• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential extensive winter event, I-95 west and with again a chance for NYC first inch(es) of snow Mon or more likely Tue Jan 16, 2024 (serves as OBS thread as well)

wdrag

13 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Seems to me we had a rare case where high res models overestimated the WAA induced QPF overnight....usually its the reverse that happens but probably due to the overall setup being weak we had a less common case where they overdid things.

The forcing should be a bit better Fri if it evolves. Just concerned if it's soley the inverted trough that lots will be screwed by it. Always difficult to know where 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I hope so, because there were likely some additional minor accumulations.

Of course we all know that from the observations after 7:00 there had to be at least several tenths of an inch (0.3-0.5 maybe) added to the 1.4 inch storm total at the park but their history is not to add to the total and just ignore it like it never happened.

It will probably be the case again unless someone that cares is measuring at the Park today. The only time they seemed to get somewhat accurate measurements was when they had the Conservatory doing the measurements at the Park several years ago, and that lasted 4-5 years. Not sure why that relationship ended.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SBUWX23 said:

The forcing should be a bit better Fri if it evolves. Just concerned if it's soley the inverted trough that lots will be screwed by it. Always difficult to know where 

It'll be north of where currently shown, you can count on that much...not sure I have seen one not go north over time

• Haha 1

Just now, HVSnowLover said:

I don't want to complain about a snow/frozen event but this storm has been meh. The snow rates were putrid and now it's slush with some icing.  

Beautiful wintry day.. 

Temps in the lows 20s, 2-3" of snow outside & steady lgt snow throughout the day. 

Its pretty much going as expected 

• Like 1

From Upton

Also, latter half of this afternoon, temperatures are forecast to lower more from NW to SE, with column cooling and surface to
7-8 kft still has much moisture. Looking for snow to redevelop and allow for snow to mix back in from west to east. This will
be pretty brief for Eastern Suffolk but longer farther west.

9 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Just posted on fb

Here are the latest Snowfall (storm total) reports for our 6 climate sites.

EWR - 2.1

NYC - 1.6

LGA - 1.9

JFK - 2.0

ISP - 2.1

BDR - 2.0

Everyone at 2 except the park 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

So what happened meteorologically with this that it’s basically raining with temps in the 20’s for many. I’m assuming that means the upper levels are too warm? How did that happen when the storm started off so cold and with lots of cold air in place?

Curious and don’t know enough to explain. 

Low offshore deepened just enough to push associated 850-925 above freezing temps back to n.w. as it passed, reverse process now underway, soundings showed +1 at 925 and +2 (C) at 850 mbs. Low is not very vigorous so boundary layer inflow was too weak to bring temps up above freezing at surface.  

General comment, link below is excellent for tracking upper air conditions: 

http://spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=16&parm=925mb&underlay=1&source=1

• Thanks 1