• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The day has come, January 11-12 Snowstorm

Baroclinic Zone

My daughter's school just got canceled for tomorrow Bridgewater-Raynham. Kind of sucks now with the automated phone calls...Takes to excitement out of waking up and listening to the radio or watch tv and hoping to see/hear your town.

Just don't tell her until tomorrow morning. In fact let her get ready and then spring it on her.

:whistle:

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm miffed right now, honestly. I'm going to drill the SREF's into my head. They seem to be more inline with the Euro at this point so I like that blend right now. The NAM is still the outlier along with the rest of the Mesoscale Models (MM5, RGEM, etc...)

You're fine Bob. The 9z SREF's mirrored the 12z GEFS in a lot of ways. Now the 12z Euro is along the same vein....lock it up, forget about your rain, you're getting a lot of snow.

I think the slight tick E of the GFS ens mean, 12z NAM (still amped but ticked E from 06z), and 12z Euro might be hinting that a Buzzards Bay or Narragansett Bay track was a little too amped up. But I've learned never to discount anything in a setup like this...all we have to do is look back to a little over 5 years ago. :lol:

Yeah that's what scares me. It looked perhaps a hair se of the actual low..which is quite evident on visible sat. I think the key will be the winds at HSE. Some of the models have the low kissing HSE, causing winds to go vrb or even se. If it stays north..then perhaps something like the euro happens, but it looked like even the euro brought the low very close to HSE.

Even so, it looks like the low goes almost due north from HSE for a time, thanks to all the forcing and the help of the baroclinic boundary in place. The models are really pointing the isobars to the north and nw, indicating just that. The key seems to be what happens south of MTP. Will it turn ene like 50 miles to the south, or will it get very close to MTP..then turn ene.

Ha!

But businesses have to balance a day's work vs lawsuits if someone is hurt on the way to/from work...

At my old job, our company had an incident where a secretary was killed driving home in an ice storm after her boss wouldn't let her leave early. He later became the regional VP for health and safety. Big settlement $$$

Not sure if I follow you - the company was sued . . . huge settlement, and even though there was this lawsuit and settlement, the guy who was in charged when the company was sued was promoted? So he was rewarded for losing the company tons of money in a settlement?

You're fine Bob. The 9z SREF's mirrored the 12z GEFS in a lot of ways. Now the 12z Euro is along the same vein....lock it up, forget about your rain, you're getting a lot of snow.

I've been hedging myself that way all day. I think I'll max out at like 34-35F but hopefully I am thumping big time by then. Any changeover will make the difference between my getting 12-14 vs 18-20, I think? :weenie:

Yeah that's what scares me. It looked perhaps a hair se of the actual low..which is quite evident on visible sat. I think the key will be the winds at HSE. Some of the models have the low kissing HSE, causing winds to go vrb or even se. If it stays north..then perhaps something like the euro happens, but it looked like even the euro brought the low very close to HSE.

Even so, it looks like the low goes almost due north from HSE for a time, thanks to all the forcing and the help of the baroclinic boundary in place. The models are really pointing the isobars to the north and nw, indicating just that. The key seems to be what happens south of MTP. Will it turn ene like 50 miles to the south, or will it get very close to MTP..then turn ene.

From upstream Philly office 10:45 am discussion:

the surface low pressure system off the southern North Carolina

continues to be tucked in toward the western edge of the model

solutions. Its intensity is pretty much on track.

Anyone (messenger, Will, Tip, Coastal) want to add to this realtime analysis of the low position to get a sense of ETA/RGEM vs. GFS verification...?

From upstream Philly office 10:45 am discussion:

the surface low pressure system off the southern North Carolina

continues to be tucked in toward the western edge of the model

solutions. Its intensity is pretty much on track.

Anyone (messenger, Will, Tip, Coastal) want to add to this realtime analysis of the low position to get a sense of ETA/RGEM vs. GFS verification...?

It certainly gives credence to the meso models...if that position is toward them.

A little disappointed at the euro but still feel comfortable with 12-20. If the nam at 18z trends dramatically toward the gfs I'll be a bit more nervous that an 8-14 forecast would have been better in ct.

Will to kgay are in great shape for 12+

personally thought the 10-16" forecast statewide from this morning's broadcast made sense...actually exactly what I had in mind. Just add in some wording to allow for some spot 20" amounts in the east and lock it in.

Archived