• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential extensive winter event, I-95 west and with again a chance for NYC first inch(es) of snow Mon or more likely Tue Jan 16, 2024 (serves as OBS thread as well)

wdrag

Not sure when the 18z GFS became such an important run. Wait for the 0z runs and the full range of guidance and if there is agreement before determining likely outcomes. I agree if most models are not on board by 0Z tonight the chances of something are a lot lower although still could change even up to around 48 hours out with these type of events.  

22 minutes ago, lee59 said:

How do people say it is over. Do they have a crystal ball, there is still 2 months left in winter.

There is understandable frustration given what has been experienced for the last year and a half of winter but this storm isn't over and even if it fails winter isn't over.

14 minutes ago, Rjay said:

That's pretty much where I'm at with this right now.  Could easily be wrong though.  

I happen to agree with you. Seems like good chunk of these storms amp and go north.

January 16-17, 2024:

The complexity of the situation (which shortwave to emphasize, location and impact of the polar vortex, etc.) continued to play out in poor run-to-run continuing and lack of agreement among the guidance. That could be the case into Sunday before the guidance begins to converge and grow more consistent.

Historic experience with the forecast pattern suggests that a light event would be favored in the northern Mid-Atlantic region with somewhat higher prospects for a moderate event in southern New England. Until the guidance begins to move toward consensus, it makes sense to stick with historic experience rather than riding the model roller coaster from the peaks of certain models at certain cycles to the valleys of other guidance.

image.png.d5c287cae85a27fff39fedf7ebf08a8a.png

The WPC's probabilistic Winter Storm Severity Index shows about a 50%-60% probability of a minor impact and a 30% probability of a moderate impact (40% in parts of southern New England). For now, scenarios ranging from a moderate snowfall to little or none remain on the table. There's no need to commit to amounts this early, especially given the complexity of the pattern and resulting uncertainty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Eps is slightly further east than 12z.

I wonder if the cutter is messing with the models .

Any time you have two storms tracking in close proximity relatively speaking and one is significantly large or strong there’s a chance you will have some impact on the forecast of the 2nd event so it’s not out of the question at all