• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

3 minutes ago, frostfern said:

This is frustrating.  Doubts creeping in.

Don't lose hope - latest from GRR:

.UPDATE...
Issued at 1150 AM EST Fri Jan 12 2024

The 12Z DTX sounding was very dry below 700 mb with a dew pt
depression of 15C noted at 850 mb. That dry air has been fending
off snow to some extent this morning but that should not last too
much longer given the very strong moisture influx arriving from
the south this afternoon ahead of the approaching low.

Snow has been developing across northern Indiana and far southern
MI with 1/2 mile or less vsbys noted at BEH and SBN and some very
encouraging/increasing radar trends are occurring farther
south... south of IND.

So while recent GRR radar trends are not very impressive and the
dry air erosion could continue for another few hours, do not be
fooled. The widespread, heavier snow will still all come together
by 4 PM, with inch per hour rates snowfall still anticipated
between roughly 4 PM and Midnight. Ensemble guidance remains quite
strong in this regard so there are no changes to the forecast at
this time.

Mid level dry punch arrives from the south after 10 PM or so and
brings a temporary diminishing trend before additional snow
showers redevelop and intensify late tonight/early Saturday around
the southern portion of the upper low. Winds will also become
relative lighter during the snowfall coverage/intensity lull
later tonight when the baggy pressure pattern with the sfc
low/occlusion will be overhead... before cranking up again
Saturday morning as the low lifts north.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AWMT30 said:

@Stevo6899 Looking real good for some big time rates later on this evening for us. Things might work in our favor for once...... 

I'm afraid sleet will mix in but about 50 miles west towards Pontiac into Oakland county may jackpot. Definitely the heaviest snow we get around here as far as rates go.

3 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

I have some sort of precip falling, but through the window I cannot tell if it is rain or sleet. 

Drizzling slightly over here. If whatever precip does develop overhead falls as not rain that'd be great 

Latest thoughts ... Rather slow improvements will return to n IL as n.w. lobe of dual low is slowly robbed of warmth, better snow rates will return to Chicago after 6 pm and peak around midnight as wind backs to NE then NNE. Further south in IL, done for a while then picks up to moderate snow and blowing snow around 7-9 pm. ... Northern IN holds on to heavy wet snow for a while, dry slots, brief rain/snow mix, eventually N to NW winds bring in lake effect after midnight, blizzard conditions for a while SBN to La Porte. 

Into w Michigan, slow saturation of surface layers will result in gradual irregular increase in rates until S+ by the time primary low is near FWA and secondary is near s end of Lake Michigan late afternoon-evening, then periods of S+ merging eventually with SW+ frolake effect by morning. That will be the general scenario east to Jackson-Ann Arbor, interval of heavy wet snow likely in Detroit around 5-7 pm and after that intermittent light snow with brief moderate snowfall in decaying lake effect. 

Wisconsin, apart from some mixing issues at lakefront south of Racine-Kenosha, will get into bands of heavy snow separated by light to moderate, slowly accumulating to reach 12-15 in totals. Winds will increase from northeast and at least blizzard conditions in open rural areas if not all areas. N lower Michigan will rock as discussed in thread.

Don't see total bust for MSP but 1-2" blowing around in very cold wind, instead of 4-6" not all that different, would not want to be out in it by tonight (at my location, crystal clear and -8 F at 9:30 PST). 

Toronto area I would agree with what I read earlier, 5-10 cm this evening, snow, sleet and/or ice pellet showers could include thunder. 

For many in IL it will be a case of two storm periods and a long pause lasting rest of daylight hours but part two could be quite intense as well. Gradient around secondary low tightens rapidly after about 21z.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Roger Smith said:

Latest thoughts ... Rather slow improvements will return to n IL as n.w. lobe of dual low is slowly robbed of warmth, better snow rates will return to Chicago after 6 pm and peak around midnight as wind backs to NE then NNE. Further south in IL, done for a while then picks up to moderate snow and blowing snow around 7-9 pm. ... Northern IN holds on to heavy wet snow for a while, dry slots, brief rain/snow mix, eventually N to NW winds bring in lake effect after midnight, blizzard conditions for a while SBN to La Porte. 

Into w Michigan, slow saturation of surface layers will result in gradual irregular increase in rates until S+ by the time primary low is near FWA and secondary is near s end of Lake Michigan late afternoon-evening, then periods of S+ merging eventually with SW+ frolake effect by morning. That will be the general scenario east to Jackson-Ann Arbor, interval of heavy wet snow likely in Detroit around 5-7 pm and after that intermittent light snow with brief moderate snowfall in decaying lake effect. 

Wisconsin, apart from some mixing issues at lakefront south of Racine-Kenosha, will get into bands of heavy snow separated by light to moderate, slowly accumulating to reach 12-15 in totals. Winds will increase from northeast and at least blizzard conditions in open rural areas if not all areas. N lower Michigan will rock as discussed in thread.

Don't see total bust for MSP but 1-2" blowing around in very cold wind, instead of 4-6" not all that different, would not want to be out in it by tonight (at my location, crystal clear and -8 F at 9:30 PST). 

Toronto area I would agree with what I read earlier, 5-10 cm this evening, snow, sleet and/or ice pellet showers could include thunder. 

For many in IL it will be a case of two storm periods and a long pause lasting rest of daylight hours but part two could be quite intense as well. Gradient around secondary low tightens rapidly after about 21z.  

I'll take what you're selling gladly but I'm a little skeptical of much accumulation later

Not sure if it’s a lack of forcing, dry air from the north, a combination, or something else, but the snow band has pretty much stopped advancing towards me. It also looks like it’s falling apart. I’d say 1-2” is a total bust for MSP after what almost all of the cams showed yesterday. I may get lucky with a couple inches on the backside but just to my northwest will probably end up with nothing after models showed upwards of 3-6” all the way into central MN. MPX mentioned in their AFD that the initial wave developed way further south than forecast which meant we didn’t get any WAA snow out of this. Our only hope is some consolation snow on the backside tonight and tomorrow.

I'll take what you're selling gladly but I'm a little skeptical of much accumulation later

I fully agree. Much of Chicago metro Is done per the HRR. Looks like we get some wrap around overnight but the low rapidly lifts northeast by then. I’d guess maybe an inch of additional accumulation at most per the HRR. Looks like the NAM from 24 hours ago was spot on.

• Like 1

The drizzle in the past hour temporarily switched to fat flakes under one of the ‘newer’ radar returns that filled in across N. Cook county. A lot of drip-drip ongoing. Still hoping for a few more surprise inches in the region despite latest short term models and guidance. 

• Like 1

Getting a rain/snow mix at times. I think we're around 2" but I'll go measure a little later. HRRR seems to be handling things well in this area. If it continues to be right we should end up with another 2-3" before the dry slot moves in for a short time tonight. Then the wraparound should be fun overnight. 

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

I'm afraid sleet will mix in but about 50 miles west towards Pontiac into Oakland county may jackpot. Definitely the heaviest snow we get around here as far as rates go.

There won't be sleet, the warm air isn't aloft its at the surface for us. It will either be snow or rain.

• Like 1