SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Jan 9-11 Storm

Wow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How accurate is this model, at this range?

Not nearly as as accurate as the global models; however, you can sometimes read where hpc or local wfo's mention it in there afd's. So if they take a look at it, I figure it's worth it for me to look at it as well. Just another outlet to check continuity with other models.

How accurate is this model, at this range?

It's normally awful. For those that missed it, it's initialized with the 78 hour nam forecast..and we all know the long range nam is bad. So if most of the time it is initialized with bad information it's not going to be very accurate. Fun to look at though.

FWIW, the 18z is back to dumping the mother lode deep into the CONUS. Has yet another big SE winter storm for the following weekend, followed by even colder air. This run maintains the PNA ridge for the duration.

Prior runs recently have had a trough into Western Canada signaling a warm up.

Big ice and snow storms followed by prolonged extreme cold. Now that's what I'd love to see!

FWIW, the 18z is back to dumping the mother lode deep into the CONUS. Has yet another big SE winter storm for the following weekend, followed by even colder air. This run maintains the PNA ridge for the duration.

Prior runs recently have had a trough into Western Canada signaling a warm up.

Big ice and snow storms followed by prolonged extreme cold. Now that's what I'd love to see!

Man you are right, the long range 18z gfs is absolutely frigid. That would be something if that verified.

PNS isnt even close...looks like a 45 degree heavy rain.

Well dang :arrowhead:

NWS Mobile/Pensacola is keeping an eye on it though

LONG TERM...NO CHANGES TO THE FORECAST. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THE

PLACEMENT OF THE SURFACE LOW OVER THE NORTHERN GULF IS INDICATED BY

THE GFS BEING MUCH FURTHER SOUTH THAN THE ECMWF...WHICH HAS IT RIGHT

OVER BUY 42007 BY 12Z MONDAY MORNING. LOWS IN THE MID AND UPPER 30S

MONDAY MORNING MEANING PRECIP WOULD BE LIQUID BUT THE TRENDS WILL

CONTINUE BEING MONITORED FOR THE DOWNWARD DRIFT WE FREQUENTLY SEE IN

MOS RUN-TO-RUN. NONETHELESS SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT LOOK LIKE A

WINDY AND RAINY 24 HOURS.

I usually only give the dgex a cursory glance b/c of its extremities, but it actually makes sense at 500mb and from a historical perspective. Much more than any other model at this point. It basically holds together the southern vort as the lead and stronger wave by sliding out the northeast vortex a little quicker. This generally is a trend with models as you get closer to 00hr analysis.

This therefore separates it from the 2nd trailing vort, which comes in as a separate upper low with light snows. This setup would make more climatological sense as it tends to happen after major southeast systems. You get the lead southern wave and then the trailing upper low a day later. It makes meteorological sense given the lack of a huge western NA ridge which reduces the phasing likelihood.

http://raleighwx.ame...NAdgexLoop.html

That streak of lightest amounts goes right over me :axe: I'll pass thanks lol

That would just be stupid piles of snow here!! No way that happens!! But God I wish :thumbsup:

Can't remember many storms at all recently forecast this wet, and as wet as the Canadian 5 days out, usually under estimate at this point...kind of like the GFS.

If you and Jeremy need some help over the weekend let me know, got a feeling it's going to get ugly....the word is out about this place!

Ridiculous cold after the storm -- this is extracted from the new GFS.

Jesus... thats a good week period below freezing with multiple below 20 degree days. Unreal cold!

I usually only give the dgex a cursory glance b/c of its extremities, but it actually makes sense at 500mb and from a historical perspective. Much more than any other model at this point. It basically holds together the southern vort as the lead and stronger wave by sliding out the northeast vortex a little quicker. This generally is a trend with models as you get closer to 00hr analysis.

This therefore separates it from the 2nd trailing vort, which comes in as a separate upper low with light snows. This setup would make more climatological sense as it tends to happen after major southeast systems. You get the lead southern wave and then the trailing upper low several days later. It makes meteorological sense given the lack of a huge western NA ridge which reduces the phasing likelihood.

http://raleighwx.ame...NAdgexLoop.html

I completely agree. The dgex gets a bad rap and rightfully so, since it tends to over amplify system to the point of hilarity. However, in this case, the 500mb presentation looks pretty viable and makes more sense than the convoluted setup the gfs has been spitting out the past few days. Now QPF wise I would say the dgex is overdoing things, but still its placement of the highest QPF might make sense if we see a strong finger band set up similar to the December 30th, 2010 event, as well as what just took place with the Christmas Storm two weeks ago.

Archived