Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter 2024

George BM

1 minute ago, toolsheds said:

It makes no sense why the Bears gave him away for nothing.  Fields was worth a lot more than that. 

Wasn't he a first round pick? And he has played pretty well on a mediocre at best team. Odd there weren't more takers.

That 6th round pick is conditional- it can become a 4th depending on playing time etc. Looks like the initial plan is for Fields to backup Wilson though.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Steelers literally steal Justin Fields from the Bears for a 6th round pick in next years draft. I predicted this was gonna happen when they traded Pickett, but not for that meager price. There are bunch of teams that need a QB, and none were willing to give up a late round pick for this dude?

Baffling.

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Baffling.

It is, but we are talking about the Bears. Maybe there really wasn't a market, but then why not just hold on to him. Injuries happen. 

How does Cousins keep positioning himself for the big payday? He is 36 I think and coming off a major injury. It looked like Fields might end up there, but Atlanta chose to overpay an aging middle of the pack QB.

10 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It is, but we are talking about the Bears. Maybe there really wasn't a market, but then why not just hold on to him. Injuries happen. 

How does Cousins keep positioning himself for the big payday? He is 36 I think and coming off a major injury. It looked like Fields might end up there, but Atlanta chose to overpay an aging middle of the pack QB.

Hard not to put together the pattern of how teams/general managers/owners value and compare:

1.  Athletic/mobile black QBs

2.  Traditional drop back pocket passing white QBs

• Like 1

Okay. It's time to own up.

NWS Austin was correct about last night and I WAS DEAD BALLS WRONG!

The rain at 145am did not hate Austin, we got smacked by thunder, lightning and 35 mph winds as I ended up hunkering beneath a gas station canopy for 2 and a half hours because of my LEAKY car roof! Didnt even get to do delivery. I was so damn bored I was reduced to reading sci fi PDFs on my tablet because no wifi. I never even saw that coming! It came out of Mexico literally right out of nowhere! The radar said nada at 1230am.

I got demolished by rain that I declared was not coming. lmao

We got an inch of rain. I didnt get back til 5am lmao.

13 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Hard not to put together the pattern of how teams/general managers/owners value and compare:

1.  Athletic/mobile black QBs

2.  Traditional drop back pocket passing white QBs

Color aside , teams have a better chance to win more games with Kirk than with Justin at this point, it is no longer a build for the future league, it's a win now league - it's that simple... After all the Bears are going to replace Justin with another black mobile QB who might be a better passer ... The final game still features QBs that are primarily big time passers whether they are mobile/athletic or not and regardless of color...........

Color aside , teams have a better chance to win more games with Kirk than with Justin at this point, it is no longer a build for the future league, it's a win now league - it's that simple... After all the Bears are going to replace Justin with another black mobile QB who might be a better passer ... The final game still features QBs that are primarily big time passers whether they are mobile/athletic or not and regardless of color...........

The emphasis on protecting player’s health has created more space in basketball and football…prob hockey, too. It’s all about mobility now. Going forward, I think you’ll see more and more qb’s being able to scramble in the same way you pretty much have to be able to shoot the ball well in the nba, at least through the 1-4 positions.

11 minutes ago, nj2va said:

UVA proving why they should have never been in the tournament. Seton Hall, St John’s or Providence should be playing tonight. 

Some programs you can almost bank on collapsing/underachieving in March. Despite the championship, UVA is one of those programs IMO. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, nj2va said:

UVA proving why they should have never been in the tournament. Seton Hall, St John’s or Providence should be playing tonight. 

as a UVA grad I totally agree.  They need to figure out a decent offense or maybe it's time for the program and TB to part ways.  This is embarrassing (at least we got the Natty)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Some programs you can almost bank on collapsing/underachieving in March. Despite the championship, UVA is one of those programs IMO. 

There's always my undergrad alma mater, Purdue!  They seem to perpetually choke or otherwise flub the tournament even when they have a high seeding.  And...they suffered upset losses TWICE on my birthday, in seasons they were anticipated to go pretty far.  First was 1988, they had the Midwest #1 seed, a very solid team and widely expected to get to the Final Four.  They lost on Friday, March 25, 1988 to #4 seed Kansas State (whom they actually beat handily in a regular season game) in the Sweet 16.  I was at Purdue at that time, a group of us was watching the game that evening just stunned in disappointment.  They lost AGAIN on Friday, March 25, 2022 as a #3 seed to the #15 seed St. Peter's in another Sweet 16 round.  Then of course last year they shared the dubious distinction of being the second #1 seed to lose to a #16 (Virginia being the first to do so a few years before).  At least THAT wasn't on my birthday!  And, at least this year they cannot lose on that day since March 25 is a Monday and there won't be any tourney games on that day!!

This year I fully expect them to not get past the Sweet 16, or if they're lucky maybe they'll get to the Elite 8.  But we'll see.

I also am from Cleveland, so I am very familiar with sports agony!  LOL!!!! :lol:

• Like 2

@Maestrobjwa I agree with others...don't go out west to learn how to ski.  Liberty near Gettysburg is actually a good mountain to learn.  I taught my kids there.  The best time to learn IMO would actually be a warmer day when there would be less distraction from being cold or overly bundled up nor the need to buy a bunch of skiing specific clothes you might never use again...and the snow will be soft and mushy.  You don't want icy conditions when trying to learn.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@Maestrobjwa I agree with others...don't go out west to learn how to ski.  Liberty near Gettysburg is actually a good mountain to learn.  I taught my kids there.  The best time to learn IMO would actually be a warmer day when there would be less distraction from being cold or overly bundled up nor the need to buy a bunch of skiing specific clothes you might never use again...and the snow will be soft and mushy.  You don't want icy conditions when trying to learn.  

I hate soft and mushy more than ice

14 hours ago, pazzo83 said:

as a UVA grad I totally agree.  They need to figure out a decent offense or maybe it's time for the program and TB to part ways.  This is embarrassing (at least we got the Natty)

Tony is obviously a tremendous coach. As someone who spent a quarter of a century coaching the sport and a lifetime playing it, I would just like to say that the easiest points that can be found in a basketball game are from 1) a fast break and 2) offensive rebounds. The UVA program purposely de-emphasizes those two and that perplexes me to no end.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

If you know how to ski I can see this... but I was talking specifically for learning.  I've taught about 25 people and it's much harder for them to get comfortable and establish the basic balance needed when they are sliding all over on ice.  Your first day on skis is not really the right time to learn how to ride your edges lol.  

The idea of moving to the Great Lakes or Northeast/New England sounds nice on paper, but I swear just about every time I look at the satellite imagery there's clouds there.  I don't think I could deal with that over long stretches.  I feel like there's already enough cloudy/windy days here lol.

I’m thinking this year will be another code red summer smokeout. July will be the hottest ever, followed by a record-breaking hurricane season that features a major up the bay around September. Winter will be preemptively canceled in October, which then guarantees a 95/96 redux. 

I wonder how well this post will age. :lol:

9 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I’m thinking this year will be another code red summer smokeout. July will be the hottest ever, followed by a record-breaking hurricane season that features a major up the bay around September. Winter will be preemptively canceled in October, which then guarantees a 95/96 redux. 

I wonder how well this post will age. :lol:

It won't take that long lol. Many will see this look consistently advertised on the seasonal guidance over the next few months and bail.

cansips_z500aMean_month_namer_10.png

On 3/20/2024 at 12:42 PM, WinterWxLuvr said:

On 3/20/2024 at 12:53 PM, psuhoffman said:

If you know how to ski I can see this... but I was talking specifically for learning.  I've taught about 25 people and it's much harder for them to get comfortable and establish the basic balance needed when they are sliding all over on ice.  Your first day on skis is not really the right time to learn how to ride your edges lol.  

As someone that HASN'T been on skis for 20 years I agree with you both. HATED the 'mushy' of late spring (or a rapid warm up in winter to cause those conditions) but also never liked ice. Therefore, I no long ski lol. Just too few 'good/great' days around here even back then. Likely my WORST day ever was at the Homestead in mid Jan with 31/32 and light freezing rain. Think everyone on the slopes would have been better off with a pair of ice skates on. 

As someone that HASN'T been on skis for 20 years I agree with you both. HATED the 'mushy' of late spring (or a rapid warm up in winter to cause those conditions) but also never liked ice. Therefore, I no long ski lol. Just too few 'good/great' days around here even back then. Likely my WORST day ever was at the Homestead in mid Jan with 31/32 and light freezing rain. Think everyone on the slopes would have been better off with a pair of ice skates on. 

You mean you don’t miss overpriced resorts, schlepping skis all over the place, and having to wear 25 lbs of gear?

I’m exaggerating, but there are definitely reasons why I haven’t skied in a while. Long story short…it’s kind of a drag lol.

I’m due for a trip, though…maybe next winter I’ll shake the rust off.

That said, I do enjoy hiking in the snow…was hoping for more of those opps this past winter.

On 3/20/2024 at 12:36 PM, psuhoffman said:

Thank you, @uncletim, @snownut   ,and the rest of you for your input! At a little over an hour and a half away, Liberty is definitely is a doable drive for me, so that one will definitely on the short list :lol: This is the first year I'm actually giving legit consideration to the idea!

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic