joxey
Severe wx potential Wednesday

free_man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just caught this on NCEN:

Looks EF-4ish, def EF-3.. southbridge

I'd like to remind folks that once you start getting into this strength of a tornado, a lot will depend on the structural design of the building, like was it secured to the foundation, and if so, by what method? While this is undoubtedly a significant tornado, lets not get to specific in our estimates just by using images, and especially verbal accounts by a media reporter.

The South End of Springfield looks like a war zone. My office building is about 50 yards from the Red Rose Restaurant and the Howard St Armory both of which contained considerable damage. There is much structural damage on the path of the storm is it moved in a southeasterly direction through the city.

Glad you are ok Scoob. We're trying to get in touch with my sister in law in W.Springfield, seems like the phones are out.

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 416

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

740 PM EDT WED JUN 1 2011

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

NORTHERN CONNECTICUT

MASSACHUSETTS

MAINE

NEW HAMPSHIRE

RHODE ISLAND

COASTAL WATERS

EFFECTIVE THIS WEDNESDAY EVENING FROM 740 PM UNTIL 1100 PM EDT.

TORNADOES...HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND

GUSTS TO 70 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE

AREAS.

THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 60 STATUTE

MILES EAST AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 35 MILES SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF

WINDSOR LOCKS CONNECTICUT TO 45 MILES NORTH NORTHWEST OF BANGOR

MAINE. FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED

WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU6).

REMEMBER...A TORNADO WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR

TORNADOES AND SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH

AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR

THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS

AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS.

OTHER WATCH INFORMATION...CONTINUE...WW 411...WW 412...WW

413...WW 414...WW 415...

DISCUSSION...ONGOING SEVERE STORMS --INCLUDING SUPERCELLS-- WILL

CONTINUE TO POSE A THREAT FOR TORNADOES...LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING

WINDS WHILE INTERACTING WITH A MOIST AND MODERATELY UNSTABLE AIR

MASS IN PLACE ACROSS THE REGION. THIS THREAT SHOULD BEGIN TO

DIMINISH LATER TONIGHT AS THE BOUNDARY LAYER GRADUALLY COOLS AND

STABILIZES.

I'd like to remind folks that once you start getting into this strength of a tornado, a lot will depend on the structural design of the building, like was it secured to the foundation, and if so, by what method? While this is undoubtedly a significant tornado, lets not get to specific in our estimates just by using images, and especially verbal accounts by a media reporter.

Not to mention viewer-provided pictures have not been incredibly reliable in the past (e.g. California v. Australia)

I was going by the tree's de-branched, healthy looking trees. Still have their bark though. I should have explained further. But you're right, shouldn't be quick to judge. BUt just by judging those tree damage, i'd say it's a safe bet of the **minimal* strength we're looking at.

I just got home from tracking the 2nd tor in Sturbridge...the rotation was incredible as it followed rt 20. The damage from the 1st tornado is crazy as it crossed 20 West of Sturbridge with sig. damage heading SE towards Southbridge.

I'll never see this again in my life...the sky was so dark and the inflow incredible. I'll try to post pics from my cellphone soon.

As a professional builder I can tell you that Massachusetts has one of the most stringent building codes in the U.S.. All homes must be anchor bolted to the foundation. This has been the code for quite some time.

There's 2 posters on here from Monson..Or there was on Eastern anyway

Hopefully they are OK. I see some tweets from the town that seemed like no major issue. Hopefully somewhat limited the worst.

Archived