SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Jan 9-11 Storm

Wow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been gone since around noon so I didn't get a chance to see the euro until a bit ago, along with everything else. Also haven't read anything here yet but I do have to pick on cheez a bit for his fear last night of a trend north and warmer trend starting. It would seem the latest runs disagree :devilsmiley:

cheez - where are you? better hurry we are waiting for our new thread lol

i was out from about noon until an hour ago as well. my big surprise was that apparently most (or a lot) of the models are actually in fairly good agreement, from 4 days out. that is just wild - i dont know i recall them being in agreement this far out. i just hope they arent all wrong

some of the snowfall maps even though unreliable as everyone says, are still pretty darn amazing with what they are showing for the se. i have another long day tomorrow but am going to at least try and wait for the 0z gfs (unless the nam doesnt look good)

i was trying to figure out from the ruc on twister what the talk about was for tomorrow, as it looked pretty mundane (for n ga and the upstate) through hour 11. then got to hour 12 lol - looks much more interesting. although for ne ga and the upstate might get downsloped.

i was trying to figure out from the ruc on twister what the talk about was for tomorrow, as it looked pretty mundane (for n ga and the upstate) through hour 11. then got to hour 12 lol - looks much more interesting. although for ne ga and the upstate might get downsloped.

RUC shouldn't really be used except for current conditions and very short-term forecasting (just a few hours out). Precip fields are worthless.

lol There really are a couple of posters on here that ruin it for me. I made one post, not unlike many others I read, with one typo and get thrashed. I'll keep reading and learning and try to sift through the condescending tones that ring through some of the posts.

On another note, Greg Fishel dropped his usual conservative comments on us tonight. Anyone have any info on what specific models he prefers or how he goes about his forecasts when it comes to snow? He's a known snow lover but is almost always late to the party.

RUC shouldn't really be used except for current conditions and very short-term forecasting (just a few hours out). Precip fields are worthless.

the RUC did extremely well out to 12 hours an d 18 on the minor (near miss) event a few weeks ago with wet snow and rain to snow in NC , and the Dec 26 morning event in western NC, SC and GA with teh 700mb moisure lee trough that dumped 3" here. But overall its qpf leaves a lot to be desired.

I nominate NeGa to start a thread. Don't recall he has , and it can really precipitate there LOL.

Agree! Chezz is not around. Lets go nega.

the RUC did extremely well out to 12 hours an d 18 on the minor (near miss) event a few weeks ago with wet snow and rain to snow in NC , and the Dec 26 morning event in western NC, SC and GA with teh 700mb moisure lee trough that dumped 3" here. But overall its qpf leaves a lot to be desired.

I nominate NeGa to start a thread. Don't recall he has , and it can really precipitate there LOL.

Well the moisture keeps getting lighter and lighter each run! But this was expected as usual thing get a little hairy around here within the 3 to 4 day range. Saturday we probably will start worry about being dry slotted or something crazy like that. Then Sunday comes and we realize we are alright and a calmness sets in.

The GooFuS drops 0.27 qpf on me. :blink:

t

Well the moisture keeps getting lighter and lighter each run! But this was expected as usual thing get a little hairy around here within the 3 to 4 day range. Saturday we probably will start worry about being dry slotted or something crazy like that. Then Sunday comes and we realize we are alright and a calmness sets in.

Always trust the pattern, then the models. Im of the thinking this is .50 minimum and closer to .8-1.0 down toward Charlotte. Should see some model consensus/strong trends towards this by Saturday 0z/ no latter than 12z runs.

Archived