joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Jan 9-11 Storm

Wow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay for more Upstate posters!!! I have family in Roebuck so post often!

GSP has pulled the 1988 trigger. wub.gif

Thanks I will, I've been on Eastern as DFree9 for 5 years and have conversed with you.

I was wondering if someone could repost the image that ICEHOCEY77 put up for the 88 storm. I went back to his post, but it just said Posted Image

I understand, and this can easily shift back northward and trend stronger, but the strong agreement among the models all the way down to the QPF output makes me pause for a second. Just feeling a little skeptical today. The 0z models may start to point the way of a trend.

I agree Wow...I'm feeling a little skeptical today also for the RDU area. I'm not saying we won't get anything but like you I have not been impressed w/ the trends today for us to end up w/ a major storm. I'm always a little skeptical though because I've seen a lot of storms trend against me in the past. I am happy that things are looking good for those that haven't received a lot of snow in the past but I don't have a warm fuzzy for mby yet.

Weenies won't like Greg Fish in RDU if they watched at 6.

Care to add to the disco and say what he actually said (I didn't watch at 6).....I'm assuming he went a bit conservative with next weeks storm?

Care to add to the disco and say what he actually said (I didn't watch at 6).....I'm assuming he went a bit conservative with next weeks storm?

He was non-committal -- said it could be a little or a lot, or nothing at all. Pretty standard conservative fare.

He said all options are on the table from a light event to a heavy event. He said not to hang your hat on anything at this point and that things would resolve themselves in a day or two. He said he felt it was likely we'd see some snow, but he wasn't ready to forecast armageddon yet.

He said nothing bad at all.

I agree Wow...I'm feeling a little skeptical today also for the RDU area. I'm not saying we won't get anything but like you I have not been impressed w/ the trends today for us to end up w/ a major storm. I'm always a little skeptical though because I've seen a lot of storms trend against me in the past. I am happy that things are looking good for those that haven't received a lot of snow in the past but I don't have a warm fuzzy for mby yet.

I've had this feeling all along for my area, And today I really have an uneasy feeling, All models have come in with less qpf :unsure:

But Foothills told me not to worry about qpf amounts. So I'm not yet ! :)

I've had this feeling all along for my area, And today I really have an uneasy feeling, All models have come in with less qpf :unsure:

QPF isn't as important right now. The track is semi-consistent across all the models right this second. We need to work out the strength & temps and only time will let us do that first.

Sorry, I am on my mobile and thought I was in the banter thread. He talked about alot of dry air to the south that could hurt us when precip finally arrives. He showed a model (don't know which) that had alot of precip north of NC. Haven't seen anything like that on here though. I still have nightmares about Dec 2000.

And so it begins tonight with the feelings of low QPF because of the models. Personally I am not going to get worried unless there is a huge swing. Remember the Christmas storm was more robust it just missed us because of the setup. Setup with this is totally different but it's probably just underdoing how strong our storm is going to be. I understand anything could happen and our QPF could end up being very low...but it seems more likely we will get more out of this then what the current models show. If the 00z NAM comes in wetter again I don't think we have to worry.

He said all options are on the table from a light event to a heavy event. He said not to hang your hat on anything at this point and that things would resolve themselves in a day or two. He said he felt it was likely we'd see some snow, but he wasn't ready to forecast armageddon yet.

Sorry about that. Thought I was in the banter thread and was speaking more about brick's reaction.

And so it begins tonight with the feelings of low QPF because of the models. Personally I am not going to get worried unless there is a huge swing. Remember the Christmas storm was more robust it just missed us because of the setup. Setup with this is totally different but it's probably just underdoing how strong our storm is going to be. I understand anything could happen and our QPF could end up being very low...but it seems more likely we will get more out of this then what the current models show. If the 00z NAM comes in wetter again I don't think we have to worry.

Yep, I've gotten more than modeled in each of my last 3 events. I think this will bring the precip. T

He was non-committal -- said it could be a little or a lot, or nothing at all. Pretty standard conservative fare.

Thanks guys! I figured Greg threw his hat in early or something, but he's just being classic fish.

Sorry, I am on my mobile and thought I was in the banter thread. He talked about alot of dry air to the south that could hurt us when precip finally arrives. He showed a model (don't know which) that had alot of precip north of NC. Haven't seen anything like that on here though. I still have nightmares about Dec 2000.

No problem man, but you know what we're used to around here and I was like :rolleyes: at frist... Thanks for the reply!

This is an excerpt from the study I posted above http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/localdat/TechAttachments/ta2001-02.pdf

I know GSP referenced this storm in their AFD today, I was wondering if mets on this board could comment on the exact similarities to our current theat.

IV. Conclusion

The 7-8 January 1988 heavy snow event

across Georgia and the Carolinas is an

illustration of a record-setting snowfall that

resulted from a flow pattern significantly

different than a flow pattern associated with

the more heralded nor’easter. In the absence

of strong digging shortwaves, high amplitude

troughs, and a rapidly deepening surface

cyclone, heavy snow fell across a significant

portion of north Georgia and the Carolinas,

including the metropolitan areas of Greenville Spartanburg, Asheville, Charlotte,

Greensboro, Raleigh and Columbia. The

heavy snow, greater than 12 inches along and

north of the Interstate 85 corridor in the

western Carolinas shut down commerce and

closed schools for days. This case study

simply serves as a reminder that forecasters

should be just as aware of prolonged, strong

isentropic lift as they are of strong

cyclogenesis when anticipating significant

snowfall events in the southeastern United

States.

And so it begins tonight with the feelings of low QPF because of the models. Personally I am not going to get worried unless there is a huge swing. Remember the Christmas storm was more robust it just missed us because of the setup. Setup with this is totally different but it's probably just underdoing how strong our storm is going to be. I understand anything could happen and our QPF

could end up being very low...but it seems more likely we will get more out of this then what the current models show. If the 00z NAM comes in wetter again I don't think

we have to worry.

[/quote

I am "kind of" concerned about temps attm, more that anything! The setup is SWEET, and qpf should not be a problem! I just do not want a mixed, slushy, muddy mess of WTF! EDIT: sorry about this post earlier. I had posted from the iphone and it does not work out too well. :arrowhead:

Yep, I've gotten more than modeled in each of my last 3 events. I think this will bring the precip. T

me too! There always seem to be a let down of a couple model runs that get people worried. Myself included, then Foothills or Dawson or any of our awesome mets will put some sense in us

I hope I'm not intruding....my 1st post and don't want to break any rules. I live inTopton, NC, far Western NC at 3,006'. I'm about 8 miles ENE of KRHP, Andrews-Murphy airport. If our road gets over 2" then we're stuck up here until it melts. This looks like we may be here a while but we always have 3 weeks of food and a 65K automatic Propane generator. Plus several propane non-electric heaters and 2 fireplaces.

Anyway, if I can be of help with reporting conditions, I'll gladly post them. I have a Davis Pro wireless and upload to several sites. Here's the link to wunderground: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNCTOPTO2 it also has a webcam.

Again, if my condition input would be usefull I'll gladly post. To tell the truth, about all you guys talk about is 'Greek'! :) But I can figure out quite a lot of the posts.

Thanks again and hope I'm not out of line by posting this non-weather information.

What is lost? It is the 18 gfs. Also, gsp made mention to the 1988 storm and the slp being weak. No sweat here ;)

jeesh - i have had to catch up on several hundred posts since i was last able to log on lol. agreed, the storm doesnt have to be that strong to give us a good winter storm (and that might help limit the warmer air coming in overhead). besides, if this turns into a longer duration event, it can still pile on up.

I hope I'm not intruding....my 1st post and don't want to break any rules. I live inTopton, NC, far Western NC at 3,006'. I'm about 8 miles ENE of KRHP, Andrews-Murphy airport. If our road gets over 2" then we're stuck up here until it melts. This looks like we may be here a while but we always have 3 weeks of food and a 65K automatic Propane generator. Plus several propane non-electric heaters and 2 fireplaces.

Anyway, if I can be of help with reporting conditions, I'll gladly post them. I have a Davis Pro wireless and upload to several sites. Here's the link to wunderground: http://www.wundergro...sp?ID=KNCTOPTO2 it also has a webcam.

Again, if my condition input would be usefull I'll gladly post. To tell the truth, about all you guys talk about is 'Greek'! :) But I can figure out quite a lot of the posts.

Thanks again and hope I'm not out of line by posting this non-weather information.

Welcome! Observations are always helpful! If you stay around long enough you will start to figure the foreign language of the Mets.

Archived