gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Hurricane Irene - Discussion V

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why some people are complaining...this is still going to present serious issues across the region. So what if the storm won't be the strong cat 1 that was first thought. The scale right now means very little. So what if we don't get those 90-100 mph gusts. Even if winds are only in the 50-70 mph range with gusts a tad higher...those winds will do serious damage here, especially when you take into account the saturated grounds on top of pretty a month and a half worth's of rain in locations. Plus the duration of the winds...looking at about 8 hours of prolonged damaging winds.

Storm surge is still going to be pretty damn extreme and the threat for flooding is very high.

This is going to have major impacts on a tremendous amount of people.

Just looking at the live coverage in eastern nc and hampton roads va this storm is very impressive considering it is slow moving over land. People have began to say the storm isn't going to be serious but if we get those same conds of storm force winds and torrential rain here in sne and nyc metro there are going to be some major disruptions to life and property in regards to power outages and tree damage and extreme flooding. If Irene stays offshore New Jersey and makes landfall on western Long Island those hurricane warnings are going to verify in many areas.

That part of NC is like a giant swamp barely above sea level with a ton of inlets, so I don't think that is going to have a huge effect. A bigger concern is getting it to jog E so it doesn't go over the length of NJ inland.
any timeline for best wind impacts tomorrow for se ma/cape? sorry if already discussed

Not sure why some people are complaining...this is still going to present serious issues across the region. So what if the storm won't be the strong cat 1 that was first thought. The scale right now means very little. So what if we don't get those 90-100 mph gusts. Even if winds are only in the 50-70 mph range with gusts a tad higher...those winds will do serious damage here, especially when you take into account the saturated grounds on top of pretty a month and a half worth's of rain in locations. Plus the duration of the winds...looking at about 8 hours of prolonged damaging winds.

Storm surge is still going to be pretty damn extreme and the threat for flooding is very high.

Don't worry...CT Blizz is sure it will be a cat 1

I'm not posting this time to whine, but I really can't see how Middle and eastern NE gets that much rain. If you look at Gloria's track and this track, the rainfall total in Gloria was pretty slim in most areas. I think VT and extreme W MA get a good rain.

Just looking at the live coverage in eastern nc and hampton roads va this storm is very impressive considering it is slow moving over land. People have began to say the storm isn't going to be serious but if we get those same conds of storm force winds and torrential rain here in sne and nyc metro there are going to be some major disruptions to life and property in regards to power outages and tree damage and extreme flooding. If Irene stays offshore New Jersey and makes landfall on western Long Island those hurricane warnings are going to verify in many areas.

I like this guy.

I'm not posting this time to whine, but I really can't see how Middle and eastern NE gets that much rain. If you look at Gloria's track and this track, the rainfall total in Gloria was pretty slim in most areas. I think VT and extreme W MA get a good rain.

No ****. That's typical with tropical systems up here.

Even 2-5'' of rain is still a decent amount, sure it may not be the 6-12'' they may see further west but 2-5'' of rain will still lead to some flooding problems.

How is the new NAM/GFS track compare to the older Euro tracks? It stunk for awhile but it seems like in the end the western edge may have been the way to go?

How much damage does this do the windfield if any?

Well the older Euro tracks up into the Catskills still look pretty crazy, but those tracks hugging the NJ coast look like they may have scored a coup. We still have 24 hours until it gets up that far, so time for it to change, but I'm def leaning along those lines now. Its been a pretty crazy storm to track thus far.

It certainly doesn't seem to be affecting potential winds on the Cape too much or even south coastal RI/LI/SE CT...perhaps it could lessen the winds right near the core (or remnant core) if it tracks too much over land.

Well the older Euro tracks up into the Catskills still look pretty crazy, but those tracks hugging the NJ coast look like they may have scored a coup. We still have 24 hours until it gets up that far, so time for it to change, but I'm def leaning along those lines now. Its been a pretty crazy storm to track thus far.

It certainly doesn't seem to be affecting potential winds on the Cape too much or even south coastal RI/LI/SE CT...perhaps it could lessen the winds right near the core (or remnant core) if it tracks too much over land.

Thanks,

I think our winds should make it over 50 regardless, but the possibility of significantly higher..80+ may be winding down. Surprised with the lack of significant wind over NC right now but again impressive 70mph gusts to the south and east of the center.

Archived