Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Discobs 2024

George BM

2 hours ago, katabatic said:

This sure has been one hell of an adventure. I don’t have power, I don’t have Internet although my phone still works thankfully. The snowblower that the condo uses to dig us out is broken and they don’t think we’re gonna get any back up until at least Monday. I estimate we’ve had about 7 feet with another 4 to 6 to come. If I don’t get out on Monday which is when my flight is, Tuesday and Wednesday we’re going to get another 2 feet.

IMG_1612.jpeg

Amazing.  I don't have the words.....

Stay safe, though.  And thanks for providing these updates to us.

3 hours ago, katabatic said:

This sure has been one hell of an adventure. I don’t have power, I don’t have Internet although my phone still works thankfully. The snowblower that the condo uses to dig us out is broken and they don’t think we’re gonna get any back up until at least Monday. I estimate we’ve had about 7 feet with another 4 to 6 to come. If I don’t get out on Monday which is when my flight is, Tuesday and Wednesday we’re going to get another 2 feet.

IMG_1612.jpeg

This is amazing. I've been watching Webcams up there. It looks pretty crazy today. Do you have a shovel? I'd be digging that entrance out for fun. 

• Like 1

Getting leftovers of snow locally, about 8" fell since 03z ... last winter the peak snow depth was on today's date (26") but today's fall only takes us from 4" to 12" and our peak was about 20" in early January. (Locally = 150 N Spokane WA basically, just over Canadian border). Part of me would like to see the 10-15 feet in Sierras (eventually) but we'll settle for being able to get out of our house.  

Katabatic, if you read this, would you possibly consider posting a thread of your pictures on central/western forum? Or just post in existing winter thread (I saw your post there). I will mention your pictures here. A-Wx has no active members in California or PNW (besides me), but a few around CO-WY region. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, katabatic said:

IMG_1612.jpeg

Living vicariously through you, though l’m starting to think you got more than you bargained for. Hell of an adventure. You’re getting pummeled! Keep posting pics and hope you get power back soon. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, katabatic said:

IMG_1612.jpeg

Just an amazing storm up and down the West coast! 

15 hours ago, katabatic said:

IMG_1612.jpeg

You came for a snow fix. It looks like you found one. Wow all that snow! You sure know how to pick when to vacation in a snow zone! I envy you and am jealous as heck! Enjoy the snow! Dig massive amounts of snow! Dig a snow cave! Have fun in it!

You wanted snow. YOU GOT IT!

You are getting a genuine Donner Experience!

45 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Today is gonna be a beaut of a day. Get out and enjoy it. 

I have already been out there digging chickweed, dandelions etc. out of the mulch beds, getting ready to put fresh mulch down. Stuff is growing. More like early April.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

My 5 year old daughter came in excited because she found flowers growing and saw a bee.  

It’s great to hear that your new base state is bringing your daughter joy. At the end of the day, that’s all that matters. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, snowfan said:

It’s great to hear that your new base state is bringing your daughter joy. At the end of the day, that’s all that matters. 

She is 5 and lives in the moment. If it was snowing she would be equally happy 

• Like 3

Greetings again from Donner! This epic storm continues. The entire front of the condo building has now disappeared. We’ve been taking turns at an entrance on the windward side, keeping that open (well, kinda) so at least we can get outside. To get this picture, I waded through waist to chest high snow. I have done multiple lake effect chases so I have seen some pretty intense snow but earlier today we had a thunderstorm that easily dropped 4 or 5 inches in 30 minutes. Still no power, no plow and no internet (phone works!) but warm and well fed. What a once in a lifetime experience for someone who loves this stuff. 

IMG_1641.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, katabatic said:

Greetings again from Donner! This epic storm continues. The entire front of the condo building has now disappeared. We’ve been taking turns at an entrance on the windward side, keeping that open (well, kinda) so at least we can get outside. To get this picture, I waded through waist to chest high snow. I have done multiple lake effect chases so I have seen some pretty intense snow but earlier today we had a thunderstorm that easily dropped 4 or 5 inches in 30 minutes. Still no power, no plow and no internet (phone works!) but warm and well fed. What a once in a lifetime experience for someone who loves this stuff. 

IMG_1641.jpeg

Wild wild west.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, katabatic said:

IMG_1641.jpeg

Need to experience this once in my life, 10 feet there? 

wonder the frequency of a storm like this. Can someone pull the books? @psuhoffman

• Like 1

3 hours ago, katabatic said:

IMG_1641.jpeg

I am absolutely full of jealousy! Wow man the snow at night in the lights must be awesome!

You came in search of a  snow fix. I think you found some!

WOW 9-10 feet of snow!!! And even MORE on the way! Find a job, stay there! You have found HEAVEN!

The Sierra has got everyone else OUTCLASSED! They dont get that much in the Northeast. All the Great Lakes got was only 6 feet.

I pick the Sierra! I WORSHIP Tahoe and Mammoth with all my snow weenie heart!

Mammoth is still blowin hard, ground blizzard. Tahoe is still getting heavy snow and blowing all over, still piling up snow! As can be seen above, Donner is still snowing and blowing and it looks like they have gotten at least 9 feet, maybe 10 feet of snow with another couple feet to come then yet another storm in a few days will dump yet another 2 feet!

Obviously, the Sierra is the place to BE if you love snow. The Cascades are another good place. Extreme high winds plus insane amounts of snow are the BEST. Donner, Tahoe, Mammoth win hands down!

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, nj2va said:

That’s just too much snow, lol. 

For you, lol.

But for ME, There can NEVER be too much snow. Day After Tomorrow was not enough snow for me. Winds weren't nearly high enough. Tahoe's 190 mph wind gust at the Crest met my needs well, as well as insane amounts of the snow. I absolutely worship how that snow blew off the roof at the Mammoth Main Lodge in 125 mph gusts!

Nothing on earth is more important, than getting to see THAT and blasting all my tracks at 950 decibels.

There is NEVER too much snow. There is never enough snow. And that WIND really needs to blow that pow all over the place, in huge white clouds that blot landmarks out for weeks, severely disorientating travelers who soon end up just like Luke Skywalker on Hoth. I wub that blowing powder so much! Mammoth showed me all about that! I love Mammoth, I love Tahoe, and I love Donner.

I can still get my fix from blowing snow off the Woolly Lot.

https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/woolly-cam

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic