Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Hurricane Irene - Discussion V

Baroclinic Zone

That's the simplest explanation :)

DT put an interesting graphic up on his page, no hurricane force winds even in gusts right now over NC. A couple of places about 70.

The forecast I've been giving out since yesterday morning (when I was finally forced to put something on paper) for inland CT is 45-55G70 and 50-60G80 at the coast at the height of the storm. I'm sticking to that unless this thing really weakens on its way up the coast.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The forecast I've been giving out since yesterday morning (when I was finally forced to put something on paper) for inland CT is 45-55G70 and 50-60G80 at the coast at the height of the storm. I'm sticking to that unless this thing really weakens on its way up the coast.

Agreed.

Not enjoying this 73/71 at all...

Just finished getting my outside ready... put stuff in the shed, basement, garage

Something hatched yesterday. 1000's of flying ants in the pool

Could be termites. Or just the ants like you said. They look similar. Keep an eye on it unless the storm does lots of damage around your area or you could be spending extra money fixing damaged wood in your house. Obviously get through Irene first and then keep them in the back of your mind.

Was just speaking to older neighbors that have been here for 40 yrs plus, They said the worst flooding they ever saw was with the 92 noreaster. water came up to my first step which is about 4 ft above sea level. Basements had about 5 feet of water. I dont know what the storm surge was here in 92 although i have seen pics of Fairfield beach under water. My guess is that with fresh water flooding/storm surge./ and high astronomical tides that water would breach my first floor according to storm surge forecasts but i cant be sure.

We have made a decision to stay, mainly because we wont be able to get back to the house for at least two to three days at the earlies due to tree damage across this area which will be catastrophic. Local officials have told us to be prepared without power and water for up to one week.

I just took a drive around town, gas stations are packed, Reef Rd was backed up from evacuees and business owners are boarding up, police are parked along rte 1 to enforce evacuation and the shutting of many roads at 4 pm.

I wonder if we are making the right decision, looks like latest tracks bring this hurricane overhead or a couple miles west, satelite and radar look really good right now over eastern nc, notthing but warm swamp and sound to traverse...........va capes just getting hammered.

Ryan any thoughts as to whether this storm surge/flooding will be worse than dec 92 here?

Archived