• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2024 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

As far as conspiracy theories go with the Baltimore bridge, it would be much easier to compromise local onboard navigators and crew than it would be to f’k with gps or other satellite coms. 

My older cousin was 25 years in the merchant Marines 70’s-90’s.  He said he was on big ships that only had a crew of 20 to 25 people.   
If you want to hack a ship just hack its crew. They’re all working for the money so they would probably be pretty easy to buy off.

anyway, I think it was just a bad accident. 

We had an ice dam awhile ago and it all melted last week yet I'm still getting water driping down siding and at the corner of the valley where the gutter is. I thought the melting snow was dripping behind the gutter but it's not. The soffit must be full of water, otherwise not sure where it's coming from. 20240330_151335.jpg20240329_073157.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Your roof doesn't look that old so there ought to be two rows of ice and water up from the eave and one running down the entire length of that valley. There could be something there with an incorrect method of shingling the layers or someone skimping on materials. One thing you could check before ripping up your entire valley haha is how the drip edge to gutter detail was done. Most of the time there will be a space vertically between the bottom of the drip edge and where the top of the gutter starts. Some guys will just slap the gutter up with no regard but the proper way is to take a strip of aluminum and slip it under the drip edge then over the top of the back of the gutter if ya follow. That way any water that drips off the drip edge will have only one path-into the gutter. Good luck. Roof Is the most important part of your house.

On 3/30/2024 at 3:25 PM, Lava Rock said:

We had an ice dam awhile ago and it all melted last week yet I'm still getting water driping down siding and at the corner of the valley where the gutter is. I thought the melting snow was dripping behind the gutter but it's not. The soffit must be full of water, otherwise not sure where it's coming from. 20240330_151335.jpg20240329_073157.jpg

• Like 2

On second glance its hard to see if you even have any drip edge... And maybe it's just the picture but a few rows of shingles next to that valley look a bit lifted. Hopefully you know a decent roofer who can take a look at it in person.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sled said:

Your roof doesn't look that old so there ought to be two rows of ice and water up from the eave and one running down the entire length of that valley. There could be something there with an incorrect method of shingling the layers or someone skimping on materials. One thing you could check before ripping up your entire valley haha is how the drip edge to gutter detail was done. Most of the time there will be a space vertically between the bottom of the drip edge and where the top of the gutter starts. Some guys will just slap the gutter up with no regard but the proper way is to take a strip of aluminum and slip it under the drip edge then over the top of the back of the gutter if ya follow. That way any water that drips off the drip edge will have only one path-into the gutter. Good luck. Roof Is the most important part of your house.

I paid a guy to do my gutters and told him to put the strip of aluminum under the drip edge, first day after he did it and it poured, and I noticed he didn't put the strip under the drip edge. He called for his money, and I told him once you put the piece of aluminum in like I asked I'll pay. He said he didn't think it needed it. Looks similar here so you may be right.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I paid a guy to do my gutters and told him to put the strip of aluminum under the drip edge, first day after he did it and it poured, and I noticed he didn't put the strip under the drip edge. He called for his money, and I told him once you put the piece of aluminum in like I asked I'll pay. He said he didn't think it needed it. Looks similar here so you may be right.

Sounds like he wasn't much the thinking type. Water has been doing the same old thing to gutters longer than he or you or I have been alive. Sucks there are those guys out there giving a bad name to contractors.

It's hard to say from just a picture though. I have trouble seeing water coming down the siding just from that little piece of aluminum missing. Id look at the wall inside for any nail pops on the sheetrock, water stains anywhere. Look up at the subfloor in that area of the basement. Could be a can of worms. Hopefully not but don't wait around for it to fix itself.

• Like 1

Just now, Sled said:

Sounds like he wasn't much the thinking type. Water has been doing the same old thing to gutters longer than he or you or I have been alive. Sucks there are those guys out there giving a bad name to contractors.

It's hard to say from just a picture though. I have trouble seeing water coming down the siding just from that little piece of aluminum missing. Id look at the wall inside for any nail pops on the sheetrock, water stains anywhere. Look up at the subfloor in that area of the basement. Could be a can of worms. Hopefully not but don't wait around for it to fix itself.

I wasn't happy to say the least, but it looks like that may a similar problem above, maybe just needs a repair.

On 3/30/2024 at 3:25 PM, Lava Rock said:

I'm not a roofing expert, but the warped layer of singles does give me cause for concern. Do you know how far up the ice and water shield goes on your roof? 

RLPP.jpg

11 hours ago, Sled said:

On second glance its hard to see if you even have any drip edge... And maybe it's just the picture but a few rows of shingles next to that valley look a bit lifted. Hopefully you know a decent roofer who can take a look at it in person.

there's definitely drip edge and it juts out enough so that the water runs directly into the gutter. I think you're right about not enough ice shield due to the buckled shingles. I think the water was pooling in the soffit. When I took a level to the pine soffit pieces, some of them slope towards the house just enough so that water would eventually drip down the siding. No evidence of wall wetness or damage inside. We also have 1/2" foam board behind the siding so I believe the water is leaking between this foam surface and the backside of siding, but hopefully not on the backside of foam and OSB. I need to a roofer to take a look. 

9 hours ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

I'm not a roofing expert, but the warped layer of singles does give me cause for concern. Do you know how far up the ice and water shield goes on your roof? 

RLPP.jpg

I have pics from when house was built, but none unfortunately that shows the ice shield installed. 

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

there's definitely drip edge and it juts out enough so that the water runs directly into the gutter. I think you're right about not enough ice shield due to the buckled shingles. I think the water was pooling in the soffit. When I took a level to the pine soffit pieces, some of them slope towards the house just enough so that water would eventually drip down the siding. No evidence of wall wetness or damage inside. We also have 1/2" foam board behind the siding so I believe the water is leaking between this foam surface and the backside of siding, but hopefully not on the backside of foam and OSB. I need to a roofer to take a look. 

Is there any space in between the drip edge and gutter vertically where the fascia board is exposed without an aluminum strip shingled below the drip and into the gutter? 

1 hour ago, Sled said:

image.png.efad9648bcfa26de37fc8f9872989c7e.pngthe red part

the red flashing piece as you've depicted is not present. The dripping as of yesterday has stopped, despite the residual snow melt, so I think the ice dam from last week's storm allowed for water pooling in the soffit, but I need to better identify, using a roofer, potential issues. thanks

I've got family in the Albany, NY area and there's been talk of purchasing land in southern VT to build a second home (to be roughly equidistant between us). Family likes the Manchester area, but I've been bombarding them with Dover listings. I haven't explained to them why they are all above 2200ft, but they haven't asked (or noticed).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

I've got family in the Albany, NY area and there's been talk of purchasing land in southern VT to build a second home (to be roughly equidistant between us). Family likes the Manchester area, but I've been bombarding them with Dover listings. I haven't explained to them why they are all above 2200ft, but they haven't asked (or noticed).

When asking where will jackpot in virtually any NE storm, Woodford VT is often the answer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Property taxes in VT are outrageous compared to upstate NY. There are going to be huge increases next year in VT property taxes.  Have you looked at the property taxes in Manchester and Dover compared to the Albany area?

A new estimate puts the projected average property tax bill increase next year at more than 20%. 

https://vtdigger.org/2024/01/30/as-new-data-shows-property-taxes-could-rise-even-higher-than-expected-legislators-mull-their-options/#:~:text=A new estimate puts the,local property tax rate increases.

27 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Property taxes in VT are outrageous compared to upstate NY. There are going to be huge increases next year in VT property taxes.  Have you looked at the property taxes in Manchester and Dover compared to the Albany area?

A new estimate puts the projected average property tax bill increase next year at more than 20%. 

https://vtdigger.org/2024/01/30/as-new-data-shows-property-taxes-could-rise-even-higher-than-expected-legislators-mull-their-options/#:~:text=A new estimate puts the,local property tax rate increases.

My property tax already almost doubled last year. They reassessed all of Manchester in 2023, they went through the roof.

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

No, but I live in NH. Property taxes don't faze me.