Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Hurricane Irene - Discussion V

Baroclinic Zone

Morning guys. Huge day ahead!

Some thoughts:

-- 1) Loss of the "right hook" and track farther west into Vermont

0Z NAM, GFS, EURO and now 12Z NAM all support a eastern/coastal NJ track into over NYC... but also interestingly, all delay the "right hook" we were talking about yesterday, taking the center into Western Mass never even crossing I91 and into Vermont.

Whether this is due to receding trough or increasing ridge to the east or both, it seems increasingly certain at this point.

-- 2) Deceleration over NC? Seems like it from radar, but NHC still reads movement NNE 14 mph.

What's for sure, NC, VA, Philly-NYC corridor is getting major flooding.

-- 3) Expanding map of power outages in NC:

https://www.progress.../carolinas.aspx

-- 4) TC-spawned SNE Tornadoes in Gloria / Bob:

Here's some record of TC-spawned tornadoes in Bob and Gloria from Wikipedia:

Re: Bob 91

"Additionally, six confirmed tornadoes were associated with hurricane Bob; four touched down in North Carolina and two on Long Island, New York. There were 16 unconfirmed tornadoes reported, including nine on Hatteras Island, North Carolina, two in Rhode Island, and two in Massachusetts."

Re: Gloria 85

1 tornado in NJ, 1 in MA

http://en.wikipedia....awned_tornadoes

Tornado just reported in Delaware bay > 100 miles northeast of center.

-- 5) Best summary of this storm so far made by Messenger last night, in case you missed it:

This one from the start was just weird. Pressure low, winds not as low as they should have been. Flight level winds not matching surface winds, inability to ever stay organized etc. Seems like the epic canes just come together and crank, then we have storms like this that just make you scratch your head.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evacuations underway here in Westerly - heading for the 6pm deadline.

Residents only allowed south of Rte.1 - even though mandatory evacuation is south of Rte. 1A - Shore Road.

Police are set up at virtually every road that leads from Rte. 1 to Rte. 1A.

No (legal anyway) access to anywhere near the breachways, ponds or beaches here in town from this point out.

090 is due east my friend.

I just realized that sorry... I like reading some of the posts up here cause good info.. but claims/posts that Irene is moving NE are clearly wrong. I have the Sat loop for the past two hours and its due north... maybe slightly NNE.

Thank you Dendrite and ORH for the lesson :lol:

I just realized that sorry... I like reading some of the posts up here cause good info.. but claims/posts that Irene is moving NE are clearly wrong. I have the Sat loop for the past two hours and its due north... maybe slightly NNE.

Yes, NNE, not NE. Easy you should go, my little green friend.

Archived