• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

^More in agreement with the signal for frozen to our north on the GEFS. With no semblance of HP up north and a marginal airmass, it all hinges on a significant piece of northern stream energy running out in front at the right time to flatten the flow/create confluence. Didn't happen this run.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CAPE said:

^More in agreement with the signal for frozen to our north on the GEFS. With no semblance of HP up north and a marginal airmass, it all hinges on a significant piece of northern stream energy running out in front at the right time to flatten the flow/create confluence. Didn't happen this run.

When do you think is the first legit chance of a accumulating snow for the lowlands? 

3 hours ago, Ji said:

I heard someone compare it to Jan 2022. How warm was it before that storm?

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

It was pouring rain here in the morning when that storm started.  Ended up with around a foot of snow though.  I was sure it was gonna just stay as rain it felt so warm out when I woke up.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

I will keep asking the question?  Where is the Cold High up north for the cold air feed?  This is a common theme time and time again with few exceptions over the past 5 years or so. 

Mid month. As the pattern in the NA transitions towards a blocking regime, there is going to be a lot of vorticity flying around in the NS. As the block develops much of that energy will be consolidated/feed into the 50-50 low as the ridge over Greenland strengthens and builds westward. That sequence of events will promote surface HP over eastern Canada.

• Like 5

Chasing pattern changes has been a tiring process several years in a row. I am impressed with the persistence of some people doing so. I have grown weary and keep wondering if it is all an illusion. I think next week will be rain. I am not counting on anything more than cold liquid. I hope the changes that are supposed to happen after it are real and matter. It seems like a cold dry pattern to me. Thanks for the work people

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 2

In case anyone didn’t know and was afraid to ask - 

The Southern Oscillation Index (SOI) is a standardized index based on the observed sea level pressure (SLP) differences between Tahiti and Darwin, Australia. The SOI is one measure of the large-scale fluctuations in air pressure occurring between the western and eastern tropical Pacific (i.e., the state of the Southern Oscillation) during El Niño and La Niñaepisodes. In general, smoothed time series of the SOI correspond very well with changes in ocean temperatures across the eastern tropical Pacific. The negative phase of the SOI represents below-normal air pressure at Tahiti and above-normal air pressure at Darwin. Prolonged periods of negative (positive) SOI values coincide with abnormally warm (cold) ocean waters across the eastern tropical Pacific typical of El Niño (La Niña) episodes

• Thanks 5

In case anyone didn’t know and was afraid to ask - 
The Southern Oscillation Index (SOI) is a standardized index based on the observed sea level pressure (SLP) differences between Tahiti and Darwin, Australia. The SOI is one measure of the large-scale fluctuations in air pressure occurring between the western and eastern tropical Pacific (i.e., the state of the Southern Oscillation) during El Niño and La Niñaepisodes. In general, smoothed time series of the SOI correspond very well with changes in ocean temperatures across the eastern tropical Pacific. The negative phase of the SOI represents below-normal air pressure at Tahiti and above-normal air pressure at Darwin. Prolonged periods of negative (positive) SOI values coincide with abnormally warm (cold) ocean waters across the eastern tropical Pacific typical of El Niño (La Niña) episodes

Jb said back in the day that negative soi ensures
Troughs keep moving in the sw….not getting stuck like gfs always shows
  • Like 1

With the longwave flow in major flux above us, and acknowledging that the last 2 times this happened (both directions) models all jumped to new conclusions inside of 10 days, it's worth keeping a completely open mind to the VD period. The ingredients are there but dicey (as always). But the path to victory is perfectly logical and has happened b4. 

@Jiyou mentioned 2015 type storms. Yea, I remember a few in more detail now. One in particular. Wave running into a cold press. Temps went from not great leading in to actually too much cold arctic air pressing down and it pacman'd the northern edge really bad. It surprised us a little. Those "press" type of setup do happen here. The VD period is a longshot but if it sets up it's not complicated 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, frd said:

When do you think is the first legit chance of a accumulating snow for the lowlands? 

The h5 pattern becomes generally favorable mid month, but it looks pretty dry until the 20th or so.

Flow streams coming together overhead in the upper atmosphere inhibit lift/promote sinking via convergence/confluence.

1708322400-jKHqlc6A7PA.png

1708300800-NkSeMIQPZ18.png

• Thanks 1

It appears we have 2-3 waves of interest:

The 13th, 19-21, and 22-23. The latter two may actually only be one storm, just disagreement among ensembles on timing. There will be a break of dry weather between the first two waves.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Any concerns with the ridge showing up in the great lakes towards the end of the GEFS run?  Temps are pretty much normal by day 16th on GEFS which might be problematic as we get to the end of February  

993289015_gfs-ens_z500a_namer_65(2).thumb.png.52c81f3bb6b103595cae3495da5ff128.png

That's a pretty flat ridge. Still have the low heights off Atlantic Canada, and check out the surface- pretty good look with HP in a good spot. That should be cold enough if there is a storm tracking underneath.

1708581600-FwN2qyitJiE.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Any concerns with the ridge showing up in the great lakes towards the end of the GEFS run?  Temps are pretty much normal by day 16th on GEFS which might be problematic as we get to the end of February  

993289015_gfs-ens_z500a_namer_65(2).thumb.png.52c81f3bb6b103595cae3495da5ff128.png

not really. the GEFS is just diffuse with everything and is weakest with blocking. not surprising given how the OP has been floundering around. it’s actually really active in the Gulf 

that trough is quickly retrograding as well, so heights along the WC quickly rise. there’s still a strong 50/50 and blocking over the top

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kevin Reilly said:

I will keep asking the question?  Where is the Cold High up north for the cold air feed?  This is a common theme time and time again with few exceptions over the past 5 years or so. 

What answer are you looking for really?  This question is nearly unanswerable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Would that not be a good thing? That more resembles the 0z gfs does it not?

I'd think it should be?  Wouldn't we want that NS trough to swing out just ahead to allow for some confluent flow and colder air to seep in, as the SS wave approaches?  I didn't see all the details, but I take it the 00Z GFS kind of tried to do that, not quite but still somehow offered a snowy solution.

12 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'd think it should be?  Wouldn't we want that NS trough to swing out just ahead to allow for some confluent flow and colder air to seep in, as the SS wave approaches?  I didn't see all the details, but I take it the 00Z GFS kind of tried to do that, not quite but still somehow offered a snowy solution.

There are a few ways it can work, but they all involve pretty intricate wave timing. I like what the 0z GFS did in phasing the 2 pieces of NS energy and then shifting it eastward into the 50-50 region, with the southern shortwave staying separate and lagging behind. Then the next piece of NS energy drops in and interacts with it as it approaches the coast, sharping the shortwave. That deepens the surface low in a good spot just off the coast to our south.

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic