The day has come, January 11-12 Snowstorm

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From upstream Philly office 10:45 am discussion:

the surface low pressure system off the southern North Carolina

continues to be tucked in toward the western edge of the model

solutions. Its intensity is pretty much on track.

Anyone (messenger, Will, Tip, Coastal) want to add to this realtime analysis of the low position to get a sense of ETA/RGEM vs. GFS verification...?

No because ultimately I think it's a red herring right now unless you live at HSE.

It's a hit here regardless on ALL models. The only difference is the epic NAM hit or the GFS/Euro compromise. The westward track right now has to do with the gradient offshore, no the dynamics in question off Jersey in 25-35 hours.

When I was younger I spent a ton of time watching storms at this stage instead of looking aloft. I figured out 2-3 mb pressure differences, 20 miles here or there at this stage based LOOSELY on buoy obs...meant nothing in the end aside of the rare 1/25 type event.

Later on tonight if we have a low curling towards Wall Street I'll care, the NAM does what it does not because it's further west with the surface low when we know it should be a bit further west. It's how it's handling the energy around TN/OH that matters for us from this being the great blizzard of 2011, to a great snowstorm of 2011

personally thought the 10-16" forecast statewide from this morning's broadcast made sense...actually exactly what I had in mind. Just add in some wording to allow for some spot 20" amounts in the east and lock it in.

Yeah 10-16 may have been more prudent but I think if we can get into the ccb we are going to rip some incredible rates. Mid level low track perfect for us. We shall see.

Ratios must be excellent on the for ORH on the NAM with the -12 to -18 C temps around 600-650mbs.

omeg.png

Very nice! That graphic is kind of odd wrt how they label the velocities though. I've always been used to the units being in -ubar/sec so that + meant upward velocities but it appears this is switched here.

No because ultimately I think it's a red herring right now unless you live at HSE.

It's a hit here regardless on ALL models. The only difference is the epic NAM hit or the GFS. The westward track right now has to do with the gradient offshore, no the dynamics in question off Jersey in 25-35 hours.

When I was younger I spent a ton of time watching storms at this stage instead of looking aloft. I figured out 2-3 mb pressure differences, 20 miles here or there at this stage based LOOSELY on buoy obs...meant nothing in the end aside of the rare 1/25 type event.

Later on tonight if we have a low curling towards Wall Street I'll care, the NAM does what it does not because it's further west with the surface low when we know it should be a bit further west. It's how it's handling the energy around TN/OH that matters for us from this being the great blizzard of 2011, to a great snowstorm of 2011

i'll puke.....with the coastal LP tucked in tight to NC coast and argued to go northerly for a while and the 500mb vort a little stronger/ slower could this low just keep riding north a lil longer almost until it over central long island.....that is the worst case scenario in my mind for alot of us in E MA because that would warm the BL the most and have QPF max over GC/WCT /SNY . but others have said a stronger ULL could lead to a later caputure and further east track....so i guess it would depend on 1. track of said coastal (N or NNE) and 2. where mid level low closes off over coastal. but i really don't know if this makes sense messenger....perhaps you could make sense of it.

Yeah 10-16 may have been more prudent but I think if we can get into the ccb we are going to rip some incredible rates. Mid level low track perfect for us. We shall see.

yeah we were talking about it in the thread earlier. whoever gets into the heavy banding is gonna have true white-out conditions for a time...3-4"/hr stuff easily! Just hope the Euro and GFS are wrong about keeping the heaviest stuff farther east. I may be wrong...but I feel like the tend to under-do precip amounts on the western edge of the banding.

Archived