Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
New England Met Spring 2024 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

18 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Less relevant than the above but has anyone else had issues trying to navigate the NWS Boston site the past few days?

Not BX, but the GYX site has lost (temporarily, one hopes) the drop-down menus for observations/radar, etc., over the past two days.  They worked for a few hours yesterday but are unavailable so far today.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Not BX, but the GYX site has lost (temporarily, one hopes) the drop-down menus for observations/radar, etc., over the past two days.  They worked for a few hours yesterday but are unavailable so far today.

Same for a lot of other sites. Happened a few days ago as well. 

Duluth, Minnesota is basically Portland, ME circa 2013 but add two ski hills and a ton of mountain biking in city limits. Old industrial city on a big a** waterbody slowly gentrifying. Time to buy real estate here is now imo.

Yesterday’s 40 degrees turned into a breezy 70 degrees and sunny.

e29f73b4a1d9340f6f7b6d1e2223a539.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Duluth, Minnesota is basically Portland, ME circa 2013 but add two ski hills and a ton of mountain biking in city limits. Old industrial city on a big a** waterbody slowly gentrifying. Time to buy real estate here is now imo.

Yesterday’s 40 degrees turned into a breezy 70 degrees and sunny.

e29f73b4a1d9340f6f7b6d1e2223a539.jpg

Love the great lakes, wished I lived near one, especially lee side that gets lake effect, but fishing is good too.

I’ve only seen Lake Ontario near Toronto, Lake Erie near Cleveland and Lake Michigan near Chicago. However, the second week of June we are driving out to Green Bay through Ontario and the U.P. so we will be doing some sightseeing around Huron, Superior and Michigan. I’d love to go to Duluth and even Thunder Bay but it won’t be this trip. 

So a baby chipmunk gets into our house the other day, cat probably played with it and got bored and it ran under the fridge. My wife kept the cat in a room and made a path for the chipmunk to go out the door but its panics when she opens the door and runs into a bedroom. For two days she keeps the bedroom door closed to keep the cat away and periodically tries to catch it to put it outside, no luck. Yesterday morning it's by the door looking weak, she puts it outside with some food, 10 minutes later, it's gone, she thinks she saved the poor little chipmunk. Two hours later the cat brings the chipmunk onto the porch, dead. So we had a chipmunk living in our house for two days and ended up on our porch, dead anyway.

• Haha 6

On 5/24/2024 at 7:47 PM, WxWatcher007 said:

Same for a lot of other sites. Happened a few days ago as well. 

The GYX site offered a work-around.  I looked it up, but it involved going on the browser's "settings", typing "cache" in the search line, then emptying everything in my cache.  Since that would smoke all of my passwords, among other things, I didn't care to comply.  I'm probably missing something there.  :unsure:

My project is done. Stripped off the 40 year old siding, put on insulated house wrap, taping the seems, installed new siding, a new picture window and 3 new basement windows. The final bill will come in a little over $18K. 

IMG_4281.jpeg

IMG_4278.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4261.jpeg

IMG_4259.jpeg

• Like 10

9 hours ago, mreaves said:

My project is done. Stripped off the 40 year old siding, put on insulated house wrap, taping the seems, installed new siding, a new picture window and 3 new basement windows. The final bill will come in a little over $18K. 

IMG_4281.jpeg

IMG_4278.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4261.jpeg

IMG_4259.jpeg

you might want to have them finish that strip above the front door :drunk:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

you might want to have them finish that strip above the front door :drunk:

Lol.  That was finished shortly after I took the picture.  As for the strip over the sliding door in back, they are still waiting for the last box of vinyl from the distributor.  An entire box for one long piece and it was supposed to be on the last three delivery trucks.  They'll come back to install that when it comes in.

56 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Lol.  That was finished shortly after I took the picture.  As for the strip over the sliding door in back, they are still waiting for the last box of vinyl from the distributor.  An entire box for one long piece and it was supposed to be on the last three delivery trucks.  They'll come back to install that when it comes in.

you got off cheap with $18k. I recently got 3 quotes just for siding and gutters, all came in at $35k+, and I don't have a very big house.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

you got off cheap with $18k. I recently got 3 quotes just for siding and gutters, all came in at $35k+, and I don't have a very big house.

I interpreted that to mean that @mreaves supplied the labor, and the materials were 18K

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Just got home from Florida and my house is covered in pollen. I always thought pine pollen was late June.  What is the pollen we're seeing now? Don't want to powerwash the deck until its all gone. 

Pine just loads of it rolling with each gust of wind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amarshall said:

Just got home from Florida and my house is covered in pollen. I always thought pine pollen was late June.  What is the pollen we're seeing now? Don't want to powerwash the deck until its all gone. 

It must be a disaster in Duxbury with all the pines. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

SSTs already in the low 60s at Good Harbor Beach. Normal is mid 50s for this date. Things are changing quickly. 

Ha, I was just looking at SSTs/OHC for the Gulf potential and noticed our region.

It’s crazy. Even for our relatively cold neck of the woods it’s a blowtorch. All in about a month too…

aTHZTsF.jpeg

DL5QKMT.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All the local news outlets are covering it.  All the daytime court-tv shows are covering it.  Isn't the FBI involved, too?  What else are you expecting?

8 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said: