• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

15 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

What sucks up here in SNE, is that even when the snow threats disappear by the end of March(for the most part), we still have like a good 6 weeks(sometimes more) of mostly crap weather here.  Oh sure, we’ll get a few days of 65-75 here and there, but it never lasts long(except spring of 12), then we’re back to destructive sunshine and 45-53 degrees, with showers and damp and cold, with BD’s killing us. 

So I get the sentiment of if it’s not going to snow…then let’s just look for nicer weather and end winter now. But even if that happened, we’re not heading into a particularly nice stretch of weather for our area of the country, when winter does end.  So wishing it over, and looking for sustainable nice mild weather is far away for us here in early February. 

This sounds weird to say but I would almost rather have 30-35 and sunny over 45-50 and clouds. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NoCORH4L said:

With AGW, it seems the shoulder seasons are being extended, and summer and winter are getting shorter. June used to be a pure summer month, now it's just an extension of late April it seems. 

June was never a pure summer month since I’ve been alive (55 yrs old) here in SNE.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

June was never a pure summer month since I’ve been alive (55 yrs old) here in SNE.  

I dunno bro, maybe not every day of the month, but as a whole I'm pretty sure people in Wallingford and Newington would consider June a summer month. 

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

June has had some cool periods last two years, but has been warm overall.

Yeah last year May,June, Aug were BN at MHT. We just furnaced the winter months. I'm hoping for AN with normal precip. We don't need a repeat of last year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Summer temps disco in the Feb thread. Thats when you know it’s been a great winter!

About to drop some Lesco. What a winter for deep green lawns. 

Wonder if that guy in RI is still mowing?

@MBRI

Screenshot_20240205_080318_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, NoCORH4L said:

I dunno bro, maybe not every day of the month, but as a whole I'm pretty sure people in Wallingford and Newington would consider June a summer month. 

Notice I said “pure”.   Of course it can be warm. But we’ve had plenty cool too(especially early month).  The only point is it can/and does many times take a long while to truly(sustainably) warm up around here in the spring. 

2 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Another 384 hours of GFS for 0.1” of precipitation. Impressive. 

Hopefully more sun this time....solar production has horrendous so far this winter....at least my panels aren't caked in snow

Honestly, time for Spring at this point. I noticed the models are finding ways to screw the pattern up already and we haven't even had the pattern flip yet. Pac going to crap as we get closer and too many shortwaves floating around creating interference. Should probably expect warm/wet, cold/dry pattern to close out the season. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Hopefully more sun this time....solar production has horrendous so far this winter....at least my panels aren't caked in snow

Honestly, time for Spring at this point. I noticed the models are finding ways to screw the pattern up already and we haven't even had the pattern flip yet. Pac going to crap as we get closer and too many shortwaves floating around creating interference. Should probably expect warm/wet, cold/dry pattern to close out the season. 

Pacific has gone to crap? Hmmm?  Last evening pacific looked great. 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I think I read maybe 15 years ago that robins retreat into the woods for winter but don’t fly anywhere.  Growing up I thought they migrated.

https://journeynorth.org/tm/robin/facts_migration.html#:~:text=In spring and summer%2C they,it easier to spot predators.

"They follow the 37f isotherm", that's why they seemed to never leave.

• Like 1

I have found in life that when there are things we can't control, like the weather (or can we....?), there is tremendous benefit in finding positives in whatever the "thing" is.  In the case of winter weather, there's the fun associated with tracking, the excitement trying to determine what, if any amount of snow one may get, seeing and hearing about other storms (i.e.: Cape Breton right now), etc.  It's incredibly easy to fall back on the "everything is terrible" bandwagon and Lord knows, misery absolutely loves company!  When there's nothing going on and it's Seattle weather for days, brutally cold and dry, or some other form of typically undesirable weather for winter months, force yourself to go out into it - find something positive about it.  The bite of dry winter wind on your face.  The difficulty breathing wind swept single digit temps.  Ankle deep mud on a walk in the woods.  Simply experience it.  Create a memory.  Find the beauty in your surroundings and the magic associated with getting to live through this time and space.

Totally not trying to sound all new-age and cosmically connected at all even though I feel it reads that way :lol:    Point is, life is truly wondrous when you take a moment to let go of the negative drag society deftly lays upon our shoulders and experience a moment in time.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

This sounds weird to say but I would almost rather have 30-35 and sunny over 45-50 and clouds. 

Not really. By feb, 35 and full sun is like 45 real feel; can even feel closer to 50 in city scapes, if wind is completely calm. 

Also does a lot to brighten things up—lower absolute humidity levels in winter and no vegetation maximize ISR in the biosphere, right at the surface. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Still looks fine, it’s a bit “troughier” out west but that’s what you need for the storms. Just don’t want the mega trough out in the PAC NW. 

the jet is equatorward rather than poleward... makes a pretty big difference. looks like an open STJ meeting up with confluence

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_53.thumb.png.79c2c944ae8468db0b702f60824a18ea.pnggfs-ens_uv250_namer_51.thumb.png.3be39498de31e66c96e0634ce6e87d3b.png

5 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Not really. By feb, 35 and full sun is like 45 real feel; can even feel closer to 50 in city scapes, if wind is completely calm. 

Also does a lot to brighten things up—lower absolute humidity levels in winter and no vegetation maximize ISR in the biosphere, right at the surface. 

What I do love in the winter, especially now is my office room at home has east facing windows, and with the neighbor cutting down the two pine trees last year I get ample sunshine blasting in the room so it can be like 20 out and as long as it is sunny I get toasty. 

• Like 1