Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Hurricane Irene - Discussion V

Baroclinic Zone

Goodmorning.

Woke up and nothing has changed, so the few things I had not done are being rushed to completion. I am not looking at this as a tropical system, I am looking at this as the worst nor' easter of my life which scares the hell out of me regarding surge.

Still have not made a decision whether or not to leave, worried that we may not be able to get back for a few days do to downed trees and wires.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the lower 950s pressure value and the winds "not matching" the important thing to remember is that the pressure GRADIENT is what drives the wind. Pressure gradient is the change in pressure over horizontal distance. So it has everything to do with the surrounding pressure and that is why the value of the low pressure alone is like taking something out of its correct context. The reason NHC dropped pressure from the scale is for exactly this reason, a 950s storm is not necessarily a Cat 3 at all, especially in a very broad low pressure area. A tighter 950 low would mean more wind.

Regarding the lower 950s pressure value and the winds "not matching" the important thing to remember is that the pressure GRADIENT is what drives the wind. Pressure gradient is the change in pressure over horizontal distance. So it has everything to do with the surrounding pressure and that is why the value of the low pressure alone is like taking something out of its correct context. The reason NHC dropped pressure from the scale is for exactly this reason, a 950s storm is not necessarily a Cat 3 at all, especially in a very broad low pressure area. A tighter 950 low would mean more wind.

Yeah I agree..it's good they revamped the scale....I mean Katrina was was..like 920mb when she made landfall! But the low pressure and broad wind field is also a concern for surge too.

Also, I don't think this hooks violently east either when it gets to the NYC latitude. I hope it stays more over water so the intensity stays up a bit, but it may drag across the NJ shore. Even if it does, should still be some pretty strong winds across SNE with tree damage and power outages the most likely impact, but the surge will be a problem too

latest fix looks like is moving N/NNE.. maybe starting to turn a bit.. or could be a wobble..

She's been wobbling a lot...even for hours at a time. Last night for a time it looked like it would go more E toward HSE but then we saw it go left a little and turn back due north which allowed it to make landfall just E of Morehead city.

Tickets were as low as $4 for game 2 online with tickets as cheap as $10 for game 1 :arrowhead:

My brother was thinking of getting us tickets but I told him we probably shouldn't.

I got RF box seats on StubHub for tonight...20 bucks a pop...really good deal. I don't mind getting a little wet.

BOS: +1.8F

BDL: +0.6F

PVD +1.1F

ORH: +0.9F

Keep on dreaming, Pete.

And NC reporting 115mph winds with tornadoes. Storm is pretty unimpressive, I'd say.

First, nearly everyone is in agreement that Irene is not the storm most thought it would be (thankfully). I never downplayed the impact this storm will have, it will be a serious situation. Secondly, while your ability to regurgitate raw data is no doubt impressive, you omit the real story behind the numbers. Any positive departures are fueled largely by warmer than normal overnight lows (most likely caused by persistent cloud cover from numerous bouts of rain). Also, a positive departure of +.6 or +.9 is less than impressive.The month is not over and with no high heat in the forecast (in fact cooler than normal in the forecast here) those numbers will continue to slip as they have nearly all month. We shall see where they end up in the next few days. As for the wet part of my summer outlook I couldn't have been more correct. Best of luck in the storm which will be the exclamation point on the wet summer.

I think it could brush it or at least have the western side move into it.

Yeah, and I think that's kind of what we want for a track west of all of us...but this shouldn't barrel right into the NJ mainland.

No rain tho

3-6'' instead of 8-10''...BFD.

Archived