joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe wx potential Wednesday

free_man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first few here are from Monson. The others are from the Springfield area.

http://interactives....tornado-damage/

We were on the cell phone with our friends from Munson who are off of Stafford Hollow Rd. Their power was already out from the first round and had no TV etc. They were out watching the sky just as the news was warning people in their exact area to head for the basement! They thought we were kidding at first and then they said the sky was turning green/black with lightning. I said hang the hell up an go downstairs.

The amateur footage on the local channels out here is incredible. (WWLP 22, ABC-40)

Brick building with their sides ripped open. Vinyl siding and clapboards ripped off entire neighborhoods, people walking around dazed. Some great still shots of the funnel clouds too. Cars and trucks flipped over. Tomorrow will have a much better grasp on full damage extent. But wow! My heart goes out to those people affected but I am so gladthis was in the southern part of the valley.

We've got a weird color saturation here in far Northeast MA. Things have a pink overtoned orange tint. The storms are to the W-NW passing to the SE. We heard some rumbles, one vague lightning flash, some intermittent light winds. There is a frog choir out back, unconcerned with anything. Still humid.

We were on the cell phone with our friends from Munson who are off of Stafford Hollow Rd. Their power was already out from the first round and had no TV etc. They were out watching the sky just as the news was warning people in their exact area to head for the basement! They thought we were kidding at first and then they said the sky was turning green/black with lightning. I said hang the hell up an go downstairs.

Amazing....That's just a few miles north of me and we didn't have anything here. I did note that all the fire fighters were gathering in town. I think they are going to help the towns just to our north that did get hit (Monson, Brimfield & Sturbridge). I'm thankful I left work in Springfield when I did (after the tornado went through).

Does anyone have any hard specifics Re: Monson? Like, how many houses and buildings damaged, and to what extent? It's really hard to get info about this for some reason.

from what i've heard and read it's pretty bad but it's actually hard to get into the town right now. but that's just media hearsay. the governor in the press conference said "you have to see it to believe it" but again...that's subjective.

from what i've heard and read it's pretty bad but it's actually hard to get into the town right now. but that's just media hearsay. the governor in the press conference said "you have to see it to believe it" but again...that's subjective.

Bingo. The reports are all subjective and adjectives-based-- I'm curious to know what actually happened!

Having spent my first 30 years living in Springfield, I never thought I'd see an event like this. Usually the good stuff is in the Berkshires, or central MA... not in the CT River valley.

I finally got through to my mom a little while ago. She lives in the Pine Point section. No damage there; in fact, she wasn't even aware of what was going on until relatives from CA and NC called to check on her. :lol:

My friend's house in East Forest Park took a direct hit. They lost most of their windows, and there are trees down everywhere (this was on Plumtree Rd., for anyone familiar with the area).

Archived