Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The Jan 9-11 Storm

Wow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been though a .5 inch ice storm and felt like the world was coming to an end -- can't even fathom triple the damage. And then it gets cold as hell? Not good.

The thing that would worry me as there's not as many Oaks and sturdy trees down there as there is here...it's mostly pines and we all know how that works out with ice.

Now the question is this run close to being accurate? Its quite a bit warmer than the higher resolution Euro at that frame, but because it moves the northeast system out quicker i think and maintains more northern track with the southern low, and stalls it. How often do we see a low and warm advection precip last so long in this part of the country?

This run looks much more like a classic Miller A, compared to the mixed bag of RN, ZR, IP, and SN that the GGEM and previous runs of the GFS were showing. Somewhat comforting as there should be dominant p-types, with very thin transitions. Honestly could care less at temp profiles at this point just as long as they are close, even less of a worry towards your area. We are starting to see some continuity, and that is a good thing, but I am still expecting some perturbations over the next 48-72 hrs. :snowman:

I just hope this stays a Miller A in future runs, last thing we want to see is a Miller B, I am not sure if that could occur if this slows down more, that's the only worry I have. If we get something frozen (sleet or snow) I will be happy. Sleet/snow mix is nice as it makes sledding more fun :-).

I hope it rains here instead, if the choice is between ice and no wintery precip. at all. No way, no how , do we need any of that down here or anywhere else for that matter. Just too devastating.

I agree. There is just nothing good about a devastating ice storm. I'd much rather have just rain. Being without power and stranded at your house SUCKS.

Just for fun, b/n 18z mon-6z wed TNB(boone) get's .73 with an average 2m temp of probably -5C(low 20's) and 850 temps slightly colder near -6. So if you factor in a 20 to 25:1 snow ratio, it's probably 15 - 20 inches for most of the elevations above say 3,500ft. Pretty crazy.

Now the question is this run close to being accurate? Its quite a bit warmer than the higher resolution Euro at that frame, but because it moves the northeast system out quicker i think and maintains more northern track with the southern low, and stalls it. How often do we see a low and warm advection precip last so long in this part of the country?

Did you see the 18z DGEX? They actually are close to agreeing on QPF.

Also, we've had some ice storms here in the last decade to kind of "weed out" the weaker limbs and trees. I don't know the last one in central S.C., but I'm sure there haven't been too many that were serious. Lots of fresh meat for the evil ice monster.

The thing that would worry me as there's not as many Oaks and sturdy trees down there as there is here...it's mostly pines and we all know how that works out with ice.

GSO is 1.0" even, all snow. Starts Monday around noon @ 34 degrees and drops into the mid/upper 20's through the storm.

RDU is .82 with some ice issues. Stays below freezing, but 850's go just above freezing between say 3 am and noon os so.

TW

Thanks tarheelwx. I assume the QPF will decrease as you head West and North? With temps in the low 20's, the ratio should be 10-15 to1

Just for fun, b/n 18z mon-6z wed TNB(boone) get's .73 with an average 2m temp of probably -5C(low 20's) and 850 temps slightly colder near -6. So if you factor in a 20 to 25:1 snow ratio, it's probably 15 - 20 inches for most of the elevations above say 3,500ft. Pretty crazy.

Gonna be a great way to start my semester at app as a commuter from Hudson lol

This precip map is amazing, ATL to CAE to CLT are in the sweet spot.

00zgfsp72int144.gif

I guess I'm a tad confused, packbacker. It seems CAE is potentially in a position for plenty of ice (according, to some members on this board). I don't know, whether I would say that is a "sweet spot," per se'. LOL

Archived