Wow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's post here

Like night and day...

12z GFS precip at 1 pm on 1/8:

18z NAM at same time

With the 18z NAM looking more like the Euro the 18z GFS should be an interesting run to watch. I'm not going to get to see the 00z runs since I need sleep badly but I feel pretty confident we are going to get really good agreement tonight.

With the 18z NAM looking more like the Euro the 18z GFS should be an interesting run to watch. I'm not going to get to see the 00z runs since I need sleep badly but I feel pretty confident we are going to get really good agreement tonight.

No need to stay up for Euro runs as the Euro is not the only model sniffing this one out luckily.

No need to stay up for Euro runs as the Euro is not the only model sniffing this one out luckily.

Yep which is a good thing, gotta wonder when they do their typical flop. Though this is different from the Christmas storm since it was a Euro vs. GFS all the way until about 3 days out. This could be one that both get right from mid range....well lets hope anyways.

New AFD from BMX with the words snow and inches in it I love reading their AFD's, they must be fun to work with!

Yeah overall every local nws is pretty bullish for so far out which is pretty notable. They were with the last one too, especially gsp. Pretty wild to see twice in as many days the local offices being bullish on winter weather so far in advance. I'm just not used to that lol.

I really like what i see for alabama and ms. I think it's been a while since they have gotten a truly widespread big snow so I would be really happy for them if this pans out as currently advertised.

I havent stayed up for the Euro in a long long time. I do catch up every morning around 6AM. Might stay up for th 0Z gfs..

THe 84 NAM looked to have the Vortex further NE vs. the GFS. Is that more in line with the ECMWF?

Will the forum go in storm mode soon?

If things continue to look promising for the next day or so, yes. Regardless, I'm going to be a little more aggressive in what is posted in the discussion thread...ie deleting off topic/bad posts.

Looking like it. Sorry, Lookout. 18z NAM catching up, let's see if the GFS keeps its weird solution.

No problem...I just wanted to remind everyone. ;)

Yep which is a good thing, gotta wonder when they do their typical flop. Though this is different from the Christmas storm since it was a Euro vs. GFS all the way until about 3 days out. This could be one that both get right from mid range....well lets hope anyways.

Someone plaese correct me if I'm wrong here. We are also not looking at a phasing situation this time. That would make me think the models would have an easier time locking onto a solution. Due to the timing needing to be near perfect for our Christmas storm bomb.

Someone plaese correct me if I'm wrong here. We are also not looking at a phasing situation this time. That would make me think the models would have an easier time locking onto a solution. Due to the timing needing to be near perfect for our Christmas storm bomb.

That's right. This will be more of an overrunning event with CAD in place. The Christmas storm more more of a dynamically driven system due to phasing.

ZR_072-120_0000.gif

That shows a pretty serious ice storm stretching from just south of AGS up to north of ILM. There's a thin area of 15MM(.59") with a wider area of 10MM(.39")

My goodness! That brings back memories of a few years back when we had that terrible icestorm here. Without power in these parts for about 3 days. I sure hope that doesn't happen!

My goodness! That brings back memories of a few years back when we had that terrible icestorm here. Without power in these parts for about 3 days. I sure hope that doesn't happen!

I find icestorms incredibly fascinating but I'll pass on this one, thanks. Its kinda like a tornado...would be amazing to see as long as it stays away from your house. :lol:

Man I don't know how you guys do that anyway. I can't stay up till 2 in the morning anymore. If I don't get 7 hours of sleep I'm useless the next day at work. Must be a bunch of college kids around here. :) Yeah, I like to catch up the next morning with a cup of coffee. So yeah, talk it up and I'll catch you around 8:30!!:thumbsup:

Sorry, just read the wrist slap to stay on topic......I think the EURO will hold it's ground. Again it seems like the really good storms are locked in several days before the event. I think Feb 2004 was like that as well. Anybody know what type of system that was?

SN > IP > RN > ZR imo...

For those fortunate to get an epic IP event out of this, if the storm does materialize as currently modeled, enjoy it!!! While I would take SN over IP any day of the week, 3-4" of shards on the ground wreaks havoc on roads, does not melt as quickly as SN, and transforms the surface into a mini glacier after compaction. We had a storm here last winter, Jan 29th & 30th, that put down a solid 3-4" brick of IP. Went to bed that night with half-dollars flying, and awoke around daybreak with pings at the window. Worst road conditions for the days after I have seen since 03, which was when I relocated to ENC. Also stuck around for longer than most, if not all the SN's I have seen here. I am pulling for those in the deep south on this one, as I/we have had our fill here in the Coastal Plain. Sure it would be nice to cash in also, but very few times does the whole SE get nailed over the course of a couple days.

Word of caution though, the hybrid scenario of something between an A-B can not be taken off the table at this point. This scenario would throw a monkey wrench in dominant p-types, as well as the area affected given waa ahead of the inland low. We are still 120hrs out and looking at NCEP's global model verification page, the guidance is still struggling even at this range.

post-382-0-11133100-1294265332.jpg

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/

Archived