GUSTS. IRENE IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON

HURRICANE WIND SCALE. SLIGHT WEAKENING IS FORECAST AS IRENE CROSSES

EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA...BUT IRENE IS FORECAST TO REMAIN A

HURRICANE AS IT MOVES NEAR OR OVER THE MID-ATLANTIC STATES AND NEW

ENGLAND.

HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 90 MILES...150 KM...FROM

THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO

260 MILES...415 KM. A SUSTAINED WIND OF 59 MPH WITH A GUST TO 84

MPH WAS RECENTLY MEASURED AT CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA.

Interesting since the storm's down to 85mph and has only just begun to traverse the land of NC. It seems like with each advisory this thing takes a 5mph haircut. It's lost 30mph in the last 24 hours, and we still have 24 hours until landfall anywhere near here.

Two things to note:

1. On the wind side, this is going a bit more inland over ENC than I was thinking last night. Probably won't help any for SNE.

2. Hatteras is seeing a surge of about 8' right now. Upper reaches of Narragansett Bay look primed.

It wobbled west as some convection fired on the western side a bit more the last couple hours. Either way it will track over the west end of Pamlico Sound and the land that's on the western shore is basically a swamp for dozens of miles. Given the storms large size a little extra friction to tighten the core up before it heads back over the Sound and into the Atlantic probably isn't a huge deal.

Agree on surge.

pbouchardon7 Pete Bouchard With #irene ashore in North Carolina, New England dodges a bullet. No landfalling hurricane here. #7news

Tim Kelly sounds similar

IMG_0462_normal.jpgSurfSkiWxManTim Kelley NECNI will be surprised if Cat 1 Verifies in New England, #HurricaneIrene Drawing in dry air, headed for cooler water/air1 hour ago

AS I've had since the beginning..I still like HVN as LF to about 20 miles west of ORh as a cat 1.

Winds gusting 55-75..isolated 80 inland..stronger at shore

I may be a bit E of where landfall ends up in CT. I picked Clinton, CT yesterday. I think the Long Beach, NY area is in for a rude awakening come tomorrow morning. I think your HVN area in CT is spot on after coming ashore around Islip and it should track west of ORH. Ekster's family out in the Twin Forks are going to get pummeled. Upton should have some pretty goos obs from Irene as well.

I may be a bit E of where landfall ends up in CT. I picked Clinton, CT yesterday. I think the Long Beach, NY area is in for a rude awakening come tomorrow morning. I think your HVN area in CT is spot on after coming ashore around Islip and it should track west of ORH. Ekster's family out in the Twin Forks are going to get pummeled. Upton should have some pretty goos obs from Irene as well.

Yeah I agree. What's left of the core should mean some real gusty winds here. I'm expecting a lot of tree damage.

I'm not sure it's wise to be downplaying this to the general public.

My thoughts exactly. The difference in sensible weather will be marginal. While the media hype can be annoying, I think it's irresponsible for a big-market met to proclaim that SNE has "dodged a bullet" just because top sustained winds may be 5-10 mph lower than previously forecast.

Thankfully this storm is looking less and less impressive. Even so, as Ryan points out, excessive rains here in the Berkshires will be a serious situation. That coupled with what will undoubtedly be very strong winds is a recipe for an extended period of power loss. The streams and river here are already quite high especially for the time of year. The silver lining in this is that August will certainly go down as a cool, wet month here, AIT back in May.

Thankfully this storm is looking less and less impressive. Even so, as Ryan points out, excessive rains here in the Berkshires will be a serious situation. That coupled with what will undoubtedly be very strong winds is a recipe for an extended period of power loss. The streams and river here are already quite high especially for the time of year. The silver lining in this is that August will certainly go down as a cool, wet month here, AIT back in May.

MRG and Kevin with some of the more reasonable posts this morning.

What's going on?!??!!? lol

Yeah I agree worried about flooding in western NE for sure.

It will be a cat 1 cane upon LF. Make no mistake about that. It'll stay over the water until LI once it moves off the OBX

It may be categorized as a Cat 1 but I'm betting nobody on LI sees sustained hurricane force at official reporting stations. That's just my opinion and it may well be wrong. (picked LI as I feel they were most likely to see the strongest winds...also don't think it happens over here either)

I do think unlike a lot of storms we will see persistent sustained strong TS winds in the 50-65 range over a good area with higher gusts.

Again...warm & wet. :)

Even Mt Wash is +1.7 so far. But back to Irene...

this is amazing...CAT 1. on the old SS scale...this pressure would correspond to a CAT 3!! LOL.

post-218-0-60841000-1314448133.jpg

Phil that's the staggering part of this. Unbelievable to me that it's around 950 and looked so poor coming into NC over warm water. Astounding really, be an amazing post mortem and probably something 10 or 15 years from now that's used as a case history when they better understand what causes some systems to not develop as expected.

It may be categorized as a Cat 1 but I'm betting nobody on LI sees sustained hurricane force at official reporting stations. That's just my opinion and it may well be wrong. (picked LI as I feel they were most likely to see the strongest winds...also don't think it happens over here either)

I do think unlike a lot of storms we will see persistent sustained strong TS winds in the 50-65 range over a good area with higher gusts.

does it matter though?

i'm not sure i see the point in this. does it prove something?

Archived