12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May Banter 2024

George BM

Baby Yoda: Lwxkm robbed?

Forecast Discussion

Thursday, May 30, 2024 10:58AM EDT

Very strong and compact closed, cold-cored upper-level low will continue to move into and over the region as we go through the day. The cold front and rain/downpours associated with the front have moved east of the Bay leaving partial clearing and a rapidly cooling airmass aloft. This system is bringing in a record breaking cold-airmass for the end of May into our region. 500mb temperatures overhead will drop to around -32 to -33C w/ 850mb temps holding around -1 to -1.5C. Surface temperatures will climb a few degrees into the mid/upper 50sF for the afternoon. Now, for an airmass this cold, dewpoints will remain fairly high (around 40F or so) partially due to the compact nature of this low and higher dewpoints surrounding. This will lead to MLCAPE of 500+ J/kg by this afternoon which is, again, unusually high for an airmass this cold. In fact, the SPC has the area under a marginal risk of severe weather for today and are considering upgrading us to a slight (2 of 5) risk in the early afternoon update for wind and hail. Even during these late morning hours there are already some intense showers w/ a few lightning discharges mainly west of I-95 with some hail/graupel being reported. These will overspread the region, become more numerous and intensify as we go through the day. With the steep low and mid-level lapse rates in place combined w/ the instability in place as well as such cold thermodynamics, storms will be capable of 45-60mph wind gusts w/ torrential hailers looking likely. Some hailstones could exceed an inch in diameter (quarter-sized hail). The most intense storms could drop several inches of hail/graupel and briefly knock temps down into the upper 30s/lower 40s which will make travel treacherous for a time.

By the evening the upper low will start moving to the east and showers and storms will, accordingly, taper off from west to east. Temperatures will fall into the upper 30s/lower 40s by dawn.

Forecaster Wannabe: George BM

Lwxkm: @Baby Yoda Good thing hail doesn't count as snowfall. ;) While there may be graupel, I can't imagine that graupel as oppose to hail will be the main precip-type. I guess I can root for the three main local airports to get missed by today's hailers.

RodSney: Nah. You've already been crowned. You won't have to forfeit your trophy. Now if some local airports get buried in graupel today causing someone else to have closer numbers, then I might make a trophy for them. But why is this even a thing we're discussing? It's practically June. Get with the program Mother Nature!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
22 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Just got notice that our neighborhood pool is opening on May 11th!  I’m not in pool shape yet.

Sounds good! I gave up being in "pool shape" about 10 years ago...about the time that we started leasing out our share for the neighborhood pool, thank God.  ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Thank you, Toronto. Finally a game 7. Pulling for Nash and Vegas to move those series to a game 7. Firm believer in series going 6 minimum, the more hockey, the better. 

Boston: 0/6 in their last Game 7s, haven't won a Game 7 since 2012-13 (against Toronto that they almost blew a 3-1 lead)

Toronto:0/6 in their last winner take all games (2020 Bubble playoffs they lost in Game 5 in the prelim round), haven't won a Game 7 since 2003-04.

The moveable object versus the resistible force.

On 5/3/2024 at 8:35 AM, RickinBaltimore said:

Boston: 0/6 in their last Game 7s, haven't won a Game 7 since 2012-13 (against Toronto that they almost blew a 3-1 lead)

Toronto:0/6 in their last winner take all games (2020 Bubble playoffs they lost in Game 5 in the prelim round), haven't won a Game 7 since 2003-04.

The moveable object versus the resistible force.

Can’t ask for more than an OT game 7. LFG

12 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Man, the weather has been boring. How are we doing in here? Feel like I haven’t posted in forever… probably less than a month lol.

We need to start thinking summer happy hour/BBQ. If nobody starts planning it soon I might have to try and step up.

It's nearly impossible to believe that we suffered from Eclipse Fever nearly a month ago now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2024 at 9:51 PM, George BM said:

Baby Yoda: Lwxkm robbed?

Forecast Discussion

Thursday, May 30, 2024 10:58AM EDT

Very strong and compact closed, cold-cored upper-level low will continue to move into and over the region as we go through the day. The cold front and rain/downpours associated with the front have moved east of the Bay leaving partial clearing and a rapidly cooling airmass aloft. This system is bringing in a record breaking cold-airmass for the end of May into our region. 500mb temperatures overhead will drop to around -32 to -33C w/ 850mb temps holding around -1 to -1.5C. Surface temperatures will climb a few degrees into the mid/upper 50sF for the afternoon. Now, for an airmass this cold, dewpoints will remain fairly high (around 40F or so) partially due to the compact nature of this low and higher dewpoints surrounding. This will lead to MLCAPE of 500+ J/kg by this afternoon which is, again, unusually high for an airmass this cold. In fact, the SPC has the area under a marginal risk of severe weather for today and are considering upgrading us to a slight (2 of 5) risk in the early afternoon update for wind and hail. Even during these late morning hours there are already some intense showers w/ a few lightning discharges mainly west of I-95 with some hail/graupel being reported. These will overspread the region, become more numerous and intensify as we go through the day. With the steep low and mid-level lapse rates in place combined w/ the instability in place as well as such cold thermodynamics, storms will be capable of 45-60mph wind gusts w/ torrential hailers looking likely. Some hailstones could exceed an inch in diameter (quarter-sized hail). The most intense storms could drop several inches of hail/graupel and briefly knock temps down into the upper 30s/lower 40s which will make travel treacherous for a time.

By the evening the upper low will start moving to the east and showers and storms will, accordingly, taper off from west to east. Temperatures will fall into the upper 30s/lower 40s by dawn.

Forecaster Wannabe: George BM

Lwxkm: @Baby Yoda Good thing hail doesn't count as snowfall. ;) While there may be graupel, I can't imagine that graupel as oppose to hail will be the main precip-type. I guess I can root for the three main local airports to get missed by today's hailers.

RodSney: Nah. You've already been crowned. You won't have to forfeit your trophy. Now if some local airports get buried in graupel today causing someone else to have closer numbers, then I might make a trophy for them. But why is this even a thing we're discussing? It's practically June. Get with the program Mother Nature!

Nice storm, George BM! You are definitely NO wannabe!

On 5/5/2024 at 7:36 PM, NorthArlington101 said:

Man, the weather has been boring. How are we doing in here? Feel like I haven’t posted in forever… probably less than a month lol.

We need to start thinking summer happy hour/BBQ. If nobody starts planning it soon I might have to try and step up.

Well at least his boring weather is helping heat up the pool before summer swim, which is somehow only 3 weeks away 

• Like 1

Surprised the beer drinkers here haven’t been talking about the Frederick beer festival. Thought about going, but $45 is kinda steep for a bourbon drinker lol. Looks like rain is incoming as well.

• Like 1