joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe wx potential Wednesday

free_man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from downtown Monson-- steeple of First Church gone. Damage about a half mile wide with homes totally destroyed just to the east of the downtown in the Bethany Road area. Car on its side against a tree right next to our friend's home that suffered heavy damage, directly across from the library. Sharp slated debris imbedded in the side of the house-- a grim example of just one of the many ways these storms are so lethal. Town Hall roof badly damaged. A brick building part of the old Monson Acadamy badly damaged, suggesting F3 damage. Huge old trees down. Damage trail about a half mile wide from the First Church area to a bit south of Adams supermarket which apparently suffered a lot of merchandise thrown around. It took a dead bead on Downtown Monson, a beautiful old new England center-- in a flash it's transformed. I live on the northern side of town golf ball size hail, saw the funnel or the meso-cyclone pass by just to the south. Very fortunate to have missed this one...

I dojn't think ive ever lost power in a tstm here.

several times here including a direct hit that nuked my electronics . Pioneer would not cover my receiver and subwoofer under warranty. :D

Logan is firing planes out of there about 1 every 30 seconds. They're taking off real low too.

That storm to the WNW of BOS definitely has some rotation, but its not tightened up a whole lot yet, but the velocity number increased the last few frames.

Probably 60-70 MPH gusts here in Concord, MA. Best Thunderstorm I can remember. Also we have Penny size hail

My girlfriend lives just north of the 90/128 interchange, and she just called to let me know that she was in, and I quote, "the worst storm I have ever seen, and its not even close". Windows were shaking to the point that she has crawled under her bed.

18z Tues WRF hodograph for KORH compared to actual (based off spc mesoanalysis/ruc soundings for 20z):

post-1849-0-76201600-1306976241.png

sorry for the mess but red is local vorticity vectors/pink is based off spc mesoanlysis and ruc/blue is the 18z WRF)

Hopefully get this cell coming in. Looks good.

Definitely looking good, I fully expected it to fizzle away like the earlier storm but it's definitely holding together well. might get into some heavy hail on this one. Constant thunder to my west.

Thankfully the marine layer has kept me safe, feel real bad for all my fellow SNERS who have lost loved ones and their homes, lots of unverified stuff coming in but just know it's pretty bad and especially bad for some of the less known media concentrated areas.

So thankful to be in the severe screw zone this go around....thoughts and prayers out to those who were not so lucky.

Just got back from downtown Monson-- steeple of First Church gone. Damage about a half mile wide with homes totally destroyed just to the east of the downtown in the Bethany Road area. Car on its side against a tree right next to our friend's home that suffered heavy damage, directly across from the library. Sharp slated debris imbedded in the side of the house-- a grim example of just one of the many ways these storms are so lethal. Town Hall roof badly damaged. A brick building part of the old Monson Acadamy badly damaged, suggesting F3 damage. Huge old trees down. Damage trail about a half mile wide from the First Church area to a bit south of Adams supermarket which apparently suffered a lot of merchandise thrown around. It took a dead bead on Downtown Monson, a beautiful old new England center-- in a flash it's transformed. I live on the northern side of town golf ball size hail, saw the funnel or the meso-cyclone pass by just to the south. Very fortunate to have missed this one...

Thanks for writing all these interesting details. It's great to finally get some real specifics on what happened. I'm glad you're OK!

Archived