Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Thread 3: Obs and Disco

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, TowsonTownT said:

And don't lose sight of the best part of this, that it won't be above freezing for most of us for a number of days. Except Georgetown of course, above freezing there already plus intense sun angle the next few days.

Georgetown to see highs in the 70s. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Solution Man said:
KLWX_loop.gif?refreshed=1705362859375

Fixed

1 hour ago, Warm Nose said:

There's a known radar hole in the Shen Valley due to terrain. That being said, it does look a decent amount of drier air is moving this way.

57 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

A great way to overcome that is look at the ASOS stations in WV. So long as they have visibility under 7 miles there's still snow coming our way.

40 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

That dryslot to the west is real. Just reached here and it crushed the rates significantly it's all pixie dust now. Headed east on radar ...

Yep, NWS Blacksburg/Charleston and Sterling ALL leave a whole basically up and to the west of I-81, especially in light events. In my county the Blacksburg radar leaves a 'V' up through the eastern side of the county and north due to blockage from I believe Poor Mountain down in Roanoke area. That said, I've had light snow/pixie ALL day and just crossed the 2 inch mark at 7 pm. I've gotten half of that amount again in last hour lol. 

• Like 2

Just now, wxdude64 said:

Yep, NWS Blacksburg/Charleston and Sterling ALL leave a whole basically up and to the west of I-81, especially in light events. In my county the Blacksburg radar leaves a 'V' up through the eastern side of the county and north due to blockage from I believe Poor Mountain down in Roanoke area. That said, I've had light snow/pixie ALL day and just crossed the 2 inch mark at 7 pm. I've gotten half of that amount again in last hour lol. 

The Petersburg snow hole. It causes weenie hallucinations with every storm. Usually from Ji. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

0z HRRR is encouraging.  Starting to sniff out backbuilding that would keep most of us snowing until 1-2 am....N/NW for longer

I didn’t realize the end was 1-2am.  Thought it would go longer.  

2 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

it might...or redevelop early morning...hard to say

I know just want it to last…when you might not eat again for a while you want to fill up when you can.  It snowed all day and never hit 30.  Can’t complain really 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

0z HRRR is encouraging.  Starting to sniff out backbuilding that would keep most of us snowing until 1-2 am....N/NW for longer

Only took the entire day but it is finally catching on to the fact that there’s a storm. Happy for it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3