• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

11 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Yep. As others pointed out, times have changed. It never used to be cancelled ahead of time for borderline events, because sometimes they bust. But posters made good points  on why it's reasonable to cancel beforehand these days. 

I still can't get over the fact that we can't even get a dusting on car tops here today. This is one of the most disappointing events that we've had in recent years. 

Also, a LOT of staff in North Jersey live in Ocean and Monmouth counties. If they aren't coming in, either because their own kids are off from school or they just don't want the hassle of driving and can burn a personal or sick day, then you have kids in school with not enough staff. And since they outsourced the subs to an almost minimum wage outfit that can't seem to find anyone who doesn't have a felony record, they can't get subs anymore. This mean putting the kids in the auditorium or cafeteria with a few beleaguered staff members who immediately regret coming in, and definitely won't the next time. 31 years experience here......

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Were you around in 94? We ran out of days. Went to June 30th. Part of that was Whitman's decision to declare a state of emergency in NJ for....frigid temps ( talk about Murphy all you want, there is precedence here ). Schools heard that and closed for the WEEK. And what did her education secretary say? ( Leo Klagholz, who never worked in a public school ) " I heard the governor declare a state of emergency; I did not hear her say to close the schools." Private schools, of course, did not bother to make up all the days, but we did. I was in Elizabeth where they normally didn't close for snow.

I'm NYC based, and ran a school in Queens.  As a student, from K all the way through 12, school was only closed twice for inclement weather: Hurricane Gloria in 1986 and the Blizzard of 1996.  We got hit locally very badly by the 93 Noreaster, but schools were still open that day.  None of us from my area made it in.

The snow that we got once I became a teacher and then principal was on a completely different level than anything I saw growing up.  But NYC schools are under mayoral control, and who the mayor is made a big impact on whether or not we got a snow day.  DeBlasio was quick to close, while Bloomberg avoided it at all costs.  DeBlasio being a Brooklyn guy and Bloomberg a Manhattan guy might have a lot to do with that.  It's hard for Manhattan folks to imagine how hard it is to get around the other four boroughs during and after a bad snowstorm!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kjtc1979 said:

I'm NYC based, and ran a school in Queens.  As a student, from K all the way through 12, school was only closed twice for inclement weather: Hurricane Gloria in 1986 and the Blizzard of 1996.  We got hit locally very badly by the 93 Noreaster, but schools were still open that day.  None of us from my area made it in.

The snow that we got once I became a teacher and then principal was on a completely different level than anything I saw growing up.  But NYC schools are under mayoral control, and who the mayor is made a big impact on whether or not we got a snow day.  DeBlasio was quick to close, while Bloomberg avoided it at all costs.  DeBlasio being a Brooklyn guy and Bloomberg a Manhattan guy might have a lot to do with that.  It's hard for Manhattan folks to imagine how hard it is to get around the other four boroughs during and after a bad snowstorm!

I do remember Bloomberg shutting down in March 2003 or 4 for a storm that never accumulated much. We'd had a run of big storms by then. You're right, the monster storms we saw in the 2000's were on another level. I believe they were an anomaly connected to climate change, and that we may have reached a tipping point where normal snows become more and more rare. But I'm not a scientist. I've just read this may happen at some point. No one can say when.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FPizz said:

On top of the crust from Tuesday there is nearly 1.5".  On my deck an inch.  But all other area's minus my back paver walkway its just wet.  Hoping to get out later to have a drink withh friends.

A bunch of us are taking the kids to WOP at 2pm and we are bringing beers. Come by for a drink.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Sorry. It really was all about a northern band that we got lucky with 

Thanks. I'm glad you have a nice event in Metuchen! Here it is finally starting to dust the cars and my porch a little bit. We do have a little over a half inch (I measured 0.6") on top of the old snow. Maybe we can get to an inch. As Stormlover said, at least it's freshening up the old snow and trees a little bit. 

Hopefully we can get a bigger event in February that gives the entire area good accumulations. 

1 minute ago, Poker2015 said:

A bunch of us are taking the kids to WOP at 2pm and we are bringing beers. Come by for a drink.

Wish my kids were younger for that still.  They are pissed school was closed today since they wanted to go to ski club at the high school.  So far ski club is batting zero, 0-3 with trips the past 3 Fridays.  I'm "working" until 5, but thanks for invite.  

Just now, winterwx21 said:

Thanks. I'm glad you have a nice event in Metuchen! Here it is finally starting to dust the cars and my porch a little bit. We do have a little over a half inch (I measured 0.6") on top of the old snow. Maybe we can get to an inch. As Stormlover said, at least it's freshening up the old snow and trees a little bit. 

Hopefully we can get a bigger event in February that gives the entire area good accumulations. 

I hope…the start of February looks very warm. 

• Like 1

Our latest preliminary totals as of 1 pm...
Central Park: 0.1"  
JFK: 0.1"  
LGA: 0.6"
EWR: 0.2" 
ISP: T"
BDR: 0.3" 
NWS office (Upton, NY): 0.7"

Other unofficial reports: 
Commack, NY: 1.2"
Monroe, NY: 1.0"
Danbury, CT: 1.2"

NYC at 1.8 YTD which might beat last years least snowiest winter

• Like 1

Can't find a traffic cam on NJDOT site that shows anything but wet roads.

State of Emergency and NJDOT Commercial Travel Ban?  Was totally uncalled for.  Dilutes the message when one is actually needed. 

Was not THAT long ago that States of Emergency during winter storms were reserved for 12"+, blowing/drifting and heavy rates of fall so as to actually impede travel.  This was never any of that.

Then they wonder why people are apathetic and don't pay attention.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Friends update from Mt. Laurel:

Light snow, sometimes moderate but small flakes.  Temperature holding at 30.  Total snow so far 2.8".

No sticking on paved surfaces.

Similar to here on the turnpike in Swedesboro NJ. (Exit 2) except we are up to 3.5" of powdery snow.

Surprisingly the main roads are still very passable. I'm not sure if it is from the residual salt from the 1/16 event, or is it due to the filtered sun appearing thru the clouds. (NOT a deep gray overcast at this time)

1 minute ago, MANDA said:

Can't find a traffic cam on NJDOT site that shows anything but wet roads.

State of Emergency and NJDOT Commercial Travel Ban?  Was totally uncalled for.  Dilutes the message when one is actually needed. 

Was not THAT long ago that States of Emergency during winter storms were reserved for 12"+, blowing/drifting and heavy rates of fall so as to actually impede travel.  This was never any of that.

Then they wonder why people are apathetic and don't pay attention.

See my previous post. This isn't new. Whitman declared a state of emergency for a week because it was COLD. I mean, it really was cold, but ya know, we have heat in the modern world....and we did in 1994.

35 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

See my previous post. This isn't new. Whitman declared a state of emergency for a week because it was COLD. I mean, it really was cold, but ya know, we have heat in the modern world....and we did in 1994.

Was that the year of ice on the roads for 2 weeks

• Like 1

Nothing but white rain here all day. Not going to stick to pavement especially with all of the salt still present from Monday. 

Hard to believe that this pattern didn't deliver a big one after all of those cutters but it is what it is. GFS has above average temps through at least the first week of February from here on out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Nothing but white rain here all day. Not going to stick to pavement especially with all of the salt still present from Monday. 

Hard to believe that this pattern didn't deliver a big one after all of those cutters but it is what it is. GFS has above average temps through at least the first week of February from here on out.

Hopefully we get another period in Feb otherwise it's a 01-02, 11-12 style winter with a 7-10 day stretch in Jan and then torch rest of way

• Like 1