• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

Impressive stuff up in orange.  This has been one of the weirder 24 hours leading into a storm in my career.  Raising the totals for city and Island was right to do, but biting on the N/W sharp cutoff as a function of near term trends was not.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

sleet/snow mix coating on the ground.  2 - 5 looks good here

NORTHEAST_loop.gif?c=

Now that it's after sunrise I can actually see what happened last night.

From 3 am onwards it alternated between light snow and sleet.  Sometimes snow and sometimes sleet.  The last heavy burst of sleet came in around or just before 6 am and since 6:15 it's been all snow, but it hasn't ever snowed hard, it's just light to occasionally moderate snow.  There are two layers on the ground, there's a translucent layer of sleet at the bottom and a layer of snow on top of that and those two layers cover the streets, the driveways, the grass, and cartops and rooftops.  It's less than an inch thick (both layers combined) and the temperature has been at 33F since 4 AM

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Bit of a hole NENJ through southern Westchester the past hour or two. Best banding just to the NW through EPA, NWNJ, Orange, Putnam.

The band that was over orange finally dropped a bit to here and rockland, probably 3/4” an hour rates now, was dealing with the exhaust from that band for 2 hours to our north. 

0.38 of LE in the bucket.  A coating/0.5 OTG.  Mainly snow now but still some sleet frz rain.  The next 5 hours another 0.4 - 0.6 more qpf should yield 2 - 5inchs of snow  for these parts of South - CNJ. Should  the coastal enhanced bands produce, then the >5" are possible.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Now that it's after sunrise I can actually see what happened last night.

From 3 am onwards it alternated between light snow and sleet.  Sometimes snow and sometimes sleet.  The last heavy burst of sleet came in around or just before 6 am and since 6:15 it's been all snow, but it hasn't ever snowed hard, it's just light to occasionally moderate snow.  There are two layers on the ground, there's a translucent layer of sleet at the bottom and a layer of snow on top of that and those two layers cover the streets, the driveways, the grass, and cartops and rooftops.  It's less than an inch thick (both layers combined) and the temperature has been at 33F since 4 AM

To elaborate on the timing it was a mix of light snow and sleet from 3 AM to 4 AM and then just light snow from 4 AM to 5 AM and then back to a light snow and sleet mix from 5 AM to 6 AM and light snow again after that.  At 3 AM it was 35 F and dropped to 33 F  by 4 AM and then back up to 34 F by 5 AM and then back down to 33 F by 6 AM.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

It has me in the jackpot zone.... where is this 14.5 inches of snow coming from lol?

Is the radar really going to blow up that much in a short amount of time? 

I'm at about 3" in the little purple hole in Somerset County...not looking like 9" in the next few hours

• Like 2