joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The day has come, January 11-12 Snowstorm

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<br>To be fair, the NAM has gone all over the place within a 50 miles envelope with no run to run consistency other than to say this low will be closer in than originally thought which appears to be a win for it.<br><br>
<br><br>

... with huge implications even further south: for example, philly went from a 3-6 event to a 10-14 event comparing the 0z to 6z ETA... that is a drastic shift in 6hr models within the <30 hr timeframe... the ETA is either on to a major coup over the EURO/RGEM/SREF consensus, or it's on some crack with the amplification.

hence my question on generalities for which models are most accurate in <48 hr timeframe (ETA, EURO, MM5, SREFs, RGEM)

Ratios out this way look to be 15:1 or better. Going to be some nice skiing.

This should get the Berks back in business thankfully. I think I'll just ski down the hill up the street. Actually at the height of the 12/26 storm kids were snowboarding down one of the streets on a huge hill. Kind of nuts but no cars were going anywhere.

<br><br>

... with huge implications even further south: for example, philly went from a 3-6 event to a 10-14 event comparing the 0z to 6z ETA... that is a drastic shift in 6hr models within the <30 hr timeframe... the ETA is either on to a major coup over the EURO/RGEM/SREF consensus, or it's on some crack with the amplification.

hence my question on generalities for which models are most accurate in <48 hr timeframe (ETA, EURO, MM5, SREFs, RGEM)

I think the answer regardless of lead time is Euro based on what I've read here over the years.

This should get the Berks back in business thankfully. I think I'll just ski down the hill up the street. Actually at the height of the 12/26 storm kids were snowboarding down one of the streets on a huge hill. Kind of nuts but no cars were going anywhere.

I'll spend most of the afternoon battening down the hatches at the 2k site. Chesterfield's highway department must have gotten the news as they are pushing the snowbanks back already. Always a good sign. Better than when they use the front end loader to cut run-off channels when a thaw/rainstorm is coming in.lol Ok, have fun all. Big Winter incoming, BIG BIG WINTER.

I tell you what, I think ALY is reallybeing bold in not at lesat having a watch up for the zones around the CD. You've got this really dynamic system with most models showing warning criteria just to the east of the district. Then, you have the 06 NAM which has come in wiht .5 well west of ALY and nearly to Plattsburgh. Sure, might not verify, but having a watch up would seem to be prudent. I guess since they've indicated they like the gfs, they don't see the need.

GFS ens mean went east a bit it looks like but still def west of the OP run...but that east tick might be some evidence that these occasional Buzzards Bay tracks are too amped up. It could also mean nothing...the areas it really affects are SE MA...won't make a big difference for a good chunk of SNE.

It'll snow in the north as well.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Did ya think GYX discussion was odd? They are saying the storm will come up to near the Cape so they must not be buying the GFS track, but their snow totals were 6-10 for CON and 812 or extreme se nh. They are basically giving us the GFS qpf output while buying the euro track. Maybe just being conservative

I dont' know ETA short range verification but I know you cut the qpf by a 1/3 in coastals

GFS ens mean went east a bit it looks like but still def west of the OP run...but that east tick might be some evidence that these occasional Buzzards Bay tracks are too amped up. It could also mean nothing...the areas it really affects are SE MA...won't make a big difference for a good chunk of SNE.

no kidding. its crazy

Archived