• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

@stormybe careful of that gfs storm. It’s alone. And frankly I’m not even rooting for it because it gets to that solution because it never develops the nao block and swings a NS wave over is which opens the door to that stj wave to come north. But it’s a weird convoluted evolution with high bust potential and if that general progression is correct that’s our only shot as it totally breaks down the pattern after. No thanks. Give me the all other guidance solution. Maybe it means no PD storm but it leads to a long extends window of opportunity not just a low probability one off. 

I hear ya!   The 240 big 3 were close in the NW Gulf at 12z and the extended GFS op produced with support from the GEFS. 

The 18 GFS has went to crap in the OV.

The Weeklies still look good Feb 21 - Mar. 20 and the potentially suppressive block has diminished.

6 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Ugly GfS run i will pretend I never saw. Atmospheric river 2.0 hits California.

Wow, a 1057 mb High over Eastern Canada and rain here . i will call it an OP at range and its the GFS 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I'm not really impressed right now.. we seem to be in a Hadley Cell expansion/mid-latitude High pressure regime that is holding through all of this tendency toward blocking that we are/have been heading into. 

This is day 10-15 eps

IMG_1405.thumb.png.86b332f56d83cd1b2adac6d5a6523fdf.png

Seriously how good of a pattern do you think we need? This is a serious question. Because sure there are some super minor things I could be hyper critical of. Sure ideally I’d move the pac trough west just a smidge.  I guess the -nao could be -3 stdv instead of just -2.  But my god that’s way more good than bad. It’s the best pattern we’ve had in many years. It’s probably a better pattern than we see at all at any time in 90% of winters. And you’re like “meh” it’s not good enough. So seriously. Do you think we’re like Atlanta now and we need like a once in 100 year pattern to get a ton of snow or something?  It’s not supposed to be this F$&@?#% hard!  

• Like 10

lol far too much weenie nonsense going on right now over A SINGLE 200+ hour OP run. Calm the fuck down y’all. Did we expect the GFS to hold a massive snowstorm for 200+ hours? Ensembles, ensembles, ensembles at this range.

It’ll be back and gone again by tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This is day 10-15 eps

Seriously how good of a pattern do you think we need? This is a serious question. Because sure there are some super minor things I could be hyper critical of. Sure ideally I’d move the pac trough west just a smidge.  I guess the -nao could be -3 stdv instead of just -2.  But my god that’s way more good than bad. It’s the best pattern we’ve had in many years. It’s probably a better pattern than we see at all at any time in 90% of winters. And you’re like “meh” it’s not good enough. So seriously. Do you think we’re like Atlanta now and we need like a once in 100 year pattern to get a ton of snow or something?  It’s not supposed to be this F$&@?#% hard!  

I think we are creeping into some high latitude low pressures. Maybe somewhat over Alaska and southern Greenland/north of New Foundland, That's what been showing on a few of the recent OP runs, but we ignored it because of the ensemble means. This is not really showing right now on the averaged ensemble mean, but I've seen this cycle before it will start to get picked up in the coming days especially if they have multiple lows cutting up through the OV/Midwest.  The blocking signal has weakened, but it might not be gone totally... but this is what I was saying before when you guys were posting analog-average-means of +250+dm -NAO's. Right now on the ensemble means its a pretty weak blocking signal, and it's waning in trend, but maybe it will still get better in the coming days, because we still have SSW's impacting the surface +time.. I think probably not though because we have this Hadley Cell expansion/mid latitude ridge showing itself again (like last March) in the CONUS. 

• Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, jayyy said:

lol far too much weenie nonsense going on right now over A SINGLE 200+ hour OP run. Calm the fuck down y’all. Did we expect the GFS to hold a massive snowstorm for 200+ hours? Ensembles, ensembles, ensembles at this range.

It’ll be back and gone again by tomorrow.

This

By next weekend we're cold enough to snow per the GEFS.

Idgaf about what the GfS says 11 days out lol.

gfs-ens_T850a_us_39.png

gfs-ens_T2ma_us_39.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I think we are creeping into some high latitude low pressures. Maybe somewhat over Alaska and southern Greenland/north of New Foundland, That's what been showing on a few of the recent OP runs, but we ignored it because of the ensemble means. This is not really showing right now on the averaged ensemble mean, but I've seen this cycle before it will start to get picked up in the coming days especially if they have multiple lows cutting up through the OV/Midwest.  The blocking signal has weakened, but it might not be gone totally... but this is what I was saying before when you guys were posting analog-average-means of +250+dm -NAO's. Right now on the ensemble means its a pretty weak blocking signal, and it's waning in trend, but maybe it will still get better in the coming days, because we have SSW's impacting the surface +time.. I think probably not though because we have this Hadley Cell expansion/mid latitude ridge showing itself again (like last March) in the CONUS. 

pretty weak blocking signal? really?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I think we are creeping into some high latitude low pressures. Maybe somewhat over Alaska and southern Greenland/north of New Foundland, That's what been showing on a few of the recent OP runs, but we ignored it because of the ensemble means. This is not really showing right now on the averaged ensemble mean, but I've seen this cycle before it will start to get picked up in the coming days especially if they have multiple lows cutting up through the OV/Midwest.  The blocking signal has weakened, but it might not be gone totally... but this is what I was saying before when you guys were posting analog-average-means of +250+dm -NAO's. Right now on the ensemble means its a pretty weak blocking signal, and it's waning in trend, but maybe it will get better in the coming days.. I think probably not though because we have this Hadley Cell expansion/mid latitude ridge showing itself again (like last March) in the CONUS. 

Chuck, those run on sentences are insane man!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paleocene said:

Does anybody have a link to a quick explainer for how SSW impacts things at other levels of the atmosphere? My eyes glaze over at 10mb zonal winds, but if I had any idea how this impacted the charts I do kind of understand thanks to this board (250mb, 500mb, 850mb, surface), it would really help. Thx!

It’s a theory 

2 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

It’s a theory 

You should run the data sometime, it's really educational. 10mb warmings, not coolings, are almost always followed by 500mb warmings over the N. Atlantic NAO region +time. Daily Climate Composites: NOAA Physical Sciences Laboratory  The study is good November through March. 

I said this earlier. That PD weekend storm on the gfs is not likely to happen that way. And we don’t even want it too. The gfs is all alone with a wacky progression of the Atlantic blocking. Last few runs it left it in Scandanavia and that’s why it was able to bring the PD storm up. But that’s also why it was warm and looking at the thermals those snow solutions were precarious at best. This run it slits the block and is just wackadoo in some of its wave breaking. No way it’s close to right.  Seriously pull up the N Hemisphere h5 and loop it. It’s nuts. We simply want to gfs to be wrong. Which it probably is.

The way we want to possibly get a PD storm is for that NS wave to be further southwest and phase in. If it’s amplifying to our north which is what the GFS did to relax the flow and get the stj to  come north, it means something’s gone horribly wrong in the whole pattern!  

Let’s just toss that crazy crap and assume the gfs is wrong. It was wrong with that snowstorm the last 3 runs (at least in the way it got to it) and it’s wrong now with the rainstorm. 

All other guidance does keep the Scandinavian block intact and retrogrades it into Greenland. All other guidance is currently suppressed for the PD threat.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I said this earlier. That PD weekend storm on the gfs is not likely to happen that way. And we don’t even want it too. The gfs is all alone with a wacky progression of the Atlantic blocking. Last few runs it left it in Scandanavia and that’s why it was able to bring the PD storm up. But that’s also why it was warm and looking at the thermals those snow solutions were precarious at best. This run it slits the block and is just wackadoo in some of its wave breaking. No way it’s close to right.  Seriously pull up the N Hemisphere h5 and loop it. It’s nuts. We simply want to gfs to be wrong. Which it probably is.

The way we want to possibly get a PD storm is for that NS wave to be further southwest and phase in. If it’s amplifying to our north which is what the GFS did to relax the flow and get the stj to  come north, it means something’s gone horribly wrong in the whole pattern!  

Let’s just toss that crazy crap and assume the gfs is wrong. It was wrong with that snowstorm the last 3 runs (at least in the way it got to it) and it’s wrong now with the rainstorm. 

All other guidance does keep the Scandinavian block intact and retrogrades it into Greenland. All other guidance is currently suppressed for the PD threat.  

GEFS looks like this. the OP is out to lunch 

IMG_4647.thumb.png.b02d3963194597183b815017c0d90f2b.pngIMG_4646.thumb.png.c9f4c82f09a958cc57ea8978a6bd06a9.png

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I don't think it even really does do a block.. maybe 1 closed contour. It's weak compared to some recent blocks that we have seen, especially March 2023. 

It’s an ensemble at day 10-15. It’s not going to have a ton of closed contours 

• Like 5

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic