joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Jan 9-11 Storm

Wow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we are getting very close to being within 72 hours right ? 40% chance of precip here on Sunday afternoon.

For the start of the event in GA/AL it is, but for those in NC its about 96 to 120 hours out still and it looks like it's struggling in this range. The NAM is colder than the GFS at 850mb and that makes sense given the setup, and the Euro looks like the NAM so I think the GFS is shearing out the southern vort too quickly, which is a common bias it has. Georgia and Alabama is looking good for a major SN event, and some areas will get a crippling ice storm of either sleet or freezing rain.

For the start of the event in GA/AL it is, but for those in NC its about 96 to 120 hours out still and it looks like it's struggling in this range. The NAM is colder than the GFS at 850mb and that makes sense given the setup, and the Euro looks like the NAM so I think the GFS is shearing out the southern vort too quickly, which is a common bias it has. Georgia and Alabama is looking good for a major SN event, and some areas will get a crippling ice storm of either sleet or freezing rain.

Ok, thanks.

Im not good at soundings so what would this mean? This for Greenville, AL by the wayGFS_3_2011010618_F84_32.0000N_86.5000W.png

That's your classic 32.5 degree rainstorm. You start out a touch below freezing at the surface, but 850mb temps of nearly 10C and latent heat release of what tiny amount that might initially freeze would ultimately lead to the 32.5 rainstorm.

That's your classic 32.5 degree rainstorm. You start out a touch below freezing at the surface, but 850mb temps of nearly 10C and latent heat release of what tiny amount that might initially freeze would ultimately lead to the 32.5 rainstorm.

It could warm up the surface, it depends on how close to the event ending he is and what precip rates are like. With light precip rates the latent heat release would be much less and the surface could hover in the 31-32 range resulting in some slow ice accrual. If it is heavy or moderate precip falling, latent heat release would definitely warm it up to above freezing at the surface. Also depends on the track and strength of the low, the NAM seems a little colder than the GFS so a lot of things need to play out. Point is, this guy is right on the border of a potential ice storm so he needs to pay careful attention to soundings and future model runs and trends.

I love how the GFS is wrong always when it shows a crappy solution, but it can be 10 days away and show a good one and it most likely needs to be watched. The Euro is leaving it's high-resolution advantage as we get closer and the GFS becomes more accurate. Sure, it's the 18z but I've learned that the 18z isn't always a messed up run compared to others. It could just be the only model locking onto something more accurate, or it really could just be too weak. I will stop putting so much into the Euro starting tomorrow night after the 0z runs and pay very close attention to the NAM & GFS, and ultimately the RUC.

I know some people might be mad at me but im hoping for a slight, slight south trend so we in South Alabama and Northern Florida could get some snow.

I'm with you - don't see it happening, but "Hail Mary, full of grace ..."

"Run me out in the cold rain and snow, rain and snow ..."

GFS is really not alone in the sense it dampens out the lead wave at the end. All the models are doing that. It's just doing it the most which makes sense as it has a tendency to shear out southern stream systems to fast. If you look at the gfs and euro aloft, there are not a lot of differences except for this. THe trend IMO will favor a stronger system as we head closer, though.

all of the models have trended the sfc low weaker today, including the Euro

Even though the storm is 3 days away, looks like all the TV mets in the GSP market as well as the GSP Weather Service Office, are on board with a significant winter storm for the upstate. I can't recall them hyping a storm this far out. Amazing!

I think the GSP is jumping the gun a bit, but I personally think they are right. This storm is still in the "potential" category, but there's a good chance it will happen.

What is lost? It is the 18 gfs. Also, gsp made mention to the 1988 storm and the slp being weak. No sweat here ;)

This is about the same time frame the Euro started "losing" the Christmas storm and everyone started panicking. Let's see what tomorrow's runs tell us and which way they trend because there is still a long way to go for those in NC/SC

How is GSP jumping the gun?? I don't think so one bit. IMO my "GOLDEN RULE" for my purpose on TV is too warn the public of the potential of BAD weather.

I think because we are still 80 or more hours out. Things could change alot, and quickly. But like I said, I think the chances of this actually happening are good.

Even though the storm is 3 days away, looks like all the TV mets in the GSP market as well as the GSP Weather Service Office, are on board with a significant winter storm for the upstate. I can't recall them hyping a storm this far out. Amazing!

Yay for more Upstate posters!!! I have family in Roebuck so post often!

GSP has pulled the 1988 trigger. wub.gif

THIS ISBEGINNING TO LOOK LIKE THE JANUARY 1988 SNOW STORM WHERE A WEAK LOWPRESSURE MOVED THROUGH THE GULF AND A PROLONGED PERIOD OF ISENTROPICLIFT REMAINED OVER THE AREA...EVEN THO SYNOPTIC LIFT WAS WEAK. THISPRODUCED A LARGE AREA OF 1 FOOT ACCUMS. IT IS TOO EARLY TO SAYWHETHER THIS MUCH SNOW DEVELOPS...HOWEVER IT IS IN THE REALM OFPOSSIBILITY.

it's 4 days out dude

I understand, and this can easily shift back northward and trend stronger, but the strong agreement among the models all the way down to the QPF output makes me pause for a second. Just feeling a little skeptical today. The 0z models may start to point the way of a trend.

Archived