• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Jan 9-11 Storm

Wow

I hope I'm not intruding....my 1st post and don't want to break any rules. I live inTopton, NC, far Western NC at 3,006'. I'm about 8 miles ENE of KRHP, Andrews-Murphy airport. If our road gets over 2" then we're stuck up here until it melts. This looks like we may be here a while but we always have 3 weeks of food and a 65K automatic Propane generator. Plus several propane non-electric heaters and 2 fireplaces.

Anyway, if I can be of help with reporting conditions, I'll gladly post them. I have a Davis Pro wireless and upload to several sites. Here's the link to wunderground: http://www.wundergro...sp?ID=KNCTOPTO2 it also has a webcam.

Again, if my condition input would be usefull I'll gladly post. To tell the truth, about all you guys talk about is 'Greek'! :) But I can figure out quite a lot of the posts.

Thanks again and hope I'm not out of line by posting this non-weather information.

Welcome to the fight!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And so it begins tonight with the feelings of low QPF because of the models. Personally I am not going to get worried unless there is a huge swing. Remember the Christmas storm was more robust it just missed us because of the setup. Setup with this is totally different but it's probably just underdoing how strong our storm is going to be. I understand anything could happen and our QPF could end up being very low...but it seems more likely we will get more out of this then what the current models show. If the 00z NAM comes in wetter again I don't think we have to worry.

What's up burger....I have a better feeling for CLT than the RDU area on this one. I really think the RDU area is depending on the interaction w/ the 2nd wave and the trends have not been good on that front today. The models have consistantly shown more qpf for the CLT area. I know Robert has said to not trust the qpf on the models but I'm really skeptical on this one. Hopefully that will pass in future models runs. What can I say, I'm a model hugger!

Wow..how more wrong could one person be...

Honestly, Henry Margusity has always released maps like this and has been wrong more than right. I'm kind of surprised he's allowed to make these maps and actually post them still.

On another note, to anyone who doesn't know yet.. I saw an accuweather pro site map posted.. of the dgex here just a few minutes ago and it's since been removed... you can't do that.. accuweather could technically sue the owner of the server for putting their pay products on here regardless if it's free data. There are ample websites that have the dgex snowfall maps you can post from though.

590x443_01051702_severe2.png

This guy officially, is an idiot. I'm sending him an e-mail and expressing it to him here in a second too.

And so I continue to laugh at this man and his cutoff of the snow for NC and points south. I don't think Henry ever put out that updated winter forecast that he said he would get to (go figure). We can chalk another one up for his failure. :whistle:

This guy officially, is an idiot. I'm sending him an e-mail and expressing it to him here in a second too.

I'm sorry mods for this post but this is just awful. That is as bad of a map as I've ever seen and Henry M. has put out some bad maps in the past.

I hope I'm not intruding....my 1st post and don't want to break any rules. I live inTopton, NC, far Western NC at 3,006'. I'm about 8 miles ENE of KRHP, Andrews-Murphy airport. If our road gets over 2" then we're stuck up here until it melts. This looks like we may be here a while but we always have 3 weeks of food and a 65K automatic Propane generator. Plus several propane non-electric heaters and 2 fireplaces.

Anyway, if I can be of help with reporting conditions, I'll gladly post them. I have a Davis Pro wireless and upload to several sites. Here's the link to wunderground: http://www.wundergro...sp?ID=KNCTOPTO2 it also has a webcam.

Again, if my condition input would be usefull I'll gladly post. To tell the truth, about all you guys talk about is 'Greek'! :) But I can figure out quite a lot of the posts.

Thanks again and hope I'm not out of line by posting this non-weather information.

Hey buddy! Glad you made it on over here. As I said earlier, now I won't have to tell the gang about "my friend over in Topton..." --- and post your webcam image.

We don't have any observers from your area, so any event update will be useful to those of us this side of the mountains... even when you have to leave your the mountain for the motel ;) Good to see you here! Enjoy the ride!

Honestly, Henry Margusity has always released maps like this and has been wrong more than right. I'm kind of surprised he's allowed to make these maps and actually post them still.

On another note, to anyone who doesn't know yet.. I saw an accuweather pro site map posted.. of the dgex here just a few minutes ago and it's since been removed... you can't do that.. accuweather could technically sue the owner of the server for putting their pay products on here regardless if it's free data. There are ample websites that have the dgex snowfall maps you can post from though.

I posted it, because Henry posted it too his Facebook. So I thought it would be considered public domain.

He said this was going to happen. With this explanation

" If someone posts the DGEX model, I think it;'s a great example of the pattern for next weeks storm. You will notice light to moderate snows from the Plains to the Appalachians followed by the storm winding up along coast and hitting most of the major I-95 cities. You can see the DGEX total snow cover map. I think Len has a copy of it too below."

Did anybody in Charlotte catch Eric Thomas 15 minutes ago? He put out a "rough guess, first call" type of map for Monday/Tuesday...it was basically 4-8+ in the Mountains/Foothills/I-40 and 2-4+ in Charlotte Metro with those totals being tempered because of possible sleet mix. Of course he did say that this will be changing by the day.

I posted it, because Henry posted it too his Facebook. So I thought it would be considered public domain.

He said this was going to happen. With this explanation

" If someone posts the DGEX model, I think it;'s a great example of the pattern for next weeks storm. You will notice light to moderate snows from the Plains to the Appalachians followed by the storm winding up along coast and hitting most of the major I-95 cities. You can see the DGEX total snow cover map. I think Len has a copy of it too below."

Yeah, I understand. I figured you saw it posted public but without the url to it instead, it could theoretically still cause problems. Internet copyright infringement is a b**ch. His explanation about it is still terribly wrong saying "light to moderate snows from the plains to Appalachians" I see a couple spots of 18+ inches in Central, GA. I don't understand this man's mind sometimes. That would be almost record setting.

Did anybody in Charlotte catch Eric Thomas 15 minutes ago? He put out a "rough guess, first call" type of map for Monday/Tuesday...it was basically 4-8+ in the Mountains/Foothills with 3-5 in Charlotte Metro with those totals being tempered because of possible sleet mix.

On Jeff Crum's blog he showed an image from Wright Weather that mentioned the thought of ZR for most in NC and snow in the mountains, so ET is probably going on that....I'm still a believer in the all snow scenario.

Hey buddy! Glad you made it on over here. As I said earlier, now I won't have to tell the gang about "my friend over in Topton..." --- and post your webcam image.

We don't have any observers from your area, so any event update will be useful to those of us this side of the mountains... even when you have to leave your the mountain for the motel ;) Good to see you here! Enjoy the ride!

Thanks Solak! I'm really glad you guided my here! Sandy has us all stock up and the big propane tank is filled!

How ever we may feel about the DGEX, it sure has been putting it down the last few runs. I know that is the 84-192 total. But, na, I will stop here :)

Here's another funny map. It looks gorgeous but we all know how it goes. This is from a free site (Noaa) so its best to post this instead of pay maps!

The website is located at http://www.emc.ncep..../dgexops.conus/

eta.totsnow192.gif

How ever we may feel about the DGEX, it sure has been putting it down the last few runs. I know that is the 84-192 total. But, na, I will stop here :)

I loaded the 6 hr snowfall maps (incremental) to make sure there wasn't another storm mixed in with that 192 hr, and yeah it's all from the first storm we are tracking.

I nominate Cheez start the next thread.

I have been gone since around noon so I didn't get a chance to see the euro until a bit ago, along with everything else. Also haven't read anything here yet but I do have to pick on cheez a bit for his fear last night of a trend north and warmer trend starting. It would seem the latest runs disagree :devilsmiley:

Archived