joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The day has come, January 11-12 Snowstorm

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno about 2" for BOS...I think that is too much...it looks more like 1.6 or 1.7" or so to me. They definitely get absolutely hammered though. Its still a fantastic run for anyone east of the CT Valley....its west of there where this makes a difference.

Gun to head if you had to choose the NAM/RGEM vs Euro/GFS/UK thought train which way would you go?

Whats the euro do for me to you to Bob?

Cold enough? QPF?

If we're following the same pattern as 3 days ago there will be a minor correction again tonight.

It would be a wet snowbomb for a while. I think you may mix, but it could be a 33F snow for you..lol. Bob gets hammered.

We'll see what the 18z suite does.

Gun to head if you had to choose the NAM/RGEM vs Euro/GFS/UK thought train which way would you go?

Well the Euro is in between the NAM and GFS/UK...so I'd probably go with the Euro. I think the Euro is split right between the two camps and that's probably the way to go right now. The whole time I've been leaning 70% mesoscale models and 30% globals. I think this storm tracks inside of ACK...so I guess I might go a bit NW of the Euro.

i think a blend of 15z sref+euro+meso modeling will be answer key this afternoon. still supports widespread 10-20 with locally 24 possible. All we are really figuring out is exactly when and where the mid level circ closes off over the coastal in order to create the anomalous U wind jet and setup deformation band. Sooner it does it, more western track, and more moisture on anomalous -U wind throws heavier precip farther west..later...its a bit east. All just details at this point for exactly where the centroid of max snow is. I still always shade northwest of 700mb low track as my best area, which is typically also northwest of qpf max in model world.
here it is folks..Read it and remember it

Well the Euro is in between the NAM and GFS/UK...so I'd probably go with the Euro. I think the Euro is split right between the two camps and that's probably the way to go right now. The whole time I've been leaning 70% mesoscale models and 30% globals. I think this storm tracks inside of ACK...so I guess I might go a bit NW of the Euro.

That's kind of how I feel too. I think the euro is a hair too far east, but perhaps it's on to something. My guess would be near ACK, or something like near MVY-ACK and on to the ene from there.

That's kind of how I feel too. I think the euro is a hair too far east, but perhaps it's on to something. My guess would be near ACK, or something like near MVY-ACK and on to the ene from there.

I think the slight tick E of the GFS ens mean, 12z NAM (still amped but ticked E from 06z), and 12z Euro might be hinting that a Buzzards Bay or Narragansett Bay track was a little too amped up. But I've learned never to discount anything in a setup like this...all we have to do is look back to a little over 5 years ago. :lol:

It would be a wet snowbomb for a while. I think you may mix, but it could be a 33F snow for you..lol. Bob gets hammered.

I'm miffed right now, honestly. I'm going to drill the SREF's into my head. They seem to be more inline with the Euro at this point so I like that blend right now. The NAM is still the outlier along with the rest of the Mesoscale Models (MM5, RGEM, etc...)

My daughter's school just got canceled for tomorrow Bridgewater-Raynham. Kind of sucks now with the automated phone calls...Takes to excitement out of waking up and listening to the radio or watch tv and hoping to see/hear your town.

I wonder if Thursday's school is in danger too with the precip hanging around into Wed. night.

Yep. The heights on the NAM are probably a draw with the GFS but it's again the vorticity placement that seems to give it trouble. It looks off pretty bad to me around TN. The max seems to have scooted a little bit NE which is what the GFS and now the RUC show.

What concerns me about the meso models is they're smoking the same dope as the NAM at 500 in many cases. (I've never bothered to verify a 6h ARW forecast...but it looks like it was brutal aloft) If at 18z we seem the NAM adjust at 5h towards the GFS/Euro we can put the NAM out to pasture 12z.

The euro/uk/gfs are all pretty much lock step at 500mb h24. it's only the NAM/RGEM that go bezerk with the speedmax and like I said red flags on that earlier.

In the end the other day all models, global and regional/meso shifted east inside of 24 hours. What's different here is the overall trajectory, this one is not getting shot out E regardless, so what we are seeing is slight timing adjustments that effect the track/CCB (with regards to the 5h vorticity centers).

So far everything I see at 18z WV/RUC points to the NAM being OTL, but let's see.

What the meso's may more correctly pick up on is a later tendency for this to hook in for a bit as it develops vs a smoother track.

Archived