Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Thread 3: Obs and Disco

stormtracker

1 minute ago, ovechkin said:

Steady light snow in Wheaton,  but despite a good temp of 27 and mid-January, not sticking but it's high noon and tiny flakes. 

Is your road treated? It's also the middle of the day. The sun can make it through clouds. Need rates or sun to go down even with 27 degree temps. 

16 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Home from CT. Moco death band setting up early it appears. Getting the hazy look with light snow now. Awesome. 

So, I sort of captured that nice "hazy" look of snow in the streetlights at 3:20-ish this morning when the first light round came through, which Bob alludes to in his quote here...love to watch snow falling at any time, but especially at night.  :) 

image.thumb.jpeg.5356f8513ab2b8165d27e6847564840c.jpeg

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, hstorm said:

Fairfax announced this fall that they won’t do virtual on snow days this year. Not sure about other districts. 

Anne Arundel already did an asynchronous virtual learning day last week (Wednesday). The funny part was they were obviously previously prepared and my second grader’s unit was all about snow. The kids thought it was silly learning about snow when it was bright and sunny outside on a weather closure day. 

9 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Is your road treated? It's also the middle of the day. The sun can make it through clouds. Need rates or sun to go down even with 27 degree temps. 

On a side street that isn't treated, but rates and flake size aren't great... for now. 

47 minutes ago, JenkinsJinkies said:

Gone are the days where a 12"+ storm will give kids a week off. I got a week off Senior year from the 2016 storm, so I got to experience the last of it.

Fcps for once (maybe first time ever???) made a good decision: Fairfax County Public Schools announced that the school district will be reverting to its former policy for snow days for the 2023-24 school year. This decision means there will be no virtual learning days when school is closed due to inclement weather.

4 minutes ago, birdsofprey02 said:

Anne Arundel already did an asynchronous virtual learning day last week (Wednesday). The funny part was they were obviously previously prepared and my second grader’s unit was all about snow. The kids thought it was silly learning about snow when it was bright and sunny outside on a weather closure day. 

Asynchronous is a fancy term for "you do homework without any help from us and we'll act like this is a 'real' school day".

• Like 1