• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

23 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I measured 7.3” in that event (3/21/2018). Most of SoMD did very well.

And we missed another threat a week later because it was suppressed!  Worrying about if it can snow a lot late Feb and early March is the height of weird illogical paranoia imo. 

• Like 1

One of my favorite March storms- March 5-6 2015. It was 0F when I took this photo that morning. Highs were in the mid 20s that day and I went on a great hike at Tuckahoe. We can get deep winter in March, even over here.
post-1005-0-44351800-1425686145.jpg

Your house is beautiful but misplaced lol. Move it to western Md
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

And we missed another threat a week later because it was suppressed!  Worrying about if it can snow a lot late Feb and early March is the height of weird illogical paranoia imo. 

Yes...weird and illogical it is :lol: You feel like the "luck" is worse then. Not that bad luck can't happen anytime in winter, but in a less logical lense...good luck has never happened that week at all! (Even the epic 2010 couldn't do it...a storm missed us the last week of THAT Feb). And the other example you mentioned about a great setup but a weird Fujiwara thing for no reason? Until something works out I'll be paranoid until it finally does, lol

The dreaded memory of March snow conversion. Never good lol.

March 1993

The super storm. I had 11" of snow that flipped to warm, 60 degree rain. That lasted a few hours. I remember the roaring SE winds and crazy temperature rise. Later that day the wind came around to the NW and the temperature dropped into the low teens that night. The snowpack froze solid like a sheet of ice. Then during the night we had a squall come through and drop about an inch of powder on top of that ice sheet. The day after the super storm was the most blowing snow I've seen in my life. It was blowing across that ice sheet. The temperatures never hit 20 and the winds were gusting to 50 mph all day. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

The dreaded memory of March snow conversion. Never good lol.

March 1993

The super storm. I had 11" of snow that flipped to warm, 60 degree rain. That lasted a few hours. I remember the roaring SE winds and crazy temperature rise. Later that day the wind came around to the NW and the temperature dropped into the low teens that night. The snowpack froze solid like a sheet of ice. Then during the night we had a squall come through and drop about an inch of powder on top of that ice sheet. The day after the super storm was the most blowing snow I've seen in my life. It was blowing across that ice sheet. The temperatures never hit 20 and the winds were gusting to 50 mph all day. 

That storm sucked for eastern areas. Had about 8" here then rain, but it wasn't that warm lol. About 40. At the end the cold came back in and the 3" of slop that was left froze solid. Not even a top 20 on my list.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

That storm sucked for eastern areas. Had about 8" here then rain, but it wasn't that warm lol. About 40. At the end the cold came back in and the 3" of slop that was left froze solid. Not even a top 20 on my list.

I was only 13yo and still living in Michigan for that storm.  Naturally we didn't have any real effects there but I remember watching the weather channel non-stop with my dad and being so jealous of all you guys.  Eta I'm sure Jim Cantore was the one reporting it for them.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronTy said:

I was only 13yo and still living in Michigan for that storm.  Naturally we didn't have any real effects there but I remember watching the weather channel non-stop with my dad and being so jealous of all you guys.  Eta I'm sure Jim Cantore was the one reporting it for them.  

Jealous of the Winchester crew maybe lol. Not here. The snow fell heavily while it lasted, but it was like 32 and went straight to heavy rain. Pretty gross.

2 hours ago, IronTy said:

Idk, I get moth fever hard by April so even out by DCL I don't like seeing snow that late!

Speaking of mountains...I was the first person on the summit of Mount Rainier this past August when me and a co-worker climbed. We got the summit all to ourselves for 45min as the sun came up with 20 below wind chills. I even had to pee on the summit during which time I deduced that I was making the highest elevation pee in the entire lower 48 (airplanes aside) that morning. Life milestone achieved. 99c0a1a966a1d9c48eef4336deb18000.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Amazing. Was on my bucket list as a young man. But now I am old and will never do it. Great shot though.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

March 1993

I remember heavy sleet.. the forecast before the storm kept going up, I think we maxed out at 30-36" expected in Baltimore city, then 2 days before it was suppose to mix and we even had forecasts up to 2' of snow the day of, but it ended up being 12" + a lot of sleet (3-4")

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I remember heavy sleet.. the forecast before the storm kept going up, I think we maxed out at 30-36" expected in Baltimore city, then 2 days before it was suppose to mix and we even had forecasts up to 2' of snow the day of, but it ended up being 12" + a lot of sleet (3-4")

We had like 5 inches of sleet on top of over a foot of snow. Only time in life that I have ever slipped and fell in my front yard. And didnt even punch through the frozen sleet glacier. It was nuts. One of the craziest storms of my life. But far from a favorite. 2016 will always be king daddy here. 

• Like 1

In Harford county, March 93 was like 12” of snow with a solid 1-2” of sleet crust on top. Could almost walk on top of it without breaking through. I remember frigid cold and winds the second afternoon. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We had like 5 inches of sleet on top of over a foot of snow. Only time in life that I have ever slipped and fell in my front yard. And didnt even punch through the frozen sleet glacier. It was nuts. One of the craziest storms of my life. But far from a favorite. 2016 will always be king daddy here. 

Living in Fredrick county va in the 90s we had a few this storms were so much freezing rain and sleet fell on top of snow that you could walk on top of it but it was extremely icy—occasionally you’d break through it—other times you’d fall on your butt. The last time that happened was probably the Valentine’s Day sleet storm in 07. But it happened several times in the mid 90s notably the great ice winter of 1994 where it seemed to be like that for weeks on end. I think after that winter my mom wanted to move. There were times my dad had to take her to car on the sled it was so icy. And we had long driveway in the woods—like 100 yards and had to park by the road because for much of that winter we couldn’t drive up it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Never a good thing when this thread turns into a trip down memory lane. If the 18z gfs op is close to accurate, we’ll have blooming daffodils and crocuses before the flip.

I think the writing is on the wall for this winter unfortunately. We got until the end of the month to score a climo snowfall then it's over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic