Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2024 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

On 4/10/2024 at 5:51 PM, eekuasepinniW said:

Had my first ever bluebird sighting today. :)

I’ve actually seen more bluebirds in our yard (specifically at a suet feeder) this winter than the entire I’ve lived in this area. I do wonder if the warming climate has anything to do with the sudden increase in sightings or perhaps I’m just more vigilant of the different birds that happen to be in our neck of the woods. It really is an incredible sight.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 2:34 AM, Snowedin said:

I’ve actually seen more bluebirds in our yard (specifically at a suet feeder) this winter than the entire I’ve lived in this area. I do wonder if the warming climate has anything to do with the sudden increase in sightings or perhaps I’m just more vigilant of the different birds that happen to be in our neck of the woods. It really is an incredible sight.

We have had Bluebirds for years, but not many. A couple of years ago they started wintering over. We put Bluebird nesting houses up too. They seem to be increasing in numbers.

• Like 1

I currently have a ton of Robin's, Blue Jay's, red winged black birds, grackels, cowbirds, Juncos, chickadees, purple finches, gold finches, Northern flickers...add in a few wild turkeys, 2 chipmunks, and a red squirrel. 

• Like 7

On 4/11/2024 at 3:51 PM, tavwtby said:

got a off weather topic for all you who partake in the edibles etc...my wife's source is no longer carrying her favorite space bar chocolate edible, can anyone point my to where I might be able to find them, she's got a legit gluten allergy so those were the only ones she was able to eat without issues. Appreciate any info. thanks

Check Insa’s site and they have a springfield location to pickup. 

https://insa.com

On 4/20/2024 at 3:06 PM, wxeyeNH said:

We have had Bluebirds for years, but not many. A couple of years ago they started wintering over. We put Bluebird nesting houses up too. They seem to be increasing in numbers.

We put up several a few years ago, but cannot keep the Sparrows out.  Bluebirds try to establish residency, but end up getting bullied by the sparrows.  How do you keep them out?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tunafish said:

We put up several a few years ago, but cannot keep the Sparrows out.  Bluebirds try to establish residency, but end up getting bullied by the sparrows.  How do you keep them out?

We don't do anything special.  For some reason, we don't have too many Bluebirds this spring.  None have taken up nesting in the boxes.  Perhaps they don't like our new Golden Retriever rescue dog that we got last August?