• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Jan 9-11 Storm

Wow

I hope the people in parts of Arkansas and northern MS that might get 6-12 don't look at this inaccucrap map and not pay attention to the weather..

If this is anything like the 1988 storm expect 12 inches + in the Memphis area. But anything can happen at this point

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way guys, I changed my snow formula to measure snow accumulation as opposed to snow depth. This should show up in the GFS from here forward and the NAM as well. Here is the 18z NAm snow accumulation using 10:1 ratio compared to the snow depth which is what I was calculating. Obviously you can see the difference.

Snow Accumulatio, what will be shown from here going forward

post-25-0-72429300-1294348246.gif

Snow Depth, the old calculation

post-25-0-17435400-1294348290.gif

By the way guys, I changed my snow formula to measure snow accumulation as opposed to snow depth. This should show up in the GFS from here forward and the NAM as well. Here is the 18z NAm snow accumulation using 10:1 ratio compared to the snow depth which is what I was calculating. Obviously you can see the difference.

Good deal Allan....good blog today and update!

Thx for your time and efforts!:thumbsup:

Dang Allan, is that actual or an example or actual cause if so i need that accumulation line to move down a county in the NW part of MS

000FXUS64 KOHX 062100AFDOHXAREA FORECAST DISCUSSIONNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN300 PM CST THU JAN 6 2011.DISCUSSION...MAIN CONCERNS TODAY ARE AT LEAST A COUPLE OF WINTERWEATHER EVENTS THAT WILL IMPACT THE MID STATE THIS FORECASTPERIOD. THE FIRST WILL BE A CLIPPER TYPE SNOW MAKER LATE TONIGHTTHROUGH FRIDAY OVER MAINLY NORTHEAST AREAS. THE SECOND WILL BE ALARGE SCALE SOUTHERN STORM SYSTEM THAT COULD BRING WIDESPREADSIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY.TRANQUIL WX WAS OVER THE MID STATE THIS AFTERNOON WITH PARTLYCLOUDY SKIES AND TEMPERATURES IN THE 40S. A FAST MOVING SHORTWAVEWAS NOTED OVER THE OHIO VALLEY...AND IT WILL PLUNGE SOUTHEASTWARDTHIS EVENING BRINGING INCREASING CLOUDS. MORE UPPER LEVEL ENERGYALONG WITH A SURGE OF COLD AIR AND LOW LEVEL MOISTURE WILL COME INFOR FRIDAY. THE RESULT WILL BE SNOW SHOWERS OVER OUR NORTHEASTCOUNTIES...WITH SCATTERED RAIN/SNOW MIX ELSEWHERE. THE NORTHPLATEAU AND PARTS OF THE HIGHLAND RIM WILL GET ABOUT 2 INCHESLATE TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY. PRIME TIME FOR ACCUMS WILL BE FRIDAYMORNING. UPSLOPE WILL COME INTO PLAY...WITH AREAS LIKE JAMESTOWN(THE WILD CARD) REACHING 3 INCHES AND MAYBE 4. AREAS LIKENASHVILLE SHOULD COME IN WITH 1 SLUSHY INCH OR LESS...AND LITTLE ORNONE IN THE FAR SOUTHWEST WHERE THE LOWEST LAYER WILL BE TOO WARMFOR ANY ACCUMS.SNOW SHOWERS/FLURRIES WILL TAPER OFF FRIDAY NIGHT. COLD AND DRY WXIS EXPECTED THROUGH SATURDAY AND MOST OF SUNDAY.FOR SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY...MODELS ARE IN REASONABLE AGREEMENTTHAT AN UPPER LOW WILL MOVE NORTHEASTWARD OUT OF TX WITH AGULF COAST SURFACE LOW...AND AN INVERTED TROUGH DEVELOPING INTOTHE TN VALLEY. THIS PATTERN LOOKS FAVORABLE FOR A BIG WINTER WXEVENT...AND GFS/ECMWF MODELS AGREE BY PAINTING SIGNIFICANTSNOWFALL (4+ INCHES) IN MID TN. FORECAST SOUNDINGS INDICATE ALLSNOW THROUGH THE EVENT. DEPENDING ON THE EXACT TRACK OF THE LOWAND STRENGTH OF THE MID/UPPER FEATURES...THIS PATTERN COULDSUPPORT A SWATH OF SUBSTANTIAL (6+) SNOWFALL. AT THIS TIME...ITAPPEARS THE SOUTH HALF WILL BE TARGETED WITH THE HEAVIER AMOUNTS.THE USUAL DISCLAIMERS APPLY...THIS IS SEVERAL DAYS OUT...MODELSCAN CHANGE...AND AMOUNTS CAN VARY CONSIDERABLY ACROSS AN AREA EVENWHEN THINGS DO COME TOGETHER AS EXPECTED. SO IT IS IMPORTANT THATPEOPLE MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS THROUGHOUT THE NEXT SEVERALDAYS.FOR LATE MONDAY THROUGH TUESDAY...A LARGE UPPER LOW WILL BE MOVINGFROM THE CENTRAL STATES TO THE OHIO VALLEY. THIS SYSTEM ANDPROBABLE IMPULSES CIRCULATING AROUND IT...WILL KEEP A CHANCE FORSNOW SHOWERS IN THE FORECAST. MAINLY SMALL ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONSWILL BE POSSIBLE THROUGH THE PERIOD.BY MIDWEEK...ARCTIC AIR WILL BE OVER THE REGION WITH DRY HIGHPRESSURE. CONSENSUS IS TO UNDERCUT MOS TEMPS THROUGH THE EXTENDEDPERIOD...AND THIS WILL BE ESPECIALLY VALID IF THERE IS WIDESPREADSNOW COVER BY THAT TIME. BUNDLE UP AS WE SLIP AND SLIDE INTO THEHEART OF WINTER!

BMX AFD... wow

THAT`S THE SHORT TERM. ITS THE MEDIUM RANGE THAT EVERYBODY IS

WANTING TO HEAR ABOUT...SO HERE GOES.

MUCH TO MY AMAZEMENT...THE GFS AND THE EURO HAVE COME IN LINE VERY

NICELY IN THE LAST COUPLE OF RUNS...AND EVEN MORE SURPRISING...I

WOULD EVEN GO SO FAR AS TO SAY THE GEM IS COMING IN LINE AS WELL.

NOW WHEN I SAY IN LINE...I MEAN THE OVERALL PATTERN IS COMING IN

LINE. ITS THE INTRICACIES THAT ARE GOING TO MAKE THIS EVENT

DIFFICULT. BIG PICTURE...THREE MAJOR MEDIUM AND LONG RANGE MODELS

HAVE THE SHORTWAVE THAT BEGINS OVER CALIFORNIA AND TREKS EASTWARD...

DEVELOPING THE SUNDAY-MONDAY GULF SYSTEM...ELONGATING BY SUNDAY

NIGHT AND GETTING ABSORBED INTO THE MAIN NORTHERN BRANCH OF THE

UPPER LEVEL PATTERN BY MONDAY. THIS ELONGATION WILL TAKE AWAY MOST

THE ENERGY OF THE SYSTEM. UNFORTUNATELY...I BELIEVE THE WEAKENING OF

THE SURFACE LOW COULD CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS. FOR NOW THE ONE THING

THAT IS CERTAIN IS THAT SOME SORT OF FROZEN PRECIPITATION IS GOING

TO FALL ON SUNDAY AND MONDAY. FORECAST SOUNDINGS ARE VERY CLOSE TO

ALL SNOW...WHICH WITH MODEL QPFS OF BETTER THAN 0.75 INCHES COULD

SPELL ALMOST 8 INCHES OF SNOW IN SOME PART OF CENTRAL ALABAMA...BUT

THE PROBLEM THAT ARISES IS THESE SOUNDINGS ARE ACTUALLY SHOWING

FREEZING RAIN...AND 3/4 OF AN INCH OF ICE WOULD BE CRIPPLING. HAVE

NOT INCLUDED ANY OFFICIAL ACCUMULATIONS IN THE FORECAST...BUT THIS

GIVES YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT WE ARE LOOKING AT.

FOR THE FORECAST...HAVE REMOVED THE RAIN OR SNOW WORDING AND

REPLACED IT WITH FREEZING RAIN OR SNOW. LIKE I SAID...SOME TYPE OF

FROZEN PRECIP IS GOING TO FALL SUNDAY AND MONDAY. CONFIDENCE IS

HIGH ON SOMETHING FROZEN FALLING...AND WHATEVER IT IS...A LOT OF

IT...WITH CONFIDENCE REMAINING LOW ON THE TYPE OF PRECIPITATION.

HAVE BUMPED UP POPS AREA WIDE SUNDAY AND MONDAY...TRYING TO STAY

ABOVE MOSGUIDE.

BTW, Joe Bastardi is now on board the SE snow train.

This has really had the markings of a southern snow (Miller A) ALL THE WAY. I have to believe it's only for subscribership or some other back yard reason that their maps cater to them. He was so late to come off his I-70 to I-80 snow event with the Christmas storm it made him look pretty silly. IMO

JB says a widespread storm from Tx. to the Carolinas and then up the coast (big surprise). Thinks at least 3 inches through Raleigh in I-40 corridor and as far south as I-20 with some areas possibly getting 10" and pretty much he describes it as a hybrid MillerA/B (not in those words).

So the standard statement he has for any potential storm. He didn't mention the south, AL/GA/SC? They look to be pretty good spot right now.

I was actually kidding at first, but I read that he actually compares it to this storm, which would make my comment more fact than fiction.

19830210-19830212-6.25.jpg

Archived