joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Jan 9-11 Storm

Wow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just dreaming, but since there is a chance, however small, I'd love nothing more for MBY than an inch of sleet, followed by 4-6 inches of snow, followed by .75zr, then topped of by a couple inches of back end snow just to pretty things up.:devilsmiley:

I would sign up for that type of scenario. Actually, that is similiar to what happened in my area during the January 1988 southeast winter storm. The total amount of freezing precip might be a little off, but that type of scenario was quite similiar.

I got a question. When forecasting for sleet accumulations. Do you use the generic 5:1/10:1 snow ratios as well, or is there a different kind of approach to forecast how much the sleet accumulates?

<3:1 is a good starting point when looking at IP to RN ratios

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/nomogram/ip.and.freezingrain.2.html

Liquid equivalent to sleet ratios - a limited number of “largely to all sleet” cases suggest a liquid equivalent to sleet ratio of 1:2-3 inches.

Its coming for sure!!!

That's what she said... :guitar:

I would sign up for that type of scenario. Actually, that is similiar to what happened in my area during the January 1988 southeast winter storm. The total amount of freezing precip might be a little off, but that type of scenario was quite similiar.

grew up in cola, i remember pizza pan sledding that crust for 3-4 days :thumbsup:

Delta,

We can always count on you to chime in with there is a legitimate threat for the Southeast. I live just down from your ol' stomping grounds in Macon (I'm just south of Warner Robins) and, as you know, we don't get too many winter weather opportunities down this way. I'm sure we'll get a call map out of you as we get closer to the main event, but I would love to hear your preliminary thoughts about how this might play out in central Georgia. I sure would prefer snow over ice, but you can't be too picky when it comes to winter weather around these parts! Looking forward to your input!

back to the models- 00Z NAM has SW closed low very positively tilted and the NW trough less deep at 72 hours- not sure I like that. But it is the NAM.

Update- 84 hour has the trough becoming neutral tilt over TX and Mexico- actually not too far from the Euro :thumbsup:

Looks to be a good bit slower in general.

Delta,

We can always count on you to chime in with there is a legitimate threat for the Southeast. I live just down from your ol' stomping grounds in Macon (I'm just south of Warner Robins) and, as you know, we don't get too many winter weather opportunities down this way. I'm sure we'll get a call map out of you as we get closer to the main event, but I would love to hear your preliminary thoughts about how this might play out in central Georgia. I sure would prefer snow over ice, but you can't be too picky when it comes to winter weather around these parts! Looking forward to your input!

I actually lived in Perry for about 12 years.

Delta,

I didn't know you called Perry home at one time. We've actually had measurable snow the past two years. I think you were still on TV in Macon for one of those before you moved out west. Is this next storm going to give us our next measurable snow? It appears the EURO might give us our best chance, otherwise we might be looking at an IP or ZR event instead. I'm looking forward to your input and your call maps. Make sure you show some love to Houston County!

Oh I saw it and as soon as I did I started yelling at the tv lol. I was on the phone when I saw that and I nearly dropped it. Holy freaking hell, he flat out LIED about what the gfs was showing.

Here's the deal, he was actually showing (in words only, no contour graphics) the euro and gfs. Said the euro was snow but then he shows the gfs and said it showed RAIN for north ga and sleet/freezing rain for SOUTH georgia which is of course a total LIE. Besides it being a total lie, any one care to tell me when there was an icestorm in south georgia and rain in north Ga? :axe:

'

This crap just pisses me off because it's such a disgrace for a so called met to get on tv and lie through his teeth like that. My god glen motherf'n burns is such a total douchebag and fraud. I'm actually going to send in a complaint to them and I hope others do too..this type of stuff is beyond the pale and woefully unprofessional.

If he hasn't got the guts to actually truthfully show what those two models are showing, he needs to sit his ass down and STFU.

Sorry for the sort of off topic rant, but that was absolutely pathetic.

Geez lookout! How do you really feel? LOL!!! Did you like Vince's Christmas gift? I was going to put his head on a silver platter but not so good with cut and paste! LMAO!

So correct me if I'm wrong here, but if this thing slows down too much, isn't there a risk of it phasing/getting eaten by the biggie currently in the Northwest and then going West of the Apps? Is there something preventing that from happening? It just seems very far offshore right now, and being detached I don't see much of anything making it move. I realize it's probably heresy to even mention that, but just wondering.

Archived