joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene - Discussion V

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

going to sox game this afternoon, what chances of seen the whole game?

I'm going to the noon game and feel very confident that they will play the whole game since even if it rains it'll be light rains. The afternoon game is a little bit questionable but i'd still say 50% that it is played but it's hard to say if the rains will get stronger. As I type this it looks like some of the rains are starting to build in around CT and into MA.

A question to the mets. So long as this storm goes back over water and not up the NJ turnpike the thought is that it'll roughly maintain the 75-85 mph cat 1 strength?

Not sure why GYX increased the wind for up here? Kind of expected it to go down quite a bit given the storms refusal to go east over the past several hours. :(

Sunday Night

Tropical storm conditions possible. Rain...mainly in the evening. Rain may be heavy at times in the evening. Lows in the mid 50s. South winds 50 to 60 mph with gusts up to 70 mph...becoming west and...diminishing to 25 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph after midnight. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

I'm going to the noon game and feel very confident that they will play the whole game since even if it rains it'll be light rains. The afternoon game is a little bit questionable but i'd still say 50% that it is played but it's hard to say if the rains will get stronger. As I type this it looks like some of the rains are starting to build in around CT and into MA.

A question to the mets. So long as this storm goes back over water and not up the NJ turnpike the thought is that it'll roughly maintain the 75-85 mph cat 1 strength?

Not so sure of that, the atmosphere is pretty juiced right now and strong moisture advection continues to occur and will do so throughout the afternoon/evening. When it does rain out it could be very heavy at times. It's pouring here pretty good right now.

Just had a quick downpour here! Irene may not be a huge hurricane wind wise but the impacts are still going to be serious.. Wiz goodluck with you 12 hr severe thunderstorm! arrowheadsmiley.png

I assume you mean not huge in terms of max winds cause the wind field seems quite large just large at like 30-50 kt or something rather than an intense core of 80-90kt?

From the tracking thread...

post-1511-0-96472500-1314452025.gif

Thank you, forward speed? 20 plus or less? You have done a fantastic job with your blog. Many people have wrote me and thanked me for pointing them to it. Thanks.

We cancelled our major events tonight, hmmm 500 lobsters in our freezers....... Letting all out at 4 so they can prepare their homes, we have hearts, heard lots of stories where places despite Malloys order to stay off the roads after midnight forcing workers to be there or get written up. Anyway my bet is Misquamicut gets big overwash with major damage to roads and some homes.

The lobsters will make it home safely?

Just had a quick downpour here! Irene may not be a huge hurricane wind wise but the impacts are still going to be serious.. Wiz goodluck with you 12 hr severe thunderstorm! arrowheadsmiley.png

:lol:

Totally agree too, just b/c it will be a cat 1 when it gets here with winds perhaps around 75-80 mph (maybe even strong tropical storm) doesn't mean the impacts won't be any less serious. Sure perhaps we might not get the 80-90 mph gusts that seem possible but as mentioned hundreds of times on here it's the duration of the winds that will make for major issues damage wise. This is something that you hope people understand.

:lol:

Totally agree too, just b/c it will be a cat 1 when it gets here with winds perhaps around 75-80 mph (maybe even strong tropical storm) doesn't mean the impacts won't be any less serious. Sure perhaps we might not get the 80-90 mph gusts that seem possible but as mentioned hundreds of times on here it's the duration of the winds that will make for major issues damage wise. This is something that you hope people understand.

And the massive rains on top of an already soaked landscape. Trees are not very stable in mud.

Rivers/streams are pretty high for August as well

And the massive rains on top of an already soaked landscape. Trees are not very stable in mud.

Rivers/streams are pretty high for August as well

Yeah that's going to be a serious issue too, some spots even today could get 1-3'' of rain before the major deluge occurs later tonight and tomorrow.

Not so sure of that, the atmosphere is pretty juiced right now and strong moisture advection continues to occur and will do so throughout the afternoon/evening. When it does rain out it could be very heavy at times. It's pouring here pretty good right now.

Good point wiz.. seeing these strong rain showers starting to pop up im getting a little bit more nervous about whether they'll be able to play.

It's pretty heavy swampass weather for early in the morning.

What's up with this guys ego?

BigJoeBastardi Joe Bastardi THE POWER SCALE I HAVE DEVELOPED IS BETTER AT DIAGNOSING THE TRUE NATURE OF THE STORM THAN SAFFIR-SIMPSON. Low pressure means something!!!

No Joke! He has a "new scale" he is pushing where he includes the pressure in the strength of the storm. Novel idea that! He actually said that last night to Fred Thomson on the Hannity Show.

Good point wiz.. seeing these strong rain showers starting to pop up im getting a little bit more nervous about whether they'll be able to play.

I'm going to the 5 PM game...def. bringing a raincoat.

This rides over Jersey and it will be a pretty significant dissapointment up here...what I fear as that it stays left until it gets over Jersey, THEN hooks strongly to the east.

I think we will still experience a really strong storm...even sustained trop storm winds with higher gusts will still be pretty impressive. Obviously, not what I have my hopes set on, but oh well...

Tickets were as low as $4 for game 2 online with tickets as cheap as $10 for game 1 :arrowhead:

My brother was thinking of getting us tickets but I told him we probably shouldn't.

Any reason why the center is becoming better organized over NC?

From what I've read the land friction causes the core of the storm to tighten up. Probably a function of conserving angular momentum as it spins... spin slows due to friction so it tightens up to cause the least loss of energy?

This rides over Jersey and it will be a pretty significant dissapointment up here...what I fear as that it stays left until it gets over Jersey, THEN hooks strongly to the east.

Not what Ryan, Phil, Will think, and if you look at the radar you can see it is heading over Pamilico sound. Also the trough is now influencing it. Off the Delmarva off NJ to ISLIP are is my call.

Archived