• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

2 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I'm disappointed in you Detroit area guys for burying the lead. East side of the city is getting slammed with TSSN (ton of lightning on tracker, and per my mom).

Yea saw some lightning a few times. I was expecting more rain here on east side but its been all snow and been coming down for 4 hours now. Nothing significant but definitly a pleasant surprise. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Just to echo what’s already been said about lake influence, this had nothing to do with the lake and everything to do with the secondary low not taking over as early as previously progged. You had a primary low bomb out and track directly over Cook county into a stale antecedent airmass. Even if the lake were frozen over, that would still be a rainstorm outside of the preliminary WAA, which is exactly what happened.

Exactly.  Being directly under the surface low when it hasn’t fully occluded is never great.  Maybe a clipper, bit a major southern stream system is going to be warm in the middle if the warm sector hasn’t fully occluded, which was the problem.

4 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Yea saw some lightning a few times. I was expecting more rain here on east side but its been all snow and been coming down for 4 hours now. Nothing significant but definitly a pleasant surprise. 

I'd say this is significant considering we were going to get screwed especially us on the east side

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I'd say this is significant considering we were going to get screwed especially us on the east side

Decent dry slotting is surging in. 

Best case scenario, the precipitation tapers to flurries/drizzle before the warm tongue completely takes over.

Just now, Powerball said:

Decent dry slotting is surging in. 

Best case scenario, the precipitation tapers to flurries/drizzle before the warm tongue completely takes over.

It filled in quite a bit, and when it does come in it might be as it gets colder.

24 minutes ago, KeenerWx said:

This morning was briefly exciting, but rain throughout the day has eliminated nearly all snowcover. Unless a miracle happens with passing snow showers overnight, we’ll go into the deep cold with a bare ground. Even so, it’s been fun tracking the storm and watching it evolve over the past several days. Congrats to those who cashed in! 

On somewhat of a futility watch - if we don’t get appreciable accumulation in the next two weeks, will be slightly behind the disaster of ‘22-‘23 winter to-date. Nuts. :blink:

Woof. We made it out with snow cover, though nothing like what was around this morning. It's a gloppy mess that is about to become a glacier. When the rain hit, it became some of the worst working conditions I've had in quite awhile. In the end, the morning was fantastic...the afternoon was horrific.

Came back to flash frozen car doors and wind whipped light snow after work today. No accumulations but man does it feel wintry out. For those in LSX purview here's the AFD: 

Expanded slight chance (15%) to chance (50%) PoPs southward through southeast Missouri and southwest Illinois this evening and continued the potential through the next few hours. This is being supported by low/mid-level saturation, a weak trough and a couple of compact mid-level lobes of vorticity, which are providing lift behind the departing system. Persistent flurries and occasional light snow has led to brief visibility reductions, a few as low as 2-3 miles. Accumulations aren`t expected to be much more than a dusting where light snow results, but it will be enough to create wispy art work (via wind-driven, fractured snow grains) on roadways, as it blows around. A few slick spots cannot be rules out, especially with the drastically cold temperatures and strong winds. Light snow potential will slowly taper southwest to northeast with most activity lifting out of the area by 06z

33 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Its funny, more often than not when dtx issues a wwa, we overachieve and underachieve when they are bullish with wsw. But yea its a legit blizzard out. I always gotta remind myself to enjoy it because it may be the only event we get this winter.

9 minutes ago, outflow said:

Power outages are going up fast across se mi with 33,000 for dte energy now. Trees are really stressed already up here in the thumb and starting to loose some bigger limbs. Probably about 3 inches so far

Yep.  I am one of those without power. Not surprised by the outages. 

Fun storm :snowing:

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

MLI is up to 14.7” and DVN is up to 13.6” as of 6PM.

10 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Returns blossoming on KDVN again as the deformation zone starts to crank. They might pull off some huge totals.

For MLI this already ranks in the top 10 in terms of biggest snowfalls on record, right around the edge of the top 5 currently.

33 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Woof. We made it out with snow cover, though nothing like what was around this morning. It's a gloppy mess that is about to become a glacier. When the rain hit, it became some of the worst working conditions I've had in quite awhile. In the end, the morning was fantastic...the afternoon was horrific.

Just the way things break sometimes. Doesn’t discount the fun that was had in the morning. Things have been rather boring for a long stretch locally. I’ll get excitement from the most average of events. :lol:

Agree about the afternoon, though. I was only out and about for a bit and it was downright miserable.

• Like 1