Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There's 3 summits above 3K that are having a decent March. Everyone else is skiing on granite. 

This.  It's a pretty narrow area that is getting snow.  Though I will say that it has impacted travel some.  I'm at an in-person meeting today and people from west of the spine said conditions were slick.  The flow must be blocked because there wasn't much where I live east of the mountains.

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

This.  It's a pretty narrow area that is getting snow.  Though I will say that it has impacted travel some.  I'm at an in-person meeting today and people from west of the spine said conditions were slick.  The flow must be blocked because there wasn't much where I live east of the mountains.

Nah deep as can be all over NNE.

27 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

100 percent agree...It's expensive for the family that goes once a year on MLK day or Christmas week who rents skis, pays for a lesson, buys a window ticket, eats breakfast and lunch in the lodge, rents a locker, pays for parking etc.  It always will be.  For the regular skier who knows how plan, and skis more than 4 times a year, it's one of the few activities that is cheaper than it was 15 years ago.  

Like Hunchie said per hour it's still a deal especially when you plan it right. Mid week non vacation in March April can be very very cheap.  Some know some don't have a clue

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well people work. Looks like I see some rocks.

They don't work all winter? Slopes are empty in March as the lowlands have moved on

Like September on the beach. The skynet programming is real to a lot of people 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It did suck. lol

The thing is that it isn't diffiuclt to see what has been hurting us....regardless of what the polar domain has done, the last several winters have sucked. Its because of the west PAC warmth stagnating the forcing in the MC, regardless of ENSO. If that changes, then sure...time to reconsider. But if that does not change and we have a robust Modoki La Nina upon us, then its not as ambiguous as you imply.

Your use of the term "nonsense" is what is nonsensical, since there is pretty iron clad science behind how the impact that MC forcing has on our region and the relationship between the polar domain and the descending phase of the solar cycle, which is where we are headed. The Pacific may change, but the solar cycle will not.

However though Ray, if it was so easy to see what has been hurting us, then why did so many fail in their predictions the last two years?  That’s what doesn’t make sense, or is “Nonsensical.”  

And it’s never just one thing…we all know this. It’s always a combination of things. So, I’ll wait to see what happens again. Before I believe that it will be bad again? Or good?  

I always appreciate your efforts on your forecasts. And will never down anybody’s attempts. I don’t know enough to take a stab at something like that. But I do know it’s never just one thing. 

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It did suck. lol

The thing is that it isn't diffiuclt to see what has been hurting us....regardless of what the polar domain has done, the last several winters have sucked. Its because of the west PAC warmth stagnating the forcing in the MC, regardless of ENSO. If that changes, then sure...time to reconsider. But if that does not change and we have a robust Modoki La Nina upon us, then its not as ambiguous as you imply.

Your use of the term "nonsense" is what is nonsensical, since there is pretty iron clad science behind how the impact that MC forcing has on our region and the relationship between the polar domain and the descending phase of the solar cycle, which is where we are headed. The Pacific may change, but the solar cycle will not.

I think the changes in the weather patterns go far beyond just something in the PAC... Or El Niño or La Nina. Our atmosphere and overall global patterns are a mess. I don't think there's any one thing ( even the best of meteorologists or scientists looking at patterns aren't getting it right ). It's the definition of chaos in our world weather pattern.

I think you did an awesome job, it's just the way of the world at this point. And next year probably will be the same. No way to know if it's going to be a shitty winter or not next year. I definitely wouldn't give it any direction at this point.

Your weather outlook and highlights are appreciated by many on this site! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I will never live in Florida but have multiple relatives/friends and invites to visit and stay anytime, I have no reason too though.

SIL lives in central FL, a dozen miles north from Ocala.  No beaches close at hand but quite pretty - horse country.  My wife has been down there twice but I've no real reason either.  However, the family reunion last May in Lancaster PA was great fun.

Many clouds, fairly brisk wind, cool temps.  Radar showed precip overhead but none reaching the ground here.  Somehow, March temps have run about +10 while never getting milder than 51.   Much meh.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I will never live in Florida but have multiple relatives/friends and invites to visit and stay anytime, I have no reason too though.

I have a friend that lets us use her condo in Sarasota when we want. Just pay for air fare, which is cheap and rent a car. Going down in two weeks. Would like a snow storm before I leave.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

They don't work all winter? Slopes are empty in March as the lowlands have moved on

Well your snapshot at 10:35a on a Tuesday says yes people work. 

Just now, WinterWolf said:

However though Ray, if it was so easy to see what has been hurting us, then why did so many fail in their predictions the last two years?  That’s what doesn’t make sense, or is “Nonsensical.”  

And it’s never just one thing…we all know this. It’s always a combination of things. So, I’ll wait to see what happens again. Before I believe that it will be bad again? Or good?  

I always appreciate your efforts on your forecasts. And will never down anybody’s attempts. I don’t know enough to take a stab at something like that. But I do know it’s never just one thing. 

Great question....because regardless of ENSO state, or what the arctic is doing, the forcing has remained predominately pinned over the MC and that has been informative. But you are right....its not just one thing and eventually it will be something else....but for now, that is the driver.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I think the changes in the weather patterns go far beyond just something in the PAC... Or El Niño or La Nina. Our atmosphere and overall global patterns are a mess. I don't think there's any one thing ( even the best of meteorologists or scientists looking at patterns aren't getting it right ). It's the definition of chaos in our world weather pattern.

I think you did an awesome job, it's just the way of the world at this point. And next year probably will be the same. No way to know if it's going to be a shitty winter or not next year. I definitely wouldn't give it any direction at this point.

Your weather outlook and highlights are appreciated by many on this site! 

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Great question....because regardless of ENSO state, or what the arctic is doing, the forcing has remained predominately pinned over the MC and that has been informative. But you are right....its not just one thing and eventually it will be something else....but for now, that is the driver.

Yea, I agree.....but I just don't see it changing until that PAC configuration shakes up. Some feel as though it won't...I am not in the camp.

TBH, it isn't shtting on my personal outlook results that irritates me so much as being resigned to the fact that long range efforts in general will always be futile. I don't believe that to be the case....will it be within our lifetime that its gets figured out? Probably not....

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I agree.....but I just don't see it changing until that PAC configuration shakes up. Some feel as though it won't...I am not in the camp.

TBH, it isn't shtting on my personal outlook results that irritates me so much as being resigned to the fact that long range efforts in general will always be futile. I don't believe that to be the case....will it be within our lifetime that its gets figured out? Probably not....

AI will figure it out once humans are eliminated 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I have a friend that lets us use her condo in Sarasota when we want. Just pay for air fare, which is cheap and rent a car. Going down in two weeks. Would like a snow storm before I leave.

My SIL is over in Largo, So we can stay anytime there, Just pay the airfare too, They leave a car down there when they come back to ME.

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Spot on.  Best month of summer in Maine is September; best of winter is March.  "Flatlanders" have moved on and moved out of the state.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Awesome dude.  What part of the west coast? Last time I was in the Tampa Port Richey area and it's wall to wall peeps.

Far from Tampa.  Naples is our base.   Even the beaches on a warm day are not crowded.  The only traffic I’ve been in was when I drove up to RSW to pick up our daughter and bf who came down for the weekend of 3/8.  And it was minimal by Boston standards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

That was exactly my thinking when I was your age.  Three years ago I came down kicking and screaming.  This year is so different for me.   I think if I rode like you do it might be different but that also gets tougher with advancing age.

• Like 1

There's some plausibility to that, Ray - just observational/anecdotally

I mean, I saw 3 different -EPO episodes this year ( and have in recent winters, too - ) where the subsequent cold loading appeared to be 'sheared off' before it could really penetrate deeper into latitude. 

The total hemispheric mode of circulation having the speed saturation is hugely problematic to that - more theoretically... Because, when the flow is fast, there are less residence and/or standing wave phenomenon... That's physically provable/ mathematical. Anyway, in practical terms ... that means the teleconnector modes are not in situ long enough before they are being forced to change.  It takes time for the lower troposphere to change ... but if a -EPO is blowing up before it has time to deliver ...that's that shearing. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Local lawn services out in FULL force the last few days in my area.  Even my lawn has grown to the point of needing a first cut in a few areas.  Need to tune up the tractor this weekend to be ready...

Backyard neighbor was out mowing his lawn the other day. I've noticed patches of newer grass popping up as well. Tree in the front yard and neighbors house next door also have buds. In fact, I noticed buds on one of the trees like 2-3 weeks ago. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greenmtnwx said:

Why not just buy a pass for those who want to enjoy it. People buy gym memberships and pay ridiculous amounts of money, you can buy an ikon pass at their discount rate and you get a renewal discount every year and generally can get it for under $1000 a year. I ski 20 to 30 days a year cost me maybe $30-$40 per day of skiing. 

i’m not trying to poo, poo it for the average middle-class family on a budget, but the idea that skiing is too expensive of a recreational sport I just don’t buy. You can generally get equipment for almost nothing or even for free. People give it away all the time on Facebook marketplace or you can go to local ski swaps and buy pretty decent equipment, plenty  good enough to enjoy the sport for nearly nothing. And you can look for discounts on lift tickets, season passes, or some of the Indy type passes that give you plenty of mountains and it’s a very reasonable cost for the whole season. And mind this is coming from somebody who has four kids and we ski a lot. Most ski rental shops will rent you a decent pair of equipment for the season for pretty cheap and they come along with deep discounts on Lyft tickets, or even a free ticket here or there to many local mountains.

My gym membership costs $10/mo but no way we would get more than 5 days of skiing to justify any kind of pass. My kids are into too many other sports/activities during the week and weekends to make skiing more viable. We would need to at least ski the berks as well, would not do ski sundown in CT lol. The cost and time to ski is no longer a top of mind activity for me and the family, at least not regularly. Once a season Vacation/trip, sure.