Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Hurricane Irene - Discussion V

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not negativity. You have a weak hurricane (were there any official reporting stations that measured hurricane conditions)...that is now over land and looks to be moving over the landmass in ENC. Best case it scrapes the shore with some chance it goes inland. Either way it's not delivering hurricane conditions or struggling to do that now. Unless it's the first cane north of there to strengthen while over land or north of Carolina it won't be a cane here. They may call it that, but again, let's see the obs. Will is right, it could get pretty nasty Sunday but it's not producing wide spread hurricane conditions right now nevermind in 24 hours.

The massive windfield in this is one of the reasons I'm going to the Cape for this one. Normally they might be well east of the best winds in a smaller storm, but looking at the data, its hard to ignore what may happen there tomorrow afternoon into the evening. I think we should see some hurricane force gusts down there. I doubt anyone sees sustained hurricane force winds, but I could see a lot of gusts >70 knots if that 70-75 knots just off the deck can get mixed down from time to time.

So if I go up a prominent (IE cliffs on 2 sides) 400' hill in SE CT that's 8 miles inland, that will probably have better winds than the beach?

If its very exposed, then yeah, it will gust higher than the shoreline. It depends on what type of shore line and how exposed the hill is as to which one might gust higher.

The massive windfield in this is one of the reasons I'm going to the Cape for this one. Normally they might be well east of the best winds in a smaller storm, but looking at the data, its hard to ignore what may happen there tomorrow afternoon into the evening. I think we should see some hurricane force gusts down there. I doubt anyone sees sustained hurricane force winds, but I could see a lot of gusts >70 knots if that 70-75 knots just off the deck can get mixed down from time to time.

Good luck! I just got back from Montauk Point yesterday. The station was willing to put me up for a few extra days but being concerned about freshwater flooding up here I opted to comeback. My wife was disappointed she was getting psyched for a hurricane.

Speaking of wind I could see Bennington and North Adams doing well on sustained winds and gusts; gusts to 60-65 mph could happen.

Well Will mentioned the low lvl jet and the winds just off the deck. OSU had been mentioning the RRQ of the upper lvl jet all week and I wonder if that is helping to broaden the wind field and keep the pressures so low synoptically.

Anyways...here's the 33hr H95 winds on the 12z NAM. Not bad even along the NH/ME coasts. For E/SE MA 30hr was a little more impressive than this.

post-3-0-04819800-1314457203.gif

I'm a little confused as to where the strongest winds will be. On the one hand I would think that they would be just west of the track over by New Haven or Bridgeport. But then it looks like there's this strong LLJ to the east by the cape. I almost feel like SE CT could be caught in a hole but maybe I am imagining that.

Daytime will also help with the gusts tomorrow as well.

Hopefully it doesn't disappoint which is a slight concern for me, but we'll just have to see how it goes. Seeing that LLJ is pretty impressive and possibly an indication of ex transition.

Yeah I think the LLJ really gets cranking more as the storm gets absorbed into the upper level support to the north (jet streak)...either way, its very impressive out over the Cape tomorrow PM. I was surprised to see how agressive the NAM was with it despite its further W track which sort of leads me to believe this feature is at least somewhat independent of how strong the tropical inner core remains.

Having 70-75 knots at 950mb and 85 at 900mb will certainly give some big gust potential.

I think an 8-10" storm is a bigger deal for NH over 50kt gusts. If this thing takes a NAM track I don't think we'll get much for wind up here away from coastal Rockingham county and the higher els.

Do you really think we'll see 8-10" with that track? I'm almost thinking we miss out on the big wind and the big rain now.

I'm a little confused as to where the strongest winds will be. On the one hand I would think that they would be just west of the track over by New Haven or Bridgeport. But then it looks like there's this strong LLJ to the east by the cape. I almost feel like SE CT could be caught in a hole but maybe I am imagining that.

I would go to the coast about 50 miles east of landfall.

Yeah I think the LLJ really gets cranking more as the storm gets absorbed into the upper level support to the north (jet streak)...either way, its very impressive out over the Cape tomorrow PM. I was surprised to see how agressive the NAM was with it despite its further W track which sort of leads me to believe this feature is at least somewhat independent of how strong the tropical inner core remains.

Having 70-75 knots at 950mb and 85 at 900mb will certainly give some big gust potential.

Yeah even Gloria gusted to 100mph all the way in CHH...likely a function of a similar LLJ. Good luck there...I think you are in a ok spot.

Probaby just the weenie in me (no need for modification), but I am holding out hope that that is what happens.

Believe me, as Will stated, the Cape will get more wind than anyone and if you go to east coastal MA you'll do just fine. All the profs have winds strongest over SE MA.

Daytime will also help with the gusts tomorrow as well.

Hopefully it doesn't disappoint which is a slight concern for me, but we'll just have to see how it goes. Seeing that LLJ is pretty impressive and possibly an indication of ex transition.

Perhaps even some dry slotting too would be nice steepen the LL lapse rates some; in addition the isallobaric couplet will be a player, too

Archived