and sprawls well east and will be expanding even more by tomorrow.

does anyone else think irene looks much better organized over nc right now than it did when it was offshore? look at the satellite imagery.

it was at least briefly appearing to improve to me on the radar too.. and continues to fill in on the south side.

The massive windfield in this is one of the reasons I'm going to the Cape for this one. Normally they might be well east of the best winds in a smaller storm, but looking at the data, its hard to ignore what may happen there tomorrow afternoon into the evening. I think we should see some hurricane force gusts down there. I doubt anyone sees sustained hurricane force winds, but I could see a lot of gusts >70 knots if that 70-75 knots just off the deck can get mixed down from time to time.

this off the 06z GFS. HYA. ripping.

post-218-0-30202200-1314458489.jpg

I'm a little confused as to where the strongest winds will be. On the one hand I would think that they would be just west of the track over by New Haven or Bridgeport. But then it looks like there's this strong LLJ to the east by the cape. I almost feel like SE CT could be caught in a hole but maybe I am imagining that.

Sometimes the CApe can be too far` east for best winds when you get a cane to lf over western CT like in 1938. I'd guess most of CT and RI for highest gusts..but the Cape should ripp pretty good too..I don't think you want to be too far` east in this one

Sometimes the CApe can be too far` east for best winds when you get a cane to lf over western CT like in 1938. I'd guess most of CT and RI for highest gusts..but the Cape should ripp pretty good too..I don't think you want to be too far` east in this one

If I were to pick somewhere to be I'd pick BDR, MTP, or anywhere on Nantucket Sound

Can't believe you are staying in Tolland over FMH in this setup. FMH is in a great spot south facing.

Well if that westward track would verify would that mean more of SNE would be in the potential for isolated tornadoes?

From SPC Day 2 re: Irene

...HURRICANE IRENE...

HURRICANE IRENE IS EXPECTED TO LIFT NNEWD ALONG THE MIDDLE ATLANTIC
  COAST AND LIKELY COME ASHORE OVER WRN LONG ISLAND EARLY SUNDAY
  BEFORE EJECTING ACROSS NEW ENGLAND.  GIVEN ITS EXPECTED TRACK...MUCH
  OF SRN NEW ENGLAND...TO THE RIGHT OF THE CIRCULATION CENTER...WILL
  EXPERIENCE STRONG LOW LEVEL SHEAR AND AN INCREASE IN THETA-E AND
  BUOYANCY.  FORECAST THERMODYNAMIC ENVIRONMENT IS NOT EXPECTED TO BE
  THAT UNSTABLE...BUT LIKELY ENOUGH TO WARRANT LOW TOPPED SUPERCELLS. 
  FOR THIS REASON HAVE OPTED TO INCLUDE LOW PROBABILITIES FOR ISOLATED
  TORNADOES WHERE STRONGEST SURGE OF BOUNDARY LAYER
  MOISTURE/INSTABILITY WILL EXIST FOR ROBUST UPDRAFTS.

Can't believe you are staying in Tolland over FMH in this setup. FMH is in a great spot south facing.

I would def rather be in FMH than Tolland.

Only other place I'd consider would be E LI or somewhere on the CT shore that's exposed and near where the core will track.

Archived