joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Jan 9-11 Storm

Wow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This run looks much more like a classic Miller A, compared to the mixed bag of RN, ZR, IP, and SN that the GGEM and previous runs of the GFS were showing. Somewhat comforting as there should be dominant p-types, with very thin transitions. Honestly could care less at temp profiles at this point just as long as they are close, even less of a worry towards your area. We are starting to see some continuity, and that is a good thing, but I am still expecting some perturbations over the next 48-72 hrs. :snowman:

I agree Weather....I'm just happy to see a storm. I'll worry w/ p-types later.

This is a complicated mess in terms of precip type and amount on the gfs for ga/sc. The mid level warm nose is narrow and cold enough I think it's probably sleet still through hour 108 in places like athens and still mostly snow in gainesville. But clearly after that it does go over to freezing rain. Over in the upstate, it *looks* to be more of a sleet storm after a period of snow. The warm nose is rather thin and less than 2c while the entire boundary layer is subfreezing through 900mb. So after several inches of snow it's a whallop of a sleet storm. It goes without saying, this is a huge snow hit for north carolina though.

uh oh.. this hits the NE... prepare for server overload!! LOL

I've been really hoping this misses the mid atlantic on north...as I'm sure most of us have lol. I want to see Ji completely lose his sanity. One run of the gfs though so we'll see what the ggem and euro shows.

Dude... that is not even funny. I love Winterwx, but that right there would be really, really bad.

lol...Well fortunately nothing we say or do here will impact what it's going to do ;) But what I meant by epic is the possibility of major sleet accumulations as well as snow/freezing rain accumulations.

I actually think this tends to lean more toward sleet here than freezing rain for a good duration of it. There is also the potential for dynamical cooling as there is some heavy precip/strong lift involved here that is slow to move. These types of things would tend to cool things so it's not a given it's freezing rain..or even sleet for that matter.

There was a system a few years ago as you might recall where the models had a plus 3 or 4c 850mb temp here but dynamics actually was able to change it to snow here. Given the heavy totals and the fact that there is decent wedging even at 850mb, there is a good chance there is more snow and sleet than advertised on this run imo. Of course we are worrying about specific sounding details way out in advance on ONE run of the gfs.

Honestly though I sure would like to see my 10 plus inch snow that I've never seen. It's always amazing to me how charlotte can see these amounts but it's nearly impossible southwest of there...especially in georgia.

Taken verbatim, I think RDU probably mixes in with some IP...I'm guessing the IP/SN line would probably be somewhere between Chapel Hill and Raleigh and on southward from there.

Thanks. That's what I was wondering about. Ice is not good, for anybody. No matter how purty it looks. IP is fine.

I've been though a .5 inch ice storm and felt like the world was coming to an end -- can't even fathom triple the damage. And then it gets cold as hell? Not good.

Soudings for CAE indicate it's almost all ZR except for some front end SN/IP...the worst case scenario. Easily 1.3-1.5" of QPF as ice.

Archived